Reloading Bench Height

CalCoyote

I have looked at a lot of photos of reloading benches but it is hard for me to judge the height of the benches in the photos. How high do you prefer the main working surface your bench to be? A lower height bench of 28-32 inches would allow for a normal chair or short stool to be used. A higher working surface of 40-48 inches would require taller stool to sit at. How high is your bench and why did you want it that height?

Last edited:
In general, work benches have 40-48" table heights to allow the use of a tall stool OR standing, both comfortably, which allows you to get up and out and in and down much easier and faster. It's also easier to get down "eye level" and scope things out when the bench is raised. It also gives you the option to integrate storage vertically much more easily. At a tall bench, things on a bench back or overhead shelves is still within reach, as are items on the bottom of the bench or in drawers beneath it, so you get use of nearly the full vertical space. In a low table, you can reach drawers fairly well (although your chair and knees will likely be in the way of every drawer you need to open), but it's a bear to reach things over head, so you'll end up standing up - especially if you have overhead, wall/ceiling mounted shelves. You lose a lot of vertical storage options.

If you build a 28-32" bench, where a chair would be comfortable, you're SOL if you want to stand up, and when you have to get up and retrieve a tool, it's more effort to fully stand up out of a low chair than it is to simply step off of a stool.

One of my current benches is a low top, so I have to sit down. I'm on a rolling chair with it, so I don't ever get up, I just roll over to the cabinet to get things. My other bench is a taller top, MUCH nicer for loading and working. I end up positioning myself wrong almost EVERY time I run the press, so I'll hit the seat of my chair or my leg with the arm on my press. That has NEVER happened on my tall bench. Just a matter of scooting up closer and being bent more sitting in a chair (bent legs = forward length = @ss back = arms back = less reach = scoot forward = hit legs or chair with press handle) That's even worse when I screw up and switch my chairs around for one with arms - I might get clear so my legs and seat miss the handle, but the d@mned arms end up catching the press handle - I'll get clear, then eventually swivel and grab something else, then inadvertently swivel the arm back under the handle. Super annoying. If I wasn't on hard flooring and could roll, and if I didn't have the tall bench to do most of my work from, I'd have scrapped this low bench years ago.

If my house burned down and I did it all over again, I'd still have 2 benches, but both would be tall. If I wasn't loading as much and only had one bench, it'd be a tall bench. I use a soft-top barstool seat for my tall bench, it works out very nicely.

Good info in the post above.
One of my benches is 35.5 inches and the other is 37 inches so both were set to sit on the edge of a stool and load.
I think 38inch about as high as I would go though.

Depends on how tall you are, 5'4" or 6'6"

Mine are between 31-33"

I suggest that you measure the height of your kitchen counter tops, go from there.

Im 5 9" and med build...my bench is 37 inches high and I sit on a 24 inch bar stool and its perfect...,I have 2 press on it a rock chucker and a 50cal loader and the handle reach is perfect..you don't want it too low where you have to over work the press handle.Russ

Last edited:
Mine is 36" and I wish it was a little taller.

I'm 6'3" tall

If I build another it would be right around 44" tall.

I have some back issues and find myself wanting to stand

as much as I can.

I prefer a tall benchtop also. I cannot remember the height of mine. Its somewhere around 42" I think. I'm out of town for work so I can't go measure it at the moment. I stand when I a loading though. I am 6'1".

I'm a salmon here. I'm 5'10". My bench is 29". I actually have two benches I use . One is 6'and the other is 11' long with a total of 9 presses mounted. I much prefer sitting. My working tools are within reach so I don't have many issues there. I use a couple of rolling office chairs. I lost a medical exam stool in a divorce and it was perfect because of the swivel top and the adjustable height.

I have a 650 and a 550 on strong mounts that I can stand and operate but prefer to sit when running them.. The working platform area is right in front of me so I can see into the cases and look at them as they rotate by. I also have an older Singer sewing machine cabinet that has a fold down table that I do 90% of my prep work at along with being able to rotate around to my computer.

My shelving holds all my reference book, brass sorted by rifle in small plastic boxes and some of my powder. Under the tops the short one has a cut down entertainment center shelving area with doors that all my bullets are stored in and the long one has a 1X12 that gives me two levels for storing brass in big bins or smaller boxes.

Greg

All 3 of my reloading benches are 42". 2 eight footers and a six footer. I have shop stools that work great or sometimes I like to stand. I am 6-1 and my son is 6-3 so this height bench works for us. I do have a shorter four foot bench, but have not used it for several years, this setup was very comfortable with a standard rolling office chair. Good luck on whatever you decide to build.

Back