Stop the Personal Attacks

Someone "Gets it"
thumbup.gif

I use the ignore button. That said, I have noticed that PMF mods are very relaxed compared to the other boards I frequent. And THAT said, I do find his posts akin to trolling and deliberately controversial. He would be permabanned from other sites, I assure you.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Because the posts of those members of PETA and Everytown would be deemed unacceptable to the "nature and purpose of Predator Masters Inc." and as such would clearly be a violation of item 3 of the Terms of Service you guys keep referring to.

Those individuals would also be "disruptive" to the cohesive nature of forum activities. And, would likely lead to a loss of membership, which means fewer ads viewed, fewer click throughs to sponsors, less revenue.

You are assuming they would be. If they indeed were, they would be removed and dealt with. Any post made for discussion is not removed just because someone does not like it. If it goes over the line then it is. A lot of the comments in this post could be classified as "disruptive" by your terms.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Regardless, the dissention being experienced in the Church is NOT because Woodguru has a different point of view, regardless of what he may suggest. It is because his posts are clearly antagonistic in nature. This has been pointed out to Admin, on more than one occasion, by more than one member... And, the only thing that has been done to date is to blame everyone else for the problem, and tell us about the Terms of Service.

So you know for a fact that all that has been done is to blame everyone else for the problem. You know for sure what has been discussed by the admin here? I really doubt that any member was forced to make the comments that were made by even you. We will get to that later.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Ever notice that everyone here in the Church can find a link or post a citation to support their position on topics? Everyone except Woodguru that is. And, that even after being reminded countless times that he should do that, if he wishes to offer any validity to his arguments, he still can't seem to find a link. You tell me Reb, is he really that dam stupid, or are his actions in that matter deliberate?

And where is the links backing up all of your statements. Give me some of his TOS violations. Not just ones where he voiced his opinion and you don't like it.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Do you honestly believe his repeated attacks of Donald Trump aren't antagonistic in nature? He claims he's a Bernie supporter, his candidate just got screwed over royally by the Democratic party, we know for a fact Hillary has a list of indiscretions that you could wrap the planet with, in very small font, yet woodguru continues to try and tell us what a failed low-life POS Donald Trump is for a president. At this point our options are... back Trump and hope for the best, support one of the most vile criminals to have ever set foot on the face of the earth, or vote for the liberaltarian that has a snowball's chance in [beeep] of winning. Do you honestly think his repeated rants about Donald Trump are an attempt to sway our vote at this point? Or, do you think maybe he makes those posts to stir the pot?

Same could be said for your comments toward the democratic party. Do you have proof that Hillary is guilty? Where is the link? By your standards, provide the proof. That is what you expect of him. Now I know as well as you that she is guilty. I would never support her either but don't expect him to provide proof for his comments when you cant do it. According to the courts she is not guilty. Correct??

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Then there is the little matter of his post the other day where he very eloquently suggested he was ignoring AZMastaBlasta, and others, and we should all do the same and ignore him, then he turned right around and starts a thread calling AZ out in his next post, just to stir the pot. Deliberate antagonism? Harassment? Or, just mere coincidence that he included AZ's name in the title of that thread Reb?

Did you notify the moderator of the post that you think broke the TOS? Where is the link? That is what you expect isn't it? This the one?
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...252#Post2987252

I would say that the replies to his post are far worse than the post he made!!

What about this post that ASMastaBlasta started using Woodguru's name in the title
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...571#Post2987571
I guess that is OK??

Originally Posted By: Rocky1How many forums do you hang out on where everyone attacks every thing you say, and tells you you're moron? Like most of us, you get tired of it and leave. Correct? Think about it!
How many forums do you hang out on where NO ONE likes you Reb? You get tired of having no friends and leave. Correct?
How many forums do you hang out on where your opinion differs from everyone else's, no matter the topic? So you tell them all how you're simply there to enlighten them, by offering them your opinion.

