Rimfire Gray Squirrels

Our season opens Saturday. Not sure about the squirrel numbers yet, but at least one has been cutting an oak in my yard.

Originally Posted By: MIvarminter50Dave you are top shelf, and sure appreciate you here at PM`ers. Gary

Kinda hard to say it any better than that.
grin.gif

Nice Smokin. Tell us about your rifle, scope etc.

Our season opened today but I haven't been yet. I may wait for the weather to cool down a bit. I did hear one squacking on the farm today though, so hopefully there are a few about.

Got a couple more.

zulhmh.jpg

The rifle in the picture is a savage FVSR that I picked up last year to mess around with. Short, light(ISH) and accurate. I got it because I was getting a 22 can, but go figure its not out of jail yet. Scope is a simmons I had laying around. I haven't had time to mess with finding anything else for it. But it does the job for now.

The odd thing is on opening night they were cutting on acorns, and I didn't see any hickory action. But to be fair I wasn't there awful long. Now yesterday, it was hickory city. They were flat burning them up. I saw (2) that were on oaks, but rest were on hickory.

Fun to get back out there!

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Got a couple more.

zulhmh.jpg

The rifle in the picture is a savage FVSR that I picked up last year to mess around with. Short, light(ISH) and accurate. I got it because I was getting a 22 can, but go figure its not out of jail yet. Scope is a simmons I had laying around. I haven't had time to mess with finding anything else for it. But it does the job for now.

The odd thing is on opening night they were cutting on acorns, and I didn't see any hickory action. But to be fair I wasn't there awful long. Now yesterday, it was hickory city. They were flat burning them up. I saw (2) that were on oaks, but rest were on hickory.

Fun to get back out there!

Good shooting
wink.gif
and makes for some good trigger time..

Just cruising thru and seen the great pics of the hardwoods. I could almost smell the oak leaves decaying!

I'll also add Im jealous as all get out of those black squirrels and the air rifle! Ive shot a boat load of'em and never seen a black or a white anywhere other than the city.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Nice thread. As a kid, my first real hunting experience was that of Eastern Woods squirrel hunting with my Dad and Grandpa. Soon, I was allowed to hunt on my own. After college, I lost interest due to a variety of various work and family distractions. About three years ago, I was undergoing a career change and prior to starting the new gig, had more time on my hands to hunt. By chance, I acquired a Savage B-mag in 17WSM and topped it with a 6-24x scope. Using that as a start, I began squirrel hunting again after a long hiatus. First day out I bagged five including a long shot on one that would have been tough with a 22. As I recall, it was about 80y. I was hooked. The 17WSM while a flat shooter and good for the long shots, was tough on the squirrels. A head shot usually left you with a headless squirrel, lol. And a body shot was just a bad idea. Therefore, I purchased a Savage 93R in 17hmr. This was nearly perfect. Using the heavier bullets to slow them down, I could limit out quickly if there were squirrels in the area. Once over in WV, I walked out and saw 8 squirrels, fired on six and bagged five in less than one hour. It was great.

This led me to acquire an old beat up, Winchester mod 52 which had a modern scope mount on it. That thing was the first truly accurate 22lr, I have ever owned and it was a revelation. That 80+ yr old rifle would consistently group five shots into a cluster that measured about 3/10ths inch center to center with nearly any ammo at 50y. That made sniping squackers at 30-50y a pretty easy task. One day, my son and I were scouting for deer season and I hand spotted a big male grey barking at us. My son could not see it, so I went prone and fired a Lapua Center-X right into his mouth.

The Winchester was great but it was heavy and old and I really wanted something a little lighter to pack around. After some shopping, I found an old Anschutz model 1451 and added a 4-16x scope, a sling and adjusted trigger to make it a tad lighter and to take out some of the creep. This little piece is nearly perfect. Shoots about the same as the Winchester but is a good three pounds lighter. I have enjoyed using it in the woods for the last two years along with a couple of others. One of my friends has the Rem 541S and that is another tack-driver little 22 and is perfect for squirrels. He is deadly with his.

Irish

Squacker5-1.jpg

B-mag 17WSM in original form

Mod%2052%20preA.jpg

Mod 52 in later form with vintage BALVAR scope

WV1photo-1.jpg

[img:left]

Sav 93R in 17hmr with 3-12x scope

17WSMc.jpg

B-mag in later form with Forrest Green Boyds stock

If you're looking for a sporting afternoon with the nut-cutters, try it with an air rifle. I'm using a Benjamin Armada in 25-caliber & it's deadly (headshots only) out to 50yds & heart/lung shots to 75 (more if you're a better shot than I am). Squirrels, btw, are the only game animal Texas allows to be taken with an air gun. (Good thing they don't consider rabbits a game animal! Took one this evening with a headshot @ 30yds.) Also, no closed season on squirrels or rabbit.

DO love the air rifle for this. It's quiet (legally suppressed w/o an FFL Form 4) & it's a repeater (8 shots in .25, but 10 in .177 or .22, and either will "suppress" squirrels or rabbit out to 50yds). Quiet? Think .22LR with a big, honkin' can on it.

Last edited:
Ive played with the thought of an air rifle now for a few years. Ive shot a Daystate and an FX. Not sure of the models but both had a pencil eraser size group at 25yds and quiet as a mouse. I was stunned and impressed!

I cant make myself drop that kind of coin on one so I have always worked my way back to maybe a Marauder or Airforce Condor. Is that Armada as bulky as it looks? Im think Im more afraid of dropping almost a G on a hunk of junk.

Was up north this past week and my buddy was dropping some very fat tree rats with a suppressed subsonic 22. It was crazy quiet and really made for a good time.

Back