Prairiedog gun

I need something that shoots farther than my 22lr for pdogs, but i don't need a canon. What's the best round - .204? Doubt that I would shoot longer than 200 yards.

A heavy barreled 204 in an AR is an absolute hammer for pdogs. If you reload consider 20 practical or 17/223 (my current favorite). That 17wsm you used to have? should be great also.

204 - I sold the 17 WSM - stupid one on my part. The gun was freaking heavy and I got tired of lugging it around - probably need to hit the gym!

I'd recommend a .223 rem in a bolt gun or a .223 Wylde in an AR-15 because of the availability of brass and ammunition.

Like previously mentioned, if you're a handloader the .20 Practical or .20 Tactical are excellent choices as well.

First, once you get your taste of long range P-dog splattering, you won't limit yourself to 200 yards.
grin.gif

I have shot P-dogs with 6mm WOA, 22-250, 223, and 204 Ruger. All four work well, but the 6mm WOA really shines in the wind, at longer ranges. In my shooting, the 22-250 and the 204 Ruger are very close to ballistic twins. I use 50 gr. VMax bullets in the 22-250, and 39 gr. BKs in the 204 Ruger. I might have to give the slight nod to the 204, in the wind, and less recoil helps to stay on target to see the hits...Or misses. I also shoot the 50 gr. VMax bullet in my 223 Rem. P-Dog loads, which has some pretty spectacular hits at ranges I shoot the 223 Rem.

So here is my current P-dog rifle battery: 6mm WOA(AR-15), 22-250(Howa Heavy Barrel Bolt), 223(AR-15 Wylde, Tikka T3(1:12 twist)). My 204 Ruger was a Savage 16, but has been converted to a 260 Rem, and I am in between 204 Rugers at the moment. I am waiting for my rifle funds to replenish, and I will be assembling a new 204 Ruger upper, or a complete rifle, depending on the rifle fund.

My recommendation, is to start out with a HBAR profile AR-15, in either 223 Rem.(cheap available ammo), or a 204 Ruger, if you want to grow into longer range shooting. The 223 Rem. option is the cheaper way to go, both in firearms cost, and ammo cost, but if you see yourself trying to flip P-dogs, at 500 yards, in the future, go with the 204 Ruger.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeFirst, once you get your taste of long range P-dog splattering, you won't limit yourself to 200 yards.
grin.gif

I'll second this statement!! P-dogs are basically known distance targets, and setting up over towns is a great opportunity to practice range and wind calls for longer range shots. It'll take you exactly ONE trip to the prairie dog down at 200yrds with a 223rem or 204Rug before you'll decide to set up farther away on the next trip (just like you're wanting more range than your 22LR).

Personally, when you say Pdogs, I think 204R first, but even owning both, I end up taking the 223rem more often. To me, a Pdog rifle is made to be sat on a bench and swiveled, not made to be carried, so if your 17WSM was heavy, your 223rem or 204R will be every bit as heavy, or more so.

If you reload, 20 Practical, as has been said, is the best of both worlds - light and fast, but cheap and easy to find brass. If you want a round where factory ammo is available if you need it, flip a coin between 204R and 223rem. Both will take you past 400yrds on Pdogs if you can shoot them well enough, I tend to plan my set ups to give me out to 500-600yrds available with either. I think the 204R is more satisfying while blasting Pdogs, but if I only had one of the two, it would be a 223rem... I couldn't decide between them, so I have both (couldn't decide between bolt gun or AR's either...)

I am addicted to p-dog shooting. Just yesterday my brother and I blasted 525 of the rodents (yes I kept count with one of those clicker things) while "scouting for antelope". The vast majority were with 17 HRM bolt guns. In an AR, I use a .223 because of the availability and price of components. If I were to build another upper it would be a 20 Practical. Likewise, a .204 Ruger would be good. I think something along the lines of a 6mm WOA or 6mm Turbo 40 would rock.

I love using a 243AI, and it will splat them as far as I can hit them.

At more moderated ranges, even with the 223s I have shot, it's hard to spot one's own shots (I don't use brakes). I am planning to build a 20 Practical to address this.

Originally Posted By: 5spd.223 will do the job you want to use it for.

Sure will. Best all around choice I think. So do a lot of other people.

Originally Posted By: AnkenyI am addicted to p-dog shooting. Just yesterday my brother and I blasted 525 of the rodents (yes I kept count with one of those clicker things) while "scouting for antelope". The vast majority were with 17 HRM bolt guns. In an AR, I use a .223 because of the availability and price of components. If I were to build another upper it would be a 20 Practical. Likewise, a .204 Ruger would be good. I think something along the lines of a 6mm WOA or 6mm Turbo 40 would rock.
We are in the same boat pretty much, shoot the living daylights out of p-dogs year round, more so than many here and with nothing really special caliber wise.

I started out with a 220 Swift and a 6mm. I recently purchased an AR in a 223 and 6x45. Then I am having my 6mm re-barreled into a 6.5 Creedmoor. The 220 Swift 55gr ballistic tip is very devastating on prairie dogs and is very accurate. The 223 with a 60 gr ballistic tip and 6.45 with a 70 gr ballistic tip do very well out to 500 yds very easily. Can't wait to get the 6.5 Creedmoor and to up to Wyoming do a lot of shooting. I think I have all the bases covered.

Back