Seems that is the way a lot of you feel towards the admin here. Should we just leave? If someone expects my opinion to be identical to theirs in order to be a friend then I will go through life without any. Seems that anyone that has a different opinion than you does not belong here. As for people not liking me, I work as a supervisor and get employees all the time that dont like me. Of course they never do anything wrong, it is my fault. Life is to short to worry about who likes me. People get to worked up about things, they need to learn to relax. You can disagree with someone without going to insults to prove your point. I have made a lot of friends on here and other boards. Hope it continues but I am not leaving any because someone does not like me or does not agree with me.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1If you found yourself in any of those situations, did you stay forever? Did you come back every 4 years at election time, just to see if anyone liked you better? Did you whine to admin on a daily basis, for months on end, so you could try to keep the whole forum to yourself? Or, did you simply move on, and try to find a forum of like minded people whose company you could enjoy?

I don't make it a habit of whining to admin on boards because I don't like someones opinion. I tend to ignore them and not read their posts. There are plenty of other members on all the boards I go to that I don't need to waste my time getting pissed off at everything one person posts.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Woodguru's actions here are very much deliberate. You can run every last one of us off in the Church and you're still going to have problems, until Woodguru leaves, which he will right after breaking up our little gang in the Church, because that's what he's here to do.

Your "little gang"?? So if someone is not part of your "little gang", they should be gone?? Nobody is trying to run your "little gang" off. Nobody is making you respond to him or make the comments some of you are making. Nobody is making you even read his posts. There is a function here for ignoring him. Use it!!

As for TOS violations, what do you call these??

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...nt=2&page=1

Don't even see a comment from Wood in this one
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...671#Post2988671

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...nt=2&page=1

Don't think he started this one either
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Originally Posted By: Rocky1In my time on this board, I've supported your call builders to the tune of 6 - 7 thousand dollars worth of business, currently have a paid account to sell calls here, have done a couple thousand dollars worth of business with other members in the classifieds section, have built many friendships amongst members. Supported the expo through raffle ticket purchases. What exactly has your poster child contributed that is deserving of alienating other long standing members? Because like several other members above, if my support of this forum isn't appreciated any more than this I can, and will most certainly, find other places to spend my time and offer my support.

So let me get this right. Are you saying that if a member does not do business with the call makers or support our convention financially they do not deserve the same treatment. I am sure there are thousands of members you are putting into that category. Not one admin is saying that any member here is not appreciated and nobody is being asked to leave. We are asking everyone to behave and tone things done.

Rocky what do you suggest? If you want us to go after all the TOS violations and take action, we can. Do you think your "little gang" will be happy with you. This post was started as a warning to give EVERYONE notice and a chance to stop. I assure you that from what I have seen the comments made towards him are far worse than anything I have seen him post. If I am wrong, send me some links. I see some comments towards him have already been edited out by members.

We are not perfect, we cant solve every problem. It takes a lot of work to keep things running smooth here. The MEMBERS play a big part in that. There is a lot of childish things going on right now. I cannot believe that an adult could get so riled up over someones post to come back with some of the comments I have seen. Simply ignore him if you don't like his posts.

So far comments in this post have been kept civil without name calling. There is no reason that all posts cant be this way.

Originally Posted By: CastI use the ignore button. That said, I have noticed that PMF mods are very relaxed compared to the other boards I frequent. And THAT said, I do find his posts akin to trolling and deliberately controversial. He would be permabanned from other sites, I assure you.

More members should use it if they don't want to see someones post.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerIf no one responded to any certain thread do you understand how fast it would be sent on to the second and third page then into the abyss of the internet.

I don't understand how one guy can get so many riled up...? Grow up. YOU are the ones that keep his posts popping up and the views and responses to increase.

BINGO!
thumbup.gif

I know I've not posted nearly as much as some of you, but I've been around here for a long time. Is wood a problem at times, sure. Does he make legit pretty well thought out points at times, sure. What many are calling his negative influence is nurtured and boosted by many of the same folks. He doesn't have the power to ruin anything if not allowed to do so. Have you ever noticed any of the ultra far right crazy speak from others on here? The only reason no one is roasting them is because for the most part we all lean that way. Read it, if it's pure propaganda to get a response, don't. I've had opinions which are less than popular, but I'm a big boy and can take it for what it is, opinions. I do agree the issue is why many don't come around as much, including me. But it's not all because of one person, there have been plenty of childish responses to baiting posts. And yes, there have been plenty of sincere posts of differing opinion as well, which I appreciate. Just my .02.

