Bullet coatings??

Lee wax works very well on bullets, reduces copper fouling and reduces the Standard Deviation to single digits. The explanation is simple, coatings reduces the friction that it takes to get the bullet entered into the barrel. Thus, instead of a pressure spike to get the bullet started, there is a more slow gradual build up of pressure. Norma has done exhaustive testing on the use of moly and carnuba wax on their bullets, the barrel life increase is substantial.

Later on, it was discovered that the use of the wax only was as effective as the moly +Wax, but the Carnuba wax they were using had an abrasive in it that eroded throats. So, just the use of the Lee Wax on bullets is very effective. Since a tube of the Lee wax is around $3, there is not much money to be made by promoting wax, so it never had an incentive for a company to promote.

When I was making benchrest bullets, I used the Lee wax cut 50/50 with water to lube my bullet jackets with. I just left the wax on the bullets, then re tumbled the bullets.

Guys that shoot a real fast 17 caliber can really benefit by using wax on the bullets as it cuts copper fouling in half extending shot strings inbetween cleanings.

Guys that use Moly and Hbn would benefit greatly from the use of wax.

Ive been moly coating my .223 varmint bullets for over 25 yrs now.
Yes I have indeed long barrel life way past 8k rounds + lots more.
I don't load hot or fast in those rigs.
This is strictly in my .223 rigs I run on p-dogs & shoot the heck out of.
Messy, yes a bit, hard to clean barrels, nope, is it magic...I don't think so, but its been working for what I do.
HBN is much a cleaner coating & some of the LR target competition guys do that.

Originally Posted By: 5spdIve been moly coating my .223 varmint bullets for over 25 yrs now.
Yes I have indeed long barrel life way past 8k rounds + lots more.
I don't load hot or fast in those rigs.
This is strictly in my .223 rigs I run on p-dogs & shoot the heck out of.
Messy, yes a bit, hard to clean barrels, nope, is it magic...I don't think so, but its been working for what I do.
HBN is much a cleaner coating & some of the LR target competition guys do that.

Same thing for me on a couple rifles, may have to try the wax with it too...

lee wax that is in the tooth paste tube

With the wax cut 50/50 with water

Load up your index finger to the first joint

smear that wax along the inside of a half or one gallon container, or other container with a screw on lid

put in several hundred bullets

Using the container like a centrifuge, spin the bullets around the inside surface of the container. You don't want the bullets banging round, they should travel the inside surface of the container.

You will "centrifuge" the bullets for perhaps 45 seconds to a minute.

Dump the bullets out on a paper towel

let the wax set up

If you want to use immediately, place the paper towel on a small cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator, the wax will set up quickly.

The bullets should look a milky color, uniform.

My p. dog hunting partners coated theirs twice, I coated once. You should not see big blobs of wax on the bullets, it will be a uniform coat.

Standard deviation goes way down, and copper fouling goes down also.

Questions?

I use a one gallon plastic jug with a wide mouth top on it. You have to get your hand in the mouth of the container to smear the wax around in, and do not worry about some kind of scientific uniform way to smear the wax on the side walls as the bullets will do a good job of that.

This wax process will also enhance moly and Hbn applicatons.

Thanks everybody for all the replies.
I've been experimenting with the Hbn stuff and the initial results are all positive so far.
thumbup1.gif

Back