Looking for advise on a chrony

Mark204

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a chrony. So, my question is, what brand do you like and why? The only place I have really found any reviews is on Amazon and who knows if these folks even have a clue as to what works and what doesn't. I value the comments of the membership here because most of us are hard core about what we use. A price point would be helpful too.

Thanks

Here Kitty Kitty

I have the chrony, Master Chrony, Ohler 35P, and the new Radar

they all work well.

You can go over on accurateshooter and advertise that you want a used chrony and see the responses you get.

Keep your eyes for the MagnetoSpeed V3 to be on sale...That's the one that attaches to the barrel and much easier to set up and use...Also, their customer service is great..I've used the older Chronographs where you had to measure the distance and then worry about shooting the machine..It's a pain when you are at a range and other shooters are on the line...The V3 reads out at your elbow and can be downloaded into your computer.

Magnetospeed 3, hands down the easiest I've ever used. The chronys with the skyscreens are a PITA. They take too much time to setup and are easily damaged if aimed wrong. I can setup my Magnetospeed in 2 minutes or less, down load the results to my computer or simply write it down. Fits on my suppressors as well. It changed my world as far as working up loads as I no longer dread the task. Very convenient.

Last edited:
i'd like to add another +1 into the magnetospeed v3!

stupid easy to use, and as a side bonus - it can even be used at public ranges that dont allow traditional chronographs to be setup.

I've had fantastic results with Magnetospeed Chronographs and I would highly recommend one. They're not an optical unit so they are not dependent on any kind of light source and are unaffected by any kind of changing weather conditions that may occur. They're extremely accurate and because they are so simple and easy to set up, they are nearly foolproof.

But, like ANY other chronograph, they aren't perfect. They'll only work on certain handguns and for obvious reasons they can't be used with arrows, so if you're a bow shooter a MS may not be the best unit for you. They tend to have some amount of POI shift when the bayo is attached to the barrel. All my rifles have at least a #5 contour with most being a little larger, my POI shift has always been very minimal but it has never affected my group size and that's typically the case for most but I have heard some claim it changed their group size. That's never been my experience but nonetheless it's a possibility so I'm mentioning it.

Since owning a MS chronograph, I use it A LOT more than when I had an optical type chronograph, simply because it is so very easy to setup and use. Someone mentioned they can have their MS setup and ready to use in less the two minutes, that is NOT an exaggeration at all and in all honesty, after you do it a few times, it's probably closer to one minute.

For most shooters the Magnetospeed Sporter model for $180 will do just about everything you'll ever need but if you have rifles with larger than 1 inch diameter barrels or you shoot suppressed then the MS V3 is what you'll want.

Originally Posted By: gene10pntrWhat's the difference between the Sporter model and the V3?

the primary difference is what they can be mounted to.

the sporter model can be mounted to a barrel (or suppressor) between ½" & 1" in diameter.

the V3 can be mounted on barrels or suppressors between ½" and 2" in diameter.

Exactly what everyone has said about the Magnetospeed. The V3 is on sale at MidwayUSA right now. Normal $380 i believe and it says add to cart for price.

This place is great!!! I'd never heard of such a gizmo, this is awesome!

At some point I need to get a chrono. I love the simplicity of this. Definitely ran it up to the top of my choices.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishThis place is great!!! I'd never heard of such a gizmo, this is awesome!

At some point I need to get a chrono. I love the simplicity of this. Definitely ran it up to the top of my choices.

If you roll your own, a chrono is almost a must have. I didn't have one for the longest time, and now that i do it has opened up a whole new world for me. Takes a lot of the guess work/trial and error out of load development.

I suppose so, though I've managed without one since the 1980's...

I still sometimes wonder what my actual velocities are though.

The V3 is the Cats Meow... the pro crony is a good unit also but the time it takes to setup is a PITA plus a pain at the range..

Originally Posted By: reddog964The V3 is the Cats Meow... the pro crony is a good unit also but the time it takes to setup is a PITA plus a pain at the range..

Yes on both counts.
thumbup1.gif

Back