6mm coyote bullets 87g hornady bthp vs Berger 87 vld hunting vs speed 85g btsp?

zr600

Does anyone have any experience with any of these bullets on coyotes? These will be shot out of my 6x6.8 ar. I want a heavier bullet for the longer shots that I am always running into my shots are 200 plus out to 6-700. I have found good accurate loads in all three of these bullets now i just want to hear the experience on how they performed and how they were on fur?

The 87gr Vmax is what I use. Fur friendly it is not...! I've also used the 87gr VLD hunting, they aren't as bad on fur as the Vmax. They both do well out to 600 yards for me, but.. I like the cost of the Vmax better
smile.gif

Well I think I have voided the hornadys because I can't get them to group any better after 100 yards. They group great half moa at 100 but at 200 open up to 2-3". I have tried 3 different powders cci 450 and rem 7 1/2 primers with no luck at further distances. So I guess ill be shooting the speers 85 btsp. They shot 3/4" at 200 and all touching darn near at 100.

I dont know how these will work, but Im trying out the newish 95gr TMK's this year. Read some good info on the 69's 22cal bullets working good for coyotes so I thought the 95's might be the same.

Wont know until later in the season when I have to reach out a little further for the stubborn yotes.

I have used them all, didn't like the vmax, bergers have shot very well but are still a little harsh on fur, the speer is going to do the best on fur from my experience. It also is a high BC bullet, that has always shot very well for me.

I have had extremely good luck with the sierra 80gr "blitz" on coyotes, deer, and pigs out of the 6x45ai at 3100 fps. REALLY wanted the 95 tmk to shoot but havnt had any luck in two different barrels. The regular 95 smk is very accurate and TERRIBLE at killing things! I think i am going to have to give the 85gr speer a try and see if it can be my new "do everything" bullet.

Another option would be the Berger 95 VLD. I've shot quite a few coyotes with this bullet out of a 6 Dasher at 3060. Wasn't hard on fur at all.

The 87 gr. HBTHP is my go-to bullet in the 243 WSSM, both in accuracy and performance on predators and your 6x6.8 should just about duplicate velocities in the 243 WSSM. Stellar preformance on WT deer and hogs as well.

Regards,
hm

hm1996 what were you getting for velocity out of them with a 243wssm? I'm finding the hornadys pretty accurate at 100-200 yards but when I have shot them at 300 plus I wasn't pleased with the groups I was getting. Even at 200 they are starting to open up quit a bit were the bergers and speers are till holding a nice tight group. The 87 g Bergers at 300 yards shot a 2.1" group the hornadies shot over 6". Even at 200 yards they are only 1 moa or a little more. We're the Bergers and speers were shooting a 4 shot group 3/4".

Most of my load development was done in '07 and at 80 YOA, I can't remember what I ate for breakfast, but looked back at my records and I tried Varget and H450 w/the Hornadies, both produced around 3100 fps. Settled on the Varget which shot 1/2 MOA @ 100. Shot some 200 yd. groups which did equally well. Didn't do any target shooting beyond 200 due to lack of range facilities but didn't have any problems holding minute of coyote when the longer shots were presented.

Regards,
hm

I have gotten up to 3000 fps but they weren't the most accurate loads. The most accurate loads were 2900 to 2950 fps.

My most accurate load was 2996 avg. w/Varget. My rifle liked H450 best w/100 gr. NSB at avg. 3006 fps.

Reagards,
hm

Back