Wobble

josebd

My ar15 has quite bit of wobble between upper and lower reliever,I put a .010 shim in between the two,just behind safety that goes all the way across,it made it a real snug fit.
The rear take down pin does require a punch to get it started going in or out.
Does this hurt anything?will it effect accuracy,being snug like that?

i would thin your shim down just a touch. depending on the material you selected, some fine sandpaper would likely get the job done relatively quickly.

you're on the right track, but you want your gun to be in-field serviceable without the need for a punch if you get in a pinch.

i dont think you'll see a negative effect on the accuracy though with the two being a little overly snug otherwise.

The wobble doesnt effect accuracy. My DPMS has some slop, I made my own steel lower that is lock up tight. Gun shoots the same with either lower. Accuracy is all in the barrel.

I've always experienced the same - the wobble doesn't affect accuracy - but I really can't say how I think upper wobble is any different than bad bedding in a bolt gun. The optic is still mounted to the receiver in both cases, but it doesn't make sense to me it makes a difference in one but not the other... I expect we just expect better from the bolt gun...

I cant explain it either, just know what works.

I think the lateral slop doesnt effect the bullet. But if the slop was front to back then it might be totally different. Dremel out your take down pin holes and test it.
lol.gif

what happened to the old O-ring trick to take the slop out ? its been around a long time and works great.

this video explains it but he uses square rubber gaskets but you will get the idea, just use O-rings instead.

Back