If you could only have 2 AR15s, what calibers and what style rifles?

DiRTY DOG

If you could only have 2 AR15s, permanently configured (no swapping uppers etc) what calibers would you pick? And what styles?

1) 5.56, 11.5" barrel, modular rail, flip iron sights, Aimpoint CompM4S, a Surefire light, Vltor IMOD, and a Geissele SD-3G
2) 6.5G, 22" barrel, modular rail, Nightforce scope, Atlas bipod, Magpul PRS, and a Geiselle SD-E with the lighter spring

Cans on both would be preferred

And of course this on the side

1) Noveske 5.56 16" barrel, Hiperfire 3G trigger, Kahles 16i
2) Noveske 6.8 SPC, 16" barrel, Hyperfire trigger, Nightforce scope

Last edited:
1) 16-18" SDM type setup ar in 5.56. Something with an optic that can fill the close range to 250-300 yd stuff with decent accuracy. a gun you could use against varmints or two legged critters. 5.56 because its probably the most common caliber in the states that's not russian.

2) this 2nd gun would depend on what other role you need/want it to fill. too many options to even begin to guess what would be the right one without at least an idea of what you'd want the 2nd gun to be setup to do. This would be the more speciality of the two firearms. would you want to be able to have short range extreme penetration (ie a big bore)? or long distance accuracy (a 6.5/6.8 role type weapon)? something short and suppressable for maximum stealth?

Well for example if there was a new "assault weapons ban" approaching and you gotta build and register your ARs by a certain deadline. And you can't change the caliber etc after that. Like perhaps what is happening in Californistan.

My needs are pretty straight forward - I don't mind a little weight, but i focus my gear on hunting. I do a lot of prone and rested shooting/hunting.

I built another AR for myself last year with 3 uppers - a 22" 204, an 18" 6.8, and a 20" 223/5.56 - with the intent for these 3 to be all I really need, but keeping a few others for specific uses. If I could only have 2 and couldn't specifically have an SBR and a 24" long gun, I'd modify choices a bit. So, instead of at least 3 rifles with 5 total uppers, and getting rid of about a dozen others:

Like most - I want a handy 5.56, and a more potent long gun.

1) 5.56/223 18" heavy barrel with 0.750" gas block (heavy, but nose light), adjustable gas block, ubr stock, Geiselle nm 2 stage, 15" handguard, back up sights, acog with 3x and 7x multipliers on QD flip mounts

2) 6-6.8 22" heavy barrel, same agb, Luth-AR, 15" handguard, Bushnell elite 4.5-30x50mm mil-dot, same geis 2 stage. I could be convinced to turn this over for a Dtech 25 wssm upper in 24", but for that kind of range and power, I don't mind swapping to a bolt gun. OR I could say this would instead be a Nemo Omen in .300win mag, but I assume that a proprietary AR-10+ doesn't count in this game.

That gives me a nice and handy 223/5.56 and a heartier long gun to bang with.

Tough call. Varminterror pretty much summed up my list. Actually sometimes I think I'd be better off with 2 or 3 and spring for better scopes on them.

1) 18" standard .750" gas block threaded 1/2". Probably 12" handguard with places to attach a couple rails if I want. NXS 2.5-10x scope, Ace stock, Geiselle trigger.

2) 22" 243lbc standard contour 1-9 or 1-8 twist, threaded 5/8". Same handguard, stock and trigger. NXS 3.5-15x scope. Both scopes would be set up with the same reticle and turrets.

We can have spare parts for any repairs right?

RRA varmint 24" 1:8 twist 223/556, shooting 69 and 75 gr`ers . And my custom 6.8 spcll with yhm upper,cmmg lower with a 22" bison ss heavy 1:11 twist/jp trigger set at 3 lbs.Shooting 95gr barnes ttsx`s and hornady 120gr sst`s .They`ll do me just fine. Gary

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeOnly 2, that makes my brain hurt.

I agree..
I have several but the only 2 i always bring out of the safe

16" 223 shooting 77grain TMK
16" 6.8spc shooting 120grain SST

99% hog hunting although we get lucky some times and get a coyote or a snake.

Waiting on 2 Form 1s for SBR's in 6.8 so ill prolly use them if the stamps ever come in.

Last edited:
well, I'm in that situation now. I've long had a 223 but deiced that I wanted a more general purpose caliber to use to everything from called predators to big game. I went with a 6.5 Grendel for that one.

While there are more purpose specific chamberings, I think this pairing or another similar, say a .204 and a 6.8 SPC or some such, serves the stated purpose well.

^^^^^^^ Agree. I have 2 uppers for my AR.

Tac 20 and 6.8. The 6.8 covers everything from hogs to deer and the 20 caliber is a great varmint / fur saving round.

1st one would either be a 17/223 or 20pr for small critters. The second would be the 6mmWoa for wind and deer size game. But I still am working on a couple 6.5gren's and will have to see what they do.

My #1 personal choice, if I could only have 2, would be a 16" carbine in 5.56, with a mid-length gas system on it. That would give me an every day kinda rifle with common, easy-to-find parts and ammo. Even if I couldn't have an extra complete rifle, I'd probably stash enough parts to totally rebuild it, in case I ever have to. My number 2 (if I could have anything I wanted) would probably be a 300BLK SBR, set up to run with a can. Unfortunately, living in Illinois, I'm not allowed to have anything fun, like SBR's or cans. Therefore, my realistic #2 choice would probably end up being a 20" rifle in .204, or something similar, for varmint control. I would be interested in looking at a 6.5 or 6.8, but I don't know enough about them to make a decision just yet.

Make mine:

#1 - custom assembled with ARP 18" HBAR 6.8 SBC barrel, 3-10x Bushnell Elite Compact.

#2 - custom assembled with WOA 20" HBAR 6mm WOA barrel, 6-24x Vortex Viper HST

One note on #2, that would change to a custom assembled with a Wilson 5.56 NATO barrel, if I thought I needed a SHTF rifle.
I am not sure why I would ever limit myself to two of any rifle, but that was the OP constraint.
grin.gif

Squeeze

I'd have Ritch build me a pair of matching rifles. 20 Practical and 243 LBC Black Hole barrels. ACE skeleton stocks. Magpul enlarged trigger guards and selectors with Wilson oversized bolt releases. BTE triggers snd adjustable gas blocks with ventilated rifle length tubes. That would cover about anything going. 22" threaded for cans. Sights would be Vortex 4.5X14 mil dot and GG&G BUIS.

Greg

Last edited:
Well for me it would have to be a 6.8 bison upper with rra lower with night vision. I only have one ar for now but the next will be in .223 wylde with a day scope because of the cheap ammo. If you let a guy pick 3 then the 3rd would be a 6mm variant Probly woa. A suppressor would be a nice addition to the 6.8 if the laws ever get changed.

Back