Wife has a great season!!!

utah yote

At the age of 54 my wife decided to start hunting big game but only with a bow. She has been hunting 5 years now. She is a natural born hunter and really enjoys the whole experience. She also encouraged me to put down the rifle and hunt with a bow. We now bow hunt together. I wish I had started much earlier.

This year my trail camera had some nice bucks on it and one got my attention early on. He only showed up twice. Our season started Aug 20. This year we decided to hunt spike elk with an over the counter tag on one unit first and go after deer with our draw tags on another unit later. We hunted elk Aug 22 to 25 with no luck. We headed home to hunt our deer. The 27th I took a solid 26" buck and my deer season was over.
On the morning of the 28th I get a text from my wife as she sat in her tree stand. " Oh my God I got him"

Scored 190 and her deer season was over.
We dropped the head off at the taxidermy and head back up to elk camp.

The 29th we find ourselves in a ground blind over looking a water hole. About 5 hours in a spike with one branched antler ( legal to have one branch if the other is spike) is on the water and I don't see him come in. A careless movement on my part sends him running. He stops on a hill side at 400 yards out to see what up. For an hour he makes his way back toward the water only to return to the top of the hill. Finally he commits!! I range for my wife. 45 I whisper. She comes to full draw and holds and holds and holds!!! I look at the elk, I look at her, I look at the elk. I'm thinking shoot,shoot. The elk takes a step and gives her a full broadside. She releases. I realize at that moment my wife is a big game killer with ice water in her vanes!!

He runs straight up hill and stops at 200 yards. I can see he is hit with a well places arrow!!! Now things get interesting.

He stands there for 15 minutes and finally lays down. Does not tip over only lays down. We sit in the blind and wait till dark. Around 8:45 pm. I shine a light up the hill. See eyes... he is still alive !! We decide to sneak out and go back to camp have dinner and return later that night. In hindsight we should have stayed in camp till the next day.

Around 11:30 pm we hike up the hill to where he "was" laying. He's not there!!! Panic begins to set in!!! I shine the light to an aspen grove and see him standing 100 yards away. Immediately we turn and walk away. Not much sleep that night as we rewind all that has happened and what could happen the next day.

The next morning I search the aspen grove from the bottom as she works down from the top. Half hour later I see her 100 yards away coming down. Nothing!!! more panic..Then she sees him! YES,YES,YES She has her first elk!

utah yote's wife is:
HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats to the both of you for having a great bowhunting season. You can't beat a hunting partner like that.

Thanks, I know. At 65 I'm sure I would not be going as much if she didn't hunt to.

Originally Posted By: crapshootThat's awesome! Guess I won't give up hope on my wife yet.

Don't give up. They do make great hunting partners. She just informed me she wants to learn to gut and quarter. Yes!!!

Originally Posted By: 36FanGreat story, thanks for sharing. Those trees make me think of Cedar Mountain, miss that place!
I have family property there.

I really don't know what all was hit. I was in a rush to get it dressed and out of there. It was getting hot and the flies were so bad I didn't get a chance to go over the gut pile.

Was it broadside? If so that should of been lethal. If it was quartering away clipping the front of the lungs I could see it living for a bit.

I shot this doe a couple years ago barely quartering, full pass through, frontal lung shot, she was still alive the next day bedded down but didnt have the energy to get up. Stuck the arrow in for visual

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: utah yote

I really don't know what all was hit. I was in a rush to get it dressed and out of there. It was getting hot and the flies were so bad I didn't get a chance to go over the gut pile.

Did she shoot someone's pet elk that was tied to a tree? Or was there a name tag tied around its neck.
lol.gif

Back