6-284 slow twist loads

M595Nut

Purchased a Remington Model 7 with a 28" 1:12" twist PacNor barrel mainly for long range coyote hunting, yet gun may see a wolf hunt and/or deer hunt this fall. For the latter I'd like to use either the Barnes 80 gr. TTSX or the Sierra 85 Gameking. Coyotes I would like to run the 75 V max. Powders I have available are:

IMR4350
H4831SC
Surplus 4831

First, any suggestions for safe starting loads with any of these combinations, and also what kinds of velocities are you getting?

My 6-284 is built on a Rem 700 SA with a Lilja 26in 1-12tw barrel. I mostly shoot 75gr Vmax with Hodgdon H4350 and they all shoot into one big hole. Just yesterday I picked it up from my gunsmiths who threaded the barrel for me so I can use my new SAS Barricade suppressor on it and he raved about how well it shot.

Hear is the load data for my 6-284. It's a relatively conservative amount of powder but you have to keep in mind I'm seating the bullet only 10thou off the lands which bumps the pressure back up as if it had my more powder.
Hornaday 75gr Vmax

Lapua 6.5-284 brass necked to 6-284

H4350 51.3gr

Fed 210 Primer

C.O.A.L. 2.732 (in my rifle that's 10thou off the lands)

3627 FPS avg. ES 11

This is a fairly conservative load but it shoots extremely well and brass life so far seems endless.

Excellent info., thank you. I should mention that our reamer designs must be very close as approx. 2.735" touches the lands for me with a 75 V max. The shorter throat allows me to seat bullets deep and use as a repeater in the short Model 7. I may work a little with the IMR4350 since I have on hand. So far the surplus 4831 is decent.

4831 is a good powder that seems to work in a little bit of everything. With bullets in the 75gr range, depending on how deep you're seating them, it's likely you'll run out of room before you get the velocity your looking for. Your IMR4350 with the 75's will probably give you better velocity with less powder.

I've used mine on many coyotes and those 75gr Vmax in my 6-284 are devastating on yotes and definitely, ARE NOT, hide friendly at all. They leave very large messy holes. Now that I've got it set up to run suppressed with my SAS Barricade, I can't hardly wait for the snow to fly.

Able to get out and shoot more test loads today with the 75 v max. Tried IMR4350 for up to 3750 fps but accuracy just wasn't acceptable. Surplus 4831 yielded 3785 fps and 3 shot groups of 1/2" +/- . Worked up to max load of the same powder for 3,890 but bolt click was becoming evident along with primer flow beginning.
85 Sierra Gameking also worked very well with groups about 1/2" and 3575 fps. Can't wait to try both of these loads on game this fall.

Please keep any more suggestions coming.

Mine is a 13T, but I just barely even tried working with 75's in it and not using any of those powders. For how mine gets used, the 55's shine.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAMine is a 13T, but I just barely even tried working with 75's in it and not using any of those powders. For how mine gets used, the 55's shine.

- DAA

That's funny, I'm about 180 from you, all I ever shoot are the 75's but I've thought about playing with some 55's just for fun and to see how fast I can make them shoot and still group well. But mine shoots the 75's sooooo darn well and I have a couple hundred of them already loaded up. Now that it's threaded and I'm shooting it with my SAS Barricade, it's almost like having a whole new gun again and it's going to start getting a lot more use I think.

Back