May buy new T/C Predator looking for caliber input (based on my situation)

Lange

Hi all,

I had a Venture Predator .204 but had to sell last spring but I kept the scope(Burris Predator Quest) and T/C Branded sling so just looking to replace now I have some funds. Will be a all around varmint gun to include predator. Have a 4.5x14 in the scope which should be good for all around use i'd believe.

Currently have a Remington 700 VTR SS .223 which i've been loading for and been my all around .223. When thinking of another rifle i've thought about possibly running two .223s. Since the twist is a bit slower in the T/C(1/12) could shoot shoot light 40-55s more vs my VTR 1-9. I could do those with the 1/9 yes but since my VTR SS is mainly for target and im considering what benefit two .223s would do.

Some may say to get a different caliber but i've had a hard time seeing the huge benefit from that. I do reload and have a lot of .223 brass and components already for one, and I like the overall ammo availability cost etc. I just wonder though if its best to get another caliber, but basically comes down to .204 or 22-250 for other choices.

If anyone vouches I should really go for another caliber what are the benefits over running two bolt .223s? I have a 25-06 if I need something with huge punch so thats not really a problem. Someday I plan on a bull barrel varmint gun just not now, and could save the alt caliber till then.

For power and bullet drop vs predator I plan on trying 50 grain soft points or the like and attempting chest shots mainly. I know things can not always go smoothly with ones shots vs Coyotes and such but I will not be trying deliberate butt shots etc and do my best for vital shots.

So then in everyones opinion would it be cool idea to run two .223s or get something else for now? I just know that 22-250 while faster by several hundred FPS(400-600 over .223 seems like) burns barrel alot faster as well. .204 is a interesting caliber , I did like it but weights are really limited. Another is the Venture Predator has a short 22" barrel as well which may hurt the fullness of the 22-250 a bit, and the .204 but maybe not quite as much. Those are some of my main concerns.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lange,good question and a nice spot to be in as well.Gotta love this sport. As for your choices, 1st you could get a 2nd 223 with an 8 or a 7 twist brl .Shoot the heavies. 2nd you could get a 22-250 and shoot hornady superformance,and be very capable and pleased with your choice.3rd is one that intrigues me the most...the .204 ruger . Have not owned one as of yet,223 and 22-250 yes . A couple of each , now owning just a bvss 22-250 . Very pleased with its perfomance using 50 and 55 gr hornady ammo.If it were me,I wouldnt have a problem getting a venture predator in either 22-250 or 204.Les Johnson uses the 22-250 and your scope if I`m not mistaken .Good luck.Keep in touch with us. Gary

22-250 would get my vote. Use the same bullets for reloading both and a lot easier than sorting brass from the 204. Flip side the 204 uses small rifle primers and would be good in the wind too.

I generally grab the 25-06 or 22-250 for coyotes.

My vote is for the 22-250. EXTREMELY versatile cartridge. I have a standard Venture in 22-250 and the accuracy is way more than one should expect from a lower cost factory rifle. The 1 in 12 twist handles a wide range of bullet weights also.

I have all three and love them. Its sounds like you want one mainly for yotes, if that's the case I would go with the 22-250, I call it the 50/500 gun, anything 50lb and under out to 500yds. Plus as stated above, interchangeable bullets. So many choices, to little money.

Here Kitty Kitty

I have all three. In your situation I would increase my range with a 22-250. They don't really burn up barrels THAT fast, if you take care of them, and don't drive it like you stole it.

Thanks all for the input. Wondering how much of a velocity loss a 22" barrel is on a 22-250? Know on a .223 it's hardly none at all but a 22-250 is some but is it significant or okay? Think you've all informed me a 22-250 would be good in a T/C, my current .223 with a 1/9 twist should shoot about anything anyhow so may as well get something else.

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeSell the 223 & 06 and build a rifle, put quality optics up top.

Thanks for the feedback, however my .223 is way to useful and valuable to me. Gotten under 1/3 Moa with reloads and I've invested a lot into it. Also I researched a lot before buying the 25-06 and decided on it for deer sized game and some cross varmint. I do understand the importance of good optics on a rifle is good advice!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LangeThanks all for the input. Wondering how much of a velocity loss a 22" barrel is on a 22-250? Know on a .223 it's hardly none at all but a 22-250 is some but is it significant or okay? Think you've all informed me a 22-250 would be good in a T/C, my current .223 with a 1/9 twist should shoot about anything anyhow so may as well get something else.

No way to tell. I have heard it said that losing 2" of barrel will reduce velocity by "X" amount. That is simply not true all of the time. Depends on how tight the chamber is and a few other factors. I have a 22" barrel chambered in 243 Win that is faster than my buddies 24" barrel......both shooting the exact same handloads.

Originally Posted By: BowhuntOriginally Posted By: LangeThanks all for the input. Wondering how much of a velocity loss a 22" barrel is on a 22-250? Know on a .223 it's hardly none at all but a 22-250 is some but is it significant or okay? Think you've all informed me a 22-250 would be good in a T/C, my current .223 with a 1/9 twist should shoot about anything anyhow so may as well get something else.

No way to tell. I have heard it said that losing 2" of barrel will reduce velocity by "X" amount. That is simply not true all of the time. Depends on how tight the chamber is and a few other factors. I have a 22" barrel chambered in 243 Win that is faster than my buddies 24" barrel......both shooting the exact same handloads.

Understood, doubt it could be much of a loss, i'm gathering up to 50-80fps 100 on the high end. I don't think ill be too concerned about it, the T/C has a 1/12 twist which is very nice for a 22-250. I'm going to check with my dealer about possibly ordering this week! I'm excited let you all know. Just ordered a die and some brass and bullets for loading as well.

Back