45 acp for lions

furdog

I am going on a lion hunt in the near future in New Mexico. Spoke with the houndsman and he says the 45 is more than adequate, but I am looking for what projectile to use. I cast my own 200 gr. RNFP bullets that I am pushing out at 945 FPS. Cast from wheel weights.
I also have some 185 gr sierra hollow points I could load up. I would appreciate an experienced opinion as to what bullet would be best suited for this task.
I am not limited to these 2 type of bullets, its just what I have on hand at the moment. Just looking for a quick kill for all concerned!
Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
I think that either one would work fine. The hardcast flat point gives you more options if you have to take a raking shot or go through a shoulder If you limit yourself just to clean chest shots those hollow points would also be excellent. Good luck!

Lots of Lion hunters up here use 22H...22Mag....I even know one old boy that uses an old Winchester pump in 25/20....

Dell Cameron killed as many Lions as anyone with a 357.....

I've killed treed Bobcats with a 22 revolver but I switched to 22Mag but only because my Cur can't tell the difference in a Cat and a Coon occasionally....
frown.gif

Coon can take some lead....probably more than a Lion can... LOL

Your 45 is more than enough gun regardless of which bullet you choose....

Luck

What part of NM are you going to hunt and with whom?
If you're coming my way, I'll go out and tie up all of the Lions around here so you don't get any of mine....lol.
A 45 will work fine....

Back