Still haven't found a hunting rig, but...

If you want a rig that gets good gas milage, that wont be it.
I had a Scout II in the late 70s all stock and was lucky to get 13mpg, rode stiff also.
Id look at a 2nd or 3rd Gen Toyota 4runner, those run from 4-5K for a very clean rig, will have 100K on it though, but run forever as long as it was taken care of & a 6' person can sleep in the back w/seats down. The V6s in mine ran about 24 mpg.
I had 4 toyots 4 runners over time.

Last edited:
Excellent cool factor. Engine and drive train parts are common dodge offerings. Needs an interior so take that into account on the offer. A good warn winch will be 500 or more used around here. I would prefer something fuel injected but, there is a modern hemi in a junkyard near everyone probably complete with an autmatic and a tranfer case. Throw a vintage air ac in it. Now that would be really cool and different.

We had a scout when I was a kid with a 360. A scout2 would have been even cooler.

Sandy, you kinda hit the nail on the head. I am torn between a hunting rig and some type of muscle car and I really vacillate between these 2 extremes. The practical side in me says to get a small truck or 4x4 that is smaller and quieter than my Dodge diesel. My inner child wants to fill that void that only a hotrod can fill. So, yea, the cool factor plays a big part. Something like this Scout kinda scratches both itches.

I wheeled a Scout for years, like them.

But that price is pretty high. Wouldn't expect it to go for more than $4500 around here. I really don't like the way it's been lifted though. Ten inches of lift to clear 35's is retarded. And results in some driveline angles and ride characteristics that are going to suck. You can make 35's work on that truck with only about half that much lift.

I'd pass.

- DAA

I agree, thats kinda high.
I ended up finding a 2003 tahoe z71 on Craigslist with a dead transmission. Paid $3000 for it and hauled it home. $200 later i had it goin and love it. Rides really good and now has 320,000 miles on it. built winch bumpers front and rear with 10,000# on each end. Swapped a 9.5" Rear end into it out of a Hummer H2 with a Eaton Elocker and 4.10s.
Then freshened the 6.0 i had in my silverado and swapped it in with a small turbo cam and good heads. figured why stop there and swapped in a 4L80E transmission and now im fixing to put my old turbo on it and ill have my fun truck back and still hunt out of it.

we had one it drove like crap[hard to keep on road]hard to find parts.myself no way.i also hunted out of a new one in 73 he had an overdrive on it so you got better mileage,and he only kept it 2 years

Well, I took the Scout our for a test drive today. It is kind of a beast to drive, and driving it requires a lot of attention. For someone who is mechanically inclined (which I ain't one) it would make a nice hobby. I passed on it.

Any old vehicle that is actually going to be driven much, is going to be a hobby unto itself.

But, even a fairly modern Jeep, if it's been lifted etc., and you plan on wheeling it, that is, using it for what it is, it's going to be a hobby too.

You'll either become mechanically inclined, or become familiar with someone else who is.

- DAA

^^^^^ Without a doubt. Off road time usually about a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of fun to work. Older 4x4s need fixin and new ones need continual maint. or they will need fixing. Constant dust and dirt will eat brakes and bearings. 3 times as many air filters and fuel filters. A regular use off road vehicle will become a hobby within a hobby.

Nonnieselman, I kept looking at your screen name thinking where have I seen that before. It just clicked. PT.net!!

Now back on subject. I like Jeeps but found they never had enough power for my liking.

Last edited:
Back