Originally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: CastI use the ignore button. That said, I have noticed that PMF mods are very relaxed compared to the other boards I frequent. And THAT said, I do find his posts akin to trolling and deliberately controversial. He would be permabanned from other sites, I assure you.

so then do we have to ignore everyone who quotes the members we use the ignore button on too? because blocking someone would mean EVERYONE would have to block them so that the folks who use the ignore feature dont have to see the member in questions nonsense. if i thought this was actually a viable solution, i would happily openly champion said project. However, the participation rate would likely end up being much lower than necessary for it to be truly effective and we'll be right back to square one again.

as someone who tried to have an honest debate with the guy, on multiple occasions and had all my requests for further discussion on the subject(s) in question fully ignored by him, i'd love to be able to just click his nonsense away, but to do so would essentially mean i would have to ignore an entire subforum of this site. Which i would rather not do as there is some information that does show up here in Church that doesnt hit the regular news circles i follow or at least hits here before i see it *anywhere* else.

i have no problem if someone has a different opinion or set of views than i do, but when someone (seemingly) pulls a random tidbit out of the sky that i cant even googlefu anything to find out where it showed up from, and request more input for the source for said topics - its hard to have a discussion when the other party only wants to inject strife and not bring anything verifiable the topic. While i appreciate that opinions are valid feelings in a conversation - stating them like facts and then refusing to do anything other than say "you go research it and get back to me if you're not too stupid to find it" doesnt help further a discussion anywhere. It only fuels the bad feelings towards the other participating(s) member of the discussion.

i'm just saying - without getting into ANY name calling or nastyness in the first place, i've been on the receiving end of the personal attacks from the troll in question. and (seemingly) nothing came of it as a penalty for the person who started it.

i have plenty of liberal friends - including some who are very much so anti gun folks - but we still get along because we're willing to be honest with each other and if we quote a source, or share a tidbit - we're not afraid to give the source for said piece of information so that the discussion as to the questioned accuracy of said tidbit can be further delved into. Its the open exchange of information that makes a forum interesting. when you have a party who refuses to participate in that fashion and then gets angry when people call them out on it - it makes the whole venue stressful for all involved (except of course maybe the person who's seemingly intentionally being difficult).

while i cant disagree that things have gotten a bit carried away recently, said tactics have brought the subject out into the full daylight for all to talk about, and hopefully some resolution (a more consistent enforcement of the TOS going forward as promised would be my desired result) will come of it.

here's to hopeful optimism that's what transpires
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: reb8600Originally Posted By: CastI use the ignore button. That said, I have noticed that PMF mods are very relaxed compared to the other boards I frequent. And THAT said, I do find his posts akin to trolling and deliberately controversial. He would be permabanned from other sites, I assure you.

If someone is quoting a member you have on ignore, it's obvious not everyone wants to ignore him. So do you decide who everyone else should read or ignore?.
so then do we have to ignore everyone who quotes the members we use the ignore button on too? because blocking someone would mean EVERYONE would have to block them so that the folks who use the ignore feature dont have to see the member in questions nonsense. if i thought this was actually a viable solution, i would happily openly champion said project. However, the participation rate would likely end up being much lower than necessary for it to be truly effective and we'll be right back to square one again.

as someone who tried to have an honest debate with the guy, on multiple occasions and had all my requests for further discussion on the subject(s) in question fully ignored by him, i'd love to be able to just click his nonsense away, but to do so would essentially mean i would have to ignore an entire subforum of this site. Which i would rather not do as there is some information that does show up here in Church that doesnt hit the regular news circles i follow or at least hits here before i see it *anywhere* else.

