Best Bullet Puller???

Jason B

I have a few bullets that need pulled due to setting too short. I have looked online and there are so many options. I have a Forster Co-Ax press and I know that Forster makes what looks to be a decent bullet puller. Does anybody have any thoughts on it? Or what do you use that you've had great success with and that doesn't completely destroy the bullet.

Thanks

Welcome to PM.

I bought an RCBS collet type puller when I first started loading in 1952 and never have seen the need to experiment. Works great no marks on bullets.

RCBS BULLET PULLER

The Hornady puller looks like it would work equally well and with the co-ax press might be a bit handier as the press handle might interfere w/T-handle on the RCBS die??

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=hornady+bullet+puller

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
I've had one of the Hornady Cam Lock pullers for several years and can't imagine anything being easier to use with less probability for damage to the pulled bullets...For $10 you can have a collet for every caliber you load, mine are for .20, .22, .30 .38/.357, and .44

It really cane in handy when a friend of mine died and his widow gave me a bunch (1500-2000) of .38 and .357 rounds that he had reloaded some time ago...Pull the bullet, dump the powder, replace powder with known stuff, reset the bullets and presto, I have a bunch of ammo at an extremely low cost...and in which I have total confidence when shooting it..

The RCBS works great for me.
I use Co-Ax presses too, but I have a small entry-level Lee press that I can set up in a bench vise and pull bullets when I need to.
I like almost all of Forster's stuff but I would steer clear of the bullet puller because you have to use a wrench to tighten and loosen it every time on every bullet.

i used to just use an inertia puller.. until i had to pull 300+ very over crimped beowulf rounds i was given for salvage.

that got old real quick.

i picked up a RCBS collet puller and it works like a charm!

i do sometimes i wish i would have selected the hornady cam lock system due to its apparent ease of just flipping the lock handle over vs turning the rcbs, but the RCBS works great - and i was able to tack on the $10 rebate because i was picking up some other stuff anyway.

plus when i managed to break a petal off one of the inserts, RCBS shipped me a new one - ASAP and with basically no questions asked! Their warranty service is hard to beat!

So I guess I should ask, do you all prefer the collet pullers over the kinetic pullers? Does the powder go everywhere with a kinetic puller?

Originally Posted By: Plant.One
plus when i managed to break a petal off one of the inserts, RCBS shipped me a new one - ASAP and with basically no questions asked! Their warranty service is hard to beat!

They did the same for me when I boogered up a collet pulling a bunch of moly coated bullets.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Jason BSo I guess I should ask, do you all prefer the collet pullers over the kinetic pullers? Does the powder go everywhere with a kinetic puller?

the powder is contained within the kinetic puller - at least the model i have - however, for ease of use - collet pullers 100% over a kinetic. hands down, no questions asked. same ballpark, but entirely different sport type of thing.

i still use my kinetic from time to time when i'm doing OAL adjustments on a seating die and go to deep and need to knock a bullet back out just a touch on the initial adjustment height, but otherwise its just a piece of stuff hanging on the wall.

hth

RCBS Collet Puller all the way. I have broke the Inertia pullers before with some rounds that had too much neck tension. Price looks good on the inertia pullers but another example of you pay for what you get. Get the RCBS and don't look back.

Last edited:
My opinion, for what its worth, is the kenetic pullers suck. You have to sort the bullet from the powder and if the case is tight, you sometimes damage the point of the bullet. I use the RCBS now and have no complaints other than its a bit slow going but doesn't damage bullets and you can dump the powder into a container with out the bullet in with it. The grip and pull looks like it would be a lot faster than any of the others though.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy opinion, for what its worth, is the kenetic pullers suck.

I borrowed a kinetic puller from a buddy before I got the RCBS collet puller.
I tried to buy it from him just so I could lay it down on the shop floor and pound it into little tiny pieces with a big hammer.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy opinion, for what its worth, is the kenetic pullers suck.

I tried to buy it from him just so I could lay it down on the shop floor and pound it into little tiny pieces with a big hammer.

lol.gif

haha... fw Sounds like it worked out great!!!

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy opinion, for what its worth, is the kenetic pullers suck.

lol.gif

If you use it in the house, you won't be in the house very long!! If you have a family!!

I've used both but I prefer the kinetic, I use a Quinetics, for most of mine. Short shank exposure on 17's and 20's can be a bit problematic for me with the collet type. Plus I don't have a single stage so it is a bit of a hassle on my presses.

Greg

If I ever decide that my electricians pliers are not good enough for what I do, I will get the grip-n-pull. Same concept, just easier on the bullet it looks to me like.

The grip-n-pull looks great but I don't believe I can get the bullet high enough to use it in a Forster press. I'm sure a way could be found though.

Originally Posted By: Jason BThe grip-n-pull looks great but I don't believe I can get the bullet high enough to use it in a Forster press. I'm sure a way could be found though.

Watch the 2 min. mark on:

Regards,
hm

Have owned the Forester bullet puller for six or so years now. It works, but I'm not real happy with it. Has been times, I could not remove a bullet with it due to the shape of the bullet not allowing a good enough grip with the Forester collets for its extraction. Also, I've pretty much removed the knurling on its main body that you will need to grip with something like channel-lock pliers, when tightening the collet on bullet to be pulled.

Back