thermal scopes

old cat

You guys that have thermals scopes can you positively id a coyote at 200 yards or more. Not by the way he acts or walks, but by image.

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresNo, not even close
+1
Originally Posted By: old catYou guys that have thermals scopes can you positively id a coyote at 200 yards or more. Not by the way he acts or walks, but by image.
The best setup for POSITIVE ID is thermal scan for detection and Gen 3 Nightvision to ID and shoot.

This is what I love about this site! TRUE answers to one of the most critical thermal questions out there. They last time on another site there was a question on the HD19A on how far one can spot hogs? Mind you, it was not detecting hogs but a "few" selected users and a dealer said they can spot hogs at 500 yards which is utter BS. Internet lore. While I believe they can DETECT an object that far, there is no way on earth they had PID on a hog at 500 yards! Then after the argument progressed, we see another employee of the company state, well if you can't ID, just get closer! Duh, that was the whole point to begin with.

We also see clever marketing tricks nowadays how far thermal can ID by looking at deer at looong ranges. Target specific animals as we know like a deer is a bit easy to ID, but that is NOT the true ID story with thermals.

Great thread with question and TRUE answers! Bravo!!

with what equipment?
also, what is your definition of positive ID? is it determining a coyote from a bobcat or from a fox, or a domestic dog, or from a beef calf?

Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: WhoCaresNo, not even close
+1
Originally Posted By: old catYou guys that have thermals scopes can you positively id a coyote at 200 yards or more. Not by the way he acts or walks, but by image.
The best setup for POSITIVE ID is thermal scan for detection and Gen 3 Nightvision to ID and shoot.

Yeah, we have exclusive access to large areas of State lands that are restricted access only and wildlife refuges with no humans on them at all, however they still have reefer grow operations and poachers that we have stumbled onto at night and sicced Law Enforcement and the Fish/Game Wardens on resulting in quite a few felony busts.

It is always frightening to come up on a two legged creature at night miles from anywhere where they are trespassing and worse.

Definitely need to be prepared.

I don't have any video of coyotes right now. I plan on filming a bunch come next Jan/Feb. But that will have to wait until after deer season.

I know that positively ID'ing an animal is a very big debate on this forum, I always seem to get beat up when I speak up on it. BUT - I feel I have no problem ID'ing a yote at 500 yards. I will say, I don't have domestic dogs in my area's I hunt, or other animals that walk and move like a coyote. So once I pick up the heat signature, it doesn't take but a few seconds to watch the animal to figure it out. Could I tell the difference between a fox and a coyote at those distances, absolutely not. But we don't have a whole lot of foxes around here.

I will never take a 500 yard shot while hunting, so the argument of not being 100% sure before pulling the trigger doesn't matter to me.

This has been asked a bunch of times on here. Probably myself included. I think a lot of it has to do with experience behind the gear you are using. The more you practice and use it the better chances you have on properly IDing what you're looking at.

Back