i have no problem if someone has a different opinion or set of views than i do, but when someone (seemingly) pulls a random tidbit out of the sky that i cant even googlefu anything to find out where it showed up from, and request more input for the source for said topics - its hard to have a discussion when the other party only wants to inject strife and not bring anything verifiable the topic. While i appreciate that opinions are valid feelings in a conversation - stating them like facts and then refusing to do anything other than say "you go research it and get back to me if you're not too stupid to find it" doesnt help further a discussion anywhere. It only fuels the bad feelings towards the other participating(s) member of the discussion.

i'm just saying - without getting into ANY name calling or nastyness in the first place, i've been on the receiving end of the personal attacks from the troll in question. and (seemingly) nothing came of it as a penalty for the person who started it.

i have plenty of liberal friends - including some who are very much so anti gun folks - but we still get along because we're willing to be honest with each other and if we quote a source, or share a tidbit - we're not afraid to give the source for said piece of information so that the discussion as to the questioned accuracy of said tidbit can be further delved into. Its the open exchange of information that makes a forum interesting. when you have a party who refuses to participate in that fashion and then gets angry when people call them out on it - it makes the whole venue stressful for all involved (except of course maybe the person who's seemingly intentionally being difficult).

while i cant disagree that things have gotten a bit carried away recently, said tactics have brought the subject out into the full daylight for all to talk about, and hopefully some resolution (a more consistent enforcement of the TOS going forward as promised would be my desired result) will come of it.

here's to hopeful optimism that's what transpires
smile.gif

I've always found the fact an ignored person shows up in quotes annoying. I'm choosing to not read your racist crap, but 100 people choose to argue with you. Instead of seeing your racist crap once i see it 100 times or i just avoid every topic to actually avoid you. And if you post in 98% of topics, i have no real option besides stop visiting the forum.

You can't have a discussion when you have someone standing next to you screaming. If someone has the ability to disrupt every single conversation i want to have i should have the ability to not be disrupted. It's a bit more fair.

You would think it would be fairly simple to fix this. I know it would have been maybe 10 lines of code, 2 minutes work 20 years ago. As is, the ignore feature is definitely lacking as a viable tool.

I agree that's annoying.

Problem is I don't know of a way to implement it & I've observed the exactly same problem on a number of web sites running a variety of software, so far as I know none implement the functionality you want.

Originally Posted By: Redfrog[
If someone is quoting a member you have on ignore, it's obvious not everyone wants to ignore him. So do you decide who everyone else should read or ignore?.

not at all, i dont expect, or ever want to have that power over someone else. if they choose to interact with that person, thats THEIR decision.

however when given your offical position to those of us who WANT to not deal with him is

Quote:More members should use it if they don't want to see someones post.

yet we know that functionality is limited, that kind of puts this whole thing at a stalemate since the forum software doesnt work that way.

at least, again without having to ignore people who we would otherwise want to continue to interact with because THEY dont use the ignore button on the problem poster - or bypassing an entire subforum.

i understand there's limitations to the ignore function... my point is - because its so limited, please dont ask your users to accept that as the solution and be happy about it. because due to the way the forum software works, its not a solution unless you make everyone else follow that same solution. which i've clearly stated isnt my position.

if in fact that was a true solution, its a solid likelihood that this whole thread wouldnt exist right now.

[edit]

i dont know how to fix the problem, if i did i would happily present solution to it. i only wish it were as simple as enabling another step in the forum software code. but since its not, instead of giving out platitudes, please help us work forward to a plausible real world solution to the issue.

Last edited:
Oh look, it's a thread 5 pages long, about the responses,by many, to the posts of ONE individual. It seems to me that YOU, Mr. Chairman of the Board, and YOU Mr. Director, and YOU mods are the ones who "don't get it"!

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI agree that's annoying.

Problem is I don't know of a way to implement it & I've observed the exactly same problem on a number of web sites running a variety of software, so far as I know none implement the functionality you want.

I'm looking at things from a technical standpoint here.

Personally: I chose to stay even though I tend to get treated badly by 1 particular mod but personally I'm running out of reasons to check in. I'm running out of discussions I'll take part in.

If I were me, and last I checked I am... depending on how my meds are doing that day
laugh.gif
I'd make there request to the company I'm buying software from. I'm no longer 'in the industry' and haven't been for a long time. But I use all kinds of web based software in my profession. We've always been able to get things done by talking to the people doing the coding.

