Finally! Shot my first Hog

WhoCares

Picked up a new property to hunt in June. Rancher called and said he had a Terrible hog problem and they were tearing up his hay fields. Sure enough I was able to find plenty of damage. I brought in a corn feeder, cameras, and made several pig pipes but over the course of the next several months I only got 1 picture of a boar, as well as a few coyotes which was my primary interest. There has been a few major flood events over the last few months so I'm not sure if that scattered the hogs but I really wasn't seeing much on my cameras. Knowing I needed to get this ranchers hog problem under control, I figured if I didn't get at least a few pigs I might not have the property to hunt coyotes come fall.

I spent a lot of time hunting over the feeder, trying different times , different mixes in the pig pipes and I saw absolutely Nothing. I was able to somehow convince my wife that I needed a Thermal scope so as luck would have it she said go ahead. So, after draining a large chunk of our savings I go out looking to kill some hogs.

First night I see nothing much except some rabbits and armadillos. I walked the roads and fields surrounding his 2500 acres and I spotted nothing. Getting a handle on this scope was tough with 97% humidity, light rain and 87 degrees at 2am. The scope settings are many and easy to screw up if you don't know what your doing, and I didn't.

Anyway, on night 2 I went directly to the field that had the freshest sign and low and behold there was this big boar right in the middle of the field. I setup standing with my tripod and observed him for what seemed like 10 minutes hoping to get that perfect broadside shot. Well I got the perfect shot but hit really low and broke his front left leg, I was aiming for the neck. He took off running and squealing and I managed to get off a few more shots hitting him a second time mid body. I spent the next 2 hrs in the dark searching for him but couldn't find him. Next day after searching another 2 hours I found him floating in a pond about 50 yards from where I first shot him. After pulling him out of the pond, if I was a betting man I would guess the boar was 200+ lbs but I have no way of knowing for sure. The rancher helped me recover the hog and he was very excited and said I can now hunt whatever I want on his property with no restrictions. Sorry about the long post, I was just excited after getting my first hog.
image_zpsvawd7iry.jpeg

image_zpsxmhuuhml.jpeg

Congrats, I remember seeing my first one and I had to kill one after that. When I did it took over, they are fun to hunt and man they are tough which make it a great challenge. Just out of curiosity what kind of rifle were you using?

Congrats on the hog! Your wife is the real keeper though, don't let her get away. Not many would green light the thermal.

Nice going on getting that first one....looks like you have that thermal scope dialed in now.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhoCaresAR in 6.8 using 95g TTSX hand loads, 12" bbl suppressed. Very nice, I've been using an AR in .223 but have very much wanted to build a 6.8 for a while. The 6.8 should handle body shots with hogs up to 250 lbs pretty well out to a couple hundred yards but the .223 requires precision head shots imo even at close range.

Last edited:
Back