Helping a new predator hunter

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
*SPOLIER ALERT*

If you can't stand to read about a new guy scoring on his first trip out, stop reading.

Ok, I helped a client with a 6.5 Grendel build. Scott is an experienced shooter but the 6.5 peaked his curiosity about becoming a predator hunter when he found out that it is my favorite coyote cartridge. With his newly built 6.5 Scott began to try his hand at predator hunting. But stand after stand proved fruitless. Finally, after several attempt, we were able to get our schedules to synch up.

We set up on a hillside overlooking a small wash with two adjacent hills. This stand had it all. A wash, hills, houses nearby, power lines. I set Scott right next to me and pointed out areas for him to watch. About 4 minutes into the stand I paused the call. I see a coyote trotting away from us. I switch calls to see if I can get it's attention and I see another coyote popping up over the hill locked onto the call. I start lowering the call volume, the coyote is getting more interested. The coyote rounds a bush to where it can see the call and it pauses. BANG--FLOP! Coyote down. Scott was ecstatic. Victory photos accomplished we moved on.

IMG_7773_2 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Stand #2 we were calling for foxes. Had one bark at us but some wayward campers prevented the fox from joining us.

Stand #3, also a foxy stand. Couple of rocky hillsides ahead of us. But no takers with fox distress. Odd. Kept the stand rolling with some bunny calls when I see ear tips behind a rock. Got you. I lower the call volume. Ears pop up again behind another rock. Reeling it in. Then I see this face peer around a rock...BOBCAT. Wouldn't you know it. Here I am trying to help out a new predator hunter and I am reeling in a bobcat. Oh, well. I drop the volume and the cat comes out and stops. I can see that Scott hasn't seen the cat yet. I switch to vole squeaks and the cat crosses the wash. Now Scott sees her and BANG--cat down.

IMG_7871 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

We wrapped up a great day with a fox that did a run through. Scott saw it but id didn't present a shot.

All total we called in 2 coyotes, 2 foxes and a bobcat with Scott taking the cat and a coyote in 6 stands. So he went from seeing nothing to seeing 3 different predators in one day. Great memories.

IMG_7873 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Hey Mo, your new guy is:
HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job on taking out the new predator hunter!

Great story and pictures!

Vole Squeaks does work great for coaxing in the predators that stop and hang up!

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobGood job on taking out the new predator hunter!

Great story and pictures!

Vole Squeaks does work great for coaxing in the predators that stop and hang up!

The predators still seem to be a bit skittish here. Not like the winter when they come in like gang busters.

Slow rolling the volume down and running those vole squeaks is sure paying off.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoI hate it when work gets in the way of fun. nice read! You can always just retire....lol...good job!

That coyote being all stiff made me laugh..
What bullet did you use? I like my 260 might build a grendel upper for the ar someday.

Back