Kansas coyote hunting question

Michyotes

Me and a buddy of mine are talking about going to Kansas this winter. I was wondering what the land regulations are. I no in North Dakota if it's not posted private property you can be on it. I was wondering if that's how Kansas is to.

You have to have permission on private land in Kansas, even if it is not posted. It doesn't hurt to knock on some doors though. There are still people out there that will let you call coyotes. There is also some wiha land that can be pretty good calling, but I would hunt it before deer season. Most public hunting gets hit pretty hard.

This