Bullet Manufacturer Differences?

TheBig1

Another thread, along with the fact that I too am looking for a certain bullet, what is the difference between different bullet manufacturers?

For instance, why would I buy a box of Berger 64gr SP's for $37.50/box when I can buy Hornady 63gr SP's for $18/box? Why is there such a difference in price?

most likely its in the QC department.

hornady - while they make a good bullet - is a mass producer. as such you're likely to find a wider range for error inconsistency with their product than you will with someone selling a premium product like berger bullets.

that said - for relatively close range hunting (within a couple hundred yards) stuff is going to end up just as dead with both company's products.

you'll just have to do some testing and find out which your guns likes more and go from there.

again, inside lets say 300 yds, with a rack grade barrel, you likely wont be able to tell the difference.

Berger has been mass producing for a long, long time now. Way, way back in the day Walt actually made them, but that was a million years ago.

The thing Berger has to hang their hat on are J4 jackets. Jacket concentricity is a big, big deal in really precision accuracy. Custom bullet makers usually use J4's. Sierra has long had a reputation for excellent jackets in their MK's too.

Simply put, any runout in the thickness of the jacket becomes CG offset which can be mathematically calculated as bullet dispersion downrange. A perfectly concentric jacket eliminates this source of built in dispersion. For really precision rifle work, jackets matter. They are not all created equal.

- DAA

Dave, but for hunting it'd simply pay for me to stick with Sierra or Hornady? Not only due to price but they're just as good for my application correct?

Much appreciated. I was wondering why there was such a difference in price. I guess for my application of sub 300 yard shooting and hunting there's really no need to jump to a better quality and more expensive bullet.

Originally Posted By: TheBig1Much appreciated. I was wondering why there was such a difference in price. I guess for my application of sub 300 yard shooting and hunting there's really no need to jump to a better quality and more expensive bullet.

What is the chambering and critters hunted ?
I've prob read it, but I read to many posts ..lol

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: TheBig1Much appreciated. I was wondering why there was such a difference in price. I guess for my application of sub 300 yard shooting and hunting there's really no need to jump to a better quality and more expensive bullet.

What is the chambering and critters hunted ?
I've prob read it, but I read to many posts ..lol

No problem Tim. It's a Howa 22-250. I'll be using it for everything from fox, whistle pigs, bobcat, coyote, and deer. Of course all depending on various loads.

Back