Together 'til the end

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Yesterday started my month long oryx season, so I've been out there hiking and glassing and sweating like crazy trying to find one. This morning while glassing from the top of a very large dune, I spotted a pair of coyotes trying to rustle up some breakfast. They were a long ways out, which gave me a few minutes to think about what I should do. The angel side says to stay focused on the oryx hunt, since they taste way better. The devil side says go for it, you have a call in your chest rig that's just achin' to get out for some action. Back and forth, back and forth. Finally, the little red guy with horns won out. I dropped my packed, pulled out the rifle, got the sticks set up, and got ready. The pair was probably 500 yards out, downwind. However, I hoped that my elevation would send my stink out over their heads. They were a couple hundred yards beyond the grey looking open flat in this picture.
Troy02Sep2016PairVantage-_zpssngbmhgl.jpg

I lost sight of the pair while getting ready, but figured they were still out there somewhere within earshot. I dug out a nice little closed reed ebony call that I surely purchased from a custom call maker here and gave it a little toot. After about a minute, a blew it for another ten seconds or so. Then I caught sight of the pair coming across the open. They came across the grey and just inside the brush line when they started acting like they'd caught my scent. The one in the rear checked up, then started to leave, so when she paused for a moment, I sent one her way. Bang, flop, work the bolt. Where is the other? I figured he was on the way out, so you can understand my surprise when I saw him weaving through the brush on his way to me. He just kept coming and coming, even though I tried barking him to a stop. Finally, I just shot him on the run at the base of the dune upon which I had perched - 27 yards. Then I ranged the first one - 188 yards. Not too bad for a big game rifle. I wandered down to the male and hauled him out to be with his bride for their final day.

Troy02Sep2016Pair-_zps5eigfnva.jpg

Quote:Not too bad for a big game rifle.

Way to go, Troy!
thumbup.gif
What are you shooting?

Looking forward to your Oryx story.

Regards,
hm

Thanks fellas. I'm using a Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM shooting handloaded 150 grain Barnes TTSX. Not exactly the optimal coyote rifle...

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThanks fellas. I'm using a Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM shooting handloaded 150 grain Barnes TTSX. Not exactly the optimal coyote rifle...

Hey, whatever ya got in your hand at the moment is a coyote rifle. It only matters if you're saving fur. Have shot a number of coyotes with a 375 h&h and a lot more w/338 WM and the end results were always the same.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Nice Job, pulling the trigger is always fun !! Probably a hole in hole out with the TTSX ?

Originally Posted By: RedfrogVery nice, I love it when a plan comes together. At least you got some camp meat now.lol

LMAO

Originally Posted By: reddog964Nice Job, pulling the trigger is always fun !! Probably a hole in hole out with the TTSX ?

On the female with some distance, yes. On the male up close, not so much. I had to pose the female in front of the male to meet PM picture posting standards.

The good news is, that's a pair less out there eating all those cottontails the kids and I are looking forward to hunting later this fall when it's cool. Bunnies are definitely on the upswing this year, I've seen tons while out chasing oryx. Can't wait to break out the .22s when it gets cooler. Mm, mm, rabbit stew.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DesertRamOriginally Posted By: reddog964Nice Job, pulling the trigger is always fun !! Probably a hole in hole out with the TTSX ?

On the female with some distance, yes. On the male up close, not so much. I had to pose the female in front of the male to meet PM picture posting standards.

The good news is, that's a pair less out there eating all those cottontails the kids and I are looking forward to hunting later this fall when it's cool. Bunnies are definitely on the upswing this year, I've seen tons while out chasing oryx. Can't wait to break out the .22s when it gets cooler. Mm, mm, rabbit stew.
grin.gif

Interesting... Bone with the Male?

That's one thing I've noticed this year that the cottontails are in Abundance around here. Deep fried loans
wink.gif

Yeah, I'd say so. I was shooting at a steep downward angle and tried to shoot him in the face. He was jigging and jagging and I hit him amidships, probably busting the spine and opening up the whole topside to the point you could see the bottom without flipping him over.

Thanks Dave. The desert does have a certain appeal. When I first moved down here, I thought it was awful, but now the place has really grown on me. I'm a bona fide desert rat now.

Back