Squirrel Poachers...

GC

Missouri Conservation Agents recently arrested three men from Minnesota that killed 101 squirrels on a couple of northern Missouri public conservation areas. The limit for squirrels is 10 per hunter per day with a total possession limit of 20 squirrels total per hunter. Can't imagine traveling out of state to poach squirrels.

That was my thought too, I don't mind cleaning my limit, but holy cow that's a bunch of squirrels to tend to.

They can be difficult that's for sure. A bad shot can make it awful and I start to wonder if the little bit of meat I get from those small greys is even worth it but I'm a firm believer in if you kill it you eat it.

Quote:Can't imagine traveling out of state to poach squirrels.

No kidding. I can kill that many in my yard. I won't eat the dern tree rats anymore, but my neighbor does, so I give them to him.

Originally Posted By: GC Can't imagine traveling out of state to poach squirrels.

Well I guess it makes sense if you don't have enough to poach at home.
grin.gif

I cant imagine going out on a limb to poach squirrels...that said, I have to admit as far as wild game goes they are one of the best tasting. There are some people that really take their squirrel hunting seriously. I have a nephew that was in the Marines and one of his buddies nickname was "squirrel master". This cat slept, ate, lived, breathed and died squirrel hunting. He could talk about it all day. I would not have ever believed there could be that much to it had I not met him.

Maybe they thought they would get rich selling the tails to Mepps. Last I checked Mepps was paying a penny each.

Originally Posted By: msincThis cat slept, ate, lived, breathed and died squirrel hunting. He could talk about it all day. I would not have ever believed there could be that much to it had I not met him.

Makes me think of Bubba, the shrimp guy from the movie Forest Gump.

When I was growing up squirrels and rabbits were all we had to hunt. It was a big deal then.
Nowadays nobody seems to care.

About thirty years ago I know of two old timers around here that got into an argument about who was the better squirrel hunter. They decided to have a squirrel tournament and went to the woods together one cool October morning. Once there they split up agreeing to meet back at the truck at noon straight up. I don't remember exactly which one won the event but the thing that stuck with me was that one of the old guys killed 68 squirrels with a single shot Winchester M37 12 gauge. This old man always bought a 30" full choke, then sawed off 2" of barrel claiming that gave him the perfect amount of choke for squirrels and rabbits.

I remember they said they cleaned squirrels from noon until dark. The one said he killed so many that he made two trips back to the truck to unload his harvested squirrels because they were getting hard to manage. I assume the other guy killed about as many or more. Like I said, I don't remember who won. I do know these old fellers cleaned them the hard way by splitting the hide across the back and pulling from there. I'd bet those squirrels were a mess by the time those old geezers got done wrestling them around.

What dopes... 101 squirrels is a boat load though. Missouri is quite the distance from Minnesota, Id like to know the story behind that one.

Looks like they may be of Hmong ethnicity. The second largest population of Hmong people is in the upper Midwest and they have quite the reputation of ignoring and violating game laws. Supposedly this group was caught here in Missouri with a bunch of illegally killed deer a few years ago. Here's a link to Chai Vang a Hmong hunter who shot eight Wisconsin hunters and killed six of those over a disputed deer stand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_Vang

What a maniac.
I remember growing up in CA and hearing the game wardens talking about Hmong people illegally poaching black bears with an SKS just for the gall bladder.

Originally Posted By: GCLooks like they may be of Hmong ethnicity. The second largest population of Hmong people is in the upper Midwest and they have quite the reputation of ignoring and violating game laws. Supposedly this group was caught here in Missouri with a bunch of illegally killed deer a few years ago. Here's a link to Chai Vang a Hmong hunter who shot eight Wisconsin hunters and killed six of those over a disputed deer stand.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_Vang

That's taking a dispute a bit far huh?

Originally Posted By: atdYou should see the violations when they go fishing.

I was in an asian market getting a bag of rice and saw a pile of baby stripers that was three feet high and six feet long, had to have been several hundred. There is a size restriction and these were only about seven inches long.

They can wipe out fisheries gill netting and keeping runs of young fish like that

Back