6x45 deer hunters

yotehunter243

I have a 18" BHW 6x45 that I plan on deer hunting with this year. What are you guys shooting? Looking at the 85HPBT right now. But want to make sure I'm not overlooking any bullets.

Speer makes a 85 btsp. Also Berger 87vld shot very good in my 6x6.8. Hornady has a couple bullets that would work for deer too.

I use nothing but the 85g SGKHP & noslers 90g HBT bullets, they just plain work & accurate.
I have 6x45s on bolt actions.
80g Barnes ttsx, tsx, hornady 80g gmx are top bullets also.
I run these all in front of H335.

85 gr. Partition is the best bullet for the 6x45 in my opinion. It's soft enough to expand at 6x45 velocities and the partition will hold it together and help push through. I lost all faith in 85 grain SGK's in my .243, too soft.

The 80 gr barnes looks good but afraid I couldn't get the speed in a 18" barrel. Nosler makes a 80gr BT but itshe a dang varmint. Wish someone made a thick jacketed 65 or 70 gr bullet for the little cartridge.

I've shot them with 70 Sierra matchkings 70 grain Sierra blitzing and the 80 grain Sierra soft point bullet don't remember what it is called. Some drop in their tracks some run up to 50-60 yds

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243The 80 gr barnes looks good but afraid I couldn't get the speed in a 18" barrel. Nosler makes a 80gr BT but itshe a dang varmint. Wish someone made a thick jacketed 65 or 70 gr bullet for the little cartridge.

If your worried about the slower velocity not opening a big game bullet enough, why would you be worried slow velocity will open a varmint bullet too much????????

Don't be afraid of the 70 or 80gr nosler. They are way tougher than you think (even if they are a varmint bullet), at least at speeds the 6x45 is capable of. I killed several deer last year with the 70gr version with excellent results in a 6x45 bolt gun (23" barrel). Even shot a few in the shoulders & resulted in a pile of dead deer. The bullet didn't penetrate through very many (mushroom usually caught in opposite hide, but none of the deer made it more than 45-50 yards from shot). The 80 will give you better penetration if you want better blood trails but all the 70's I found looked like this... A buddy has killed 50+ with the 70 in a short barrel 6BR all with great results. Dont be afraid..

When I had my 6X45 AR (20" barrel) I killed a few deer with the Sierra 75gr HP varminter. It also worked very good and gave better penetration also. Other than one deer I shot long ways, all bullets exited.

I cut my 6x45 bolt gun down to 18" for my suppressor this year. Hadn't decided if I'm goint to run the 70 Nosler, 80 Nolser or 75 Sierra HP this coming year for deer. However, regardless of which I choose; I will NOT be under gunned for sane ranges
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: yotehunter243The 80 gr barnes looks good but afraid I couldn't get the speed in a 18" barrel. Nosler makes a 80gr BT but itshe a dang varmint. Wish someone made a thick jacketed 65 or 70 gr bullet for the little cartridge.

If your worried about the slower velocity not opening a big game bullet enough, why would you be worried slow velocity will open a varmint bullet too much????????

Don't be afraid of the 70 or 80gr nosler. They are way tougher than you think (even if they are a varmint bullet), at least at speeds the 6x45 is capable of. I killed several deer last year with the 70gr version with excellent results in a 6x45 bolt gun (23" barrel). Even shot a few in the shoulders & resulted in a pile of dead deer. The bullet didn't penetrate through very many (mushroom usually caught in opposite hide, but none of the deer made it more than 45-50 yards from shot). The 80 will give you better penetration if you want better blood trails but all the 70's I found looked like this... A buddy has killed 50+ with the 70 in a short barrel 6BR all with great results. Dont be afraid..

When I had my 6X45 AR (20" barrel) I killed a few deer with the Sierra 75gr HP varminter. It also worked very good and gave better penetration also. Other than one deer I shot long ways, all bullets exited.

I cut my 6x45 bolt gun down to 18" for my suppressor this year. Hadn't decided if I'm goint to run the 70 Nosler, 80 Nolser or 75 Sierra HP this coming year for deer. However, regardless of which I choose; I will NOT be under gunned for sane ranges
thumbup.gif

Thanks for the reply. Lots of good info. My only concern with the thinner jacket bullets would be hitting a shoulder on a 300 to 350 pound buck. My buck last year dressed 270# I shot him with a 375 gr barnes and found the bullet just inside the hide on the opposite side. I ended up ordering the 85 sierra and may order some partitions to try or Barnes.

Yeah, our deer are little babies compared to what your saying. The deer I was shooting shoulders on where ~120-150# so could be a little different, but sure worked well. I still wouldn't be scared to send an 80 behind the shoulder, no matter how big...

Originally Posted By: cedarcreekcoonerI've shot them with 70 Sierra matchkings 70 grain Sierra blitzing and the 80 grain Sierra soft point bullet don't remember what it is called. Some drop in their tracks some run up to 50-60 yds

These are what I used too and they worked great.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243The 80 gr barnes looks good but afraid I couldn't get the speed in a 18" barrel. Nosler makes a 80gr BT but itshe a dang varmint. Wish someone made a thick jacketed 65 or 70 gr bullet for the little cartridge.

This is why when Kansas made any centerfire rifle legal I sold my 6x45's. The 55, 62 and 70 grain Barnes TSX work great from a 5.56 barrel.

Back