It honestly doesn't take too many people to kill a forum. I've been a member of 1 for at least 16 years. There are 2 people who post constantly. If a thread has 100 replies, 60 of them are from 1 of those 2 people. It's gone from a forum that was so busy you would end up looking 5-6 pages deep to find a thread you started yesterday to one that you see the same thread on the front page for weeks at a time. I log in about once a month now just to check and yep, same 5 people talking over and over again. I had been a premium (paid) member for quite a while but that's done with.

Today's stats:

"What's Going On?

Currently Active Jeepers: 4365 (392 members and 3973 guests)
Who's Online
Most users ever online was 27,337, 08-17-2015 at 06:57 PM."

So from an active user count of over 27k online at one time, to less than 400 remaining members in a year. Even if all 400 were paying members, that particular well has dried up to drops.

It's the same problem as people are complaining of here. 1 person yelling killing every conversation. I don't know if it is also an infopop website, but the ignore system was identical.

As long as the censor system checks inside of quotes to censor profanity it can absolutely do what I personally would ask of it. And again, my coding knowledge is OLD.

So quick test here on the censor.

Retarded
suck
[beeep]
[beeep]
[beeep]

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI agree that's annoying.

****continuing censor test here. My words not his.

Retarded
suck
[beeep]
[beeep]
[beeep]

Ok. The software indeed checks inside quotes. It's possible with the existing coding. It's an unused option that can be enabled.

Looking at the 'edit' post option every letter exists in both posts so I'm not copy/pasting asterisks. I believe that if the ignore option was implemented across all posts quotes or not, many people would drop their objections. No matter what you'll have problem children but a lot of functionality would be restored.

I personally have 1 person on ignore here, and 2 on the jeep forum. But the constant quotes from people who simply must argue their point causes problems that after a while I just take the nuke option and walk away entirely.

FWIW it's hard discussing engines, ignition, timing etc when the censor bleeps the word retard.
laugh.gif

There is a huge difference between the censor & the ignore function.

The censor uses a list of words to match against. It has no care as to who made the post, all it cares about is if the word is a match for one in the list.

What you want is for the software to be able to examine every post in a thread you're looking at, check each post to see if quotes a post made by another member & if it does, then check the quoted member's name against your personal ignore list. then if there's a match, block the quoted content.

I won't say that it's not possible, but it's not at all what the censor does.

Wow, I'd bet that all of the trolls that frequent the Church are rolling on the floor laughing about their accomplishment of bringing this group to this level of discord, I think thats their initial goal, and they are winning. Mission accomplished. That is what certain trolls take great pleasure in and I'm sure they are rewarded $ for it. I find it hard myself to ignore posts that go against my values but I have been trying to not respond to them as the main agitator here doesn't respond to my questions. Take a deep breath and just ignore everything they post, look at their posts for what they are, they know their posts will rile up most of the folks here, thats what trolls do. If the trolls post something in violation to the TOS then report them to a Mod, don't even think that if you rebut one of their posts that they will ever acknowledge that your are right or even answer other than by the usual methods trolls use. I'm not going to leave until I croak off, I look at the posts the main troll here puts up and think thats what he gets paid for and dismiss them because you can't really win a point of view with someone who is paid to keep stirring the pot. At least this is what I've been trying to do. It's hard to do sometimes when one of the trolls posts go completely against your core values and that is why the other side of our political point of view chooses this kind of forum to disrupt.

Well, yes and no. More than likely it's the same module being called twice to serve 2 different functions. It's checking 2 separate lists as likely being fed 2 different parameters but I'd be surprised if it was 2 separate modules being called. That's some pretty poor coding. The site is already checking every person that comes in and displaying a personalized version of the website. And then every topic I click on it has to do the same yet again so it can load my settings, check my ignore list etc etc etc.

The main difference I'd expect is the return from that module, 1 inputs [bleep] and the 2nd being the generic ignored person response.

Sloppy coding gets you at best a C in cosci 1010
laugh.gif

Back