Let's Have Some fun: "The Worst Idea I ever had While Coyote Hunting...."

Out hunting in the grass in northern AZ.
After wondering around following 2 tracks and seeing the highway a few hundred yards off, my buddy says, i am sure there is a gate over there.

Off through the grass we go, at sunset.

No gate and oh, there are washes and deep ruts from when it does rain.

after an hour of trying to find a way around and a gate, I turned back.

we were literally 50 yards from the gate we had come in from, and all of a sudden a large bump and dead stop.

Yep, the F150 FX$ was sitting there with all 4 wheels in the air perfectly perched on a wash out. There was no digging out. We called in friends and they towed me off it.

Word to the wise, don't leave the road.. Anymore i don't even like wondering down 2 tracks very much either. I figure if someone took the time to make a road, it's going somewhere. 2 tracks can turn into a seriously bad idea that you most likely will have to drive back through.

I have also noticed the forest roads have numbers and letters. Numbers are fine, not a lot of meaning to me.. But, i have noticed the letters A-Z are in order of quality of road.. "A" is good, "H" isn't so good, and "S" is the first letter of the dirty word you will be saying as you bang your pumpkin on the rocks (twice) cause it's a dead end.. haha

In the first few years i made the change to coyote hunting, i heard to sit on a ladder in Phoenix area, to get elevated above the brush..

Ok.. Seems dumb, but if it works, its not dumb.

I set up on a ladder and yes, it works.. Except the base wasn't as stable as i liked.. Coyote comes in and i fired off Hornady shotgun shells. Over i go off a 6' ladder.

I don't do that anymore. lol

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ...Anymore i don't even like wondering down 2 tracks very much either...

I hear what you are saying. I really do!

But... I LIVE to wander obscure 2 tracks. I absolutely LOVE wandering 2 tracks that seem to go nowhere. I spend a lot of time doing it all year round, not just coyote hunting. But I especially love it while coyote hunting.

That said... I've gotten myself into many worlds of chit doing it. I really do, totally get what you are saying.

Can't help myself though. I'm just not right, I guess. But life wouldn't hardly seem worth living if I couldn't get out pretty regular and just follow those old 2 tracks for days at a time, just to see what I can see.

- DAA

Last year, we had to make "one more stand'" as some storms were rolling in. About half-way through the stand we decided discretion was the better part of valor and made double time back to the truck. By the time we got there the sky was turning green and looking the way it does when things are about to get really ugly up here on the Plains.

We get in the truck and my phone is buzzing like an angry rattlesnake. It was my wife, she knew where we were calling at, and was warning us there was a confirmed tornado on the ground less than 10 miles from us. Roads were already pretty sketchy from storms the day before, and it was real interesting getting out of the line of the storm.

Wasn't my idea but my competition partner decided not to carry his shotgun into a stand. On a competition day. Without my knowledge. Well guess who missed a running coyote at 20 yards with his rifle? It cost us quite a bit of money. He said he'd carry it from now on. I still like to raz him about it occasionally.

Worst thing I ever did was to take a pee in a bush that had a rusty wire running thru it - you guessed it! The "rusty, old" electric fence was still live. Don't think my eyes have ever been open that wide!

Night hunting coyote in pasture on the fence-line . Lining up on a shot and tapping the end of my Suppressor on a hot wire . BoltRifle chassis was all Alum. modular with Alum. handguard .

Many years ago we were calling on the California side of the Colorado River. I should've known better but we stopped in for lunch at a place called MOM'S in Vidal Junction. We both ordered a bowl of Chili.

All the advice I can give is NEVER order a bowl of chile at a place called MOM'S.

to make this short shooting through a brushy fence row with a band new electric fence wire on the other side that I didn't see.The recoil of my rifle just tipped up enough to hit the wire. Being well grounded I had a big fart and snot boogers come out my nose and thought my rifle blew up. killed the coyote but I dont think it was worth it. Took awhile for my eyes to uncross.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LightningRossto make this short shooting through a brushy fence row with a band new electric fence wire on the other side that I didn't see.The recoil of my rifle just tipped up enough to hit the wire. Being well grounded I had a big fart and snot boogers come out my nose and thought my rifle blew up. killed the coyote but I dont think it was worth it. Took awhile for my eyes to uncross.

I had the same reaction just reading it. Lol

Originally Posted By: LightningRossto make this short shooting through a brushy fence row with a band new electric fence wire on the other side that I didn't see.The recoil of my rifle just tipped up enough to hit the wire. Being well grounded I had a big fart and snot boogers come out my nose and thought my rifle blew up. killed the coyote but I dont think it was worth it. Took awhile for my eyes to uncross.

Me to that made me laugh out loud...

Not really a mistake but kind of. I was hunting with my then 13 yo daughter for coyotes and we had a blank stand and she went to get the fox pro and I was folding up bog pods blah blah blah take the remote off the mount on my AR and go to put it in my pocket right at the same time she puts her hands on the caller and out blows a challenge howl and she literally seemed to turn inside out. She WAS NOT happy with dad at all. It was truly a accident but I couldn't stop laughing and she was pissed at me. I have had to go get the caller ever since and that was 4-5 yrs ago....

Classic!

C'mon, guys, fess up.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Well,,, Had a day where I started with coyote hunting/video shoot. On the side of a small ravine making noise facing west. Twenty minutes into a hunt that truly becomes a debacle I see straight across from me on the other side of this ravine a pup coyote, sitting down, and assessing that green camo(me). Being the truly professional that I am? I only have 3 rounds in my 22-250 and no spares with me. I mean, who needs all that ammo - right? Since he is sitting(must have been there a while) I have an easy, 130 yard chip shot. POW, down goes the coyote flopping and carrying on, second round? missed! Third round, got him again! Nope he keeps flopping and ammo shy. Camera's been running the whole time. Get up and go over to the coyote, find a 40 pound rock and end his misery; all on camera.

On the way home I see a fox sitting in a neighbors field, and, ironically, there is ONE shell laying in my ash tray. So, here we go again! Put the cross hairs on his front shoulders, POW, flop; looks like a good shot, no movement. Go over to where it lays, go to pick him up, and bip, he almost gets my hand. Now the fun starts. Both shoulders are broke. He gets up on his back legs and makes like a kangaroo for 100 yards. Me, with no shells find a 20 or so pound rock and after him I go. We did a lot of figure eights until I finally wore him out. You guessed it. Second kill of the day with a ROCK. Dang I have to much fun!! Oh yeah, I now carry 10 rounds because you never know, I may call in a whole pack of them predators!

Quote:He gets up on his back legs and makes like a kangaroo for 100 yards. Me, with no shells find a 20 or so pound rock and after him I go. We did a lot of figure eights until I finally wore him out. You guessed it. Second kill of the day with a ROCK. Dang I have to much fun!! Oh yeah, I now carry 10 rounds because you never know, I may call in a whole pack of them predators!

Would love to see that video some time, dog1whckr. Don't guess ya got the fox on film did you?
lol.gif
lol.gif

For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you now carry a pocket full of rocks. Still laffin'
lol.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Did not get the fox on video.

The thought of carrying a couple rocks would work; however, I'm surrounded by available rock
tongue_smilie.gif

The very beginning of learning to call coyotes we would stick kotex panty liners doused with skunk scent to the outside of my suburban for night calling to mask the scent of the rig. Can't say that it helped any.

Not coyote hunting related but, I got the Tequila out tonight. I'll find out tomorrow how good/ bad that idea was.

Stay tuned.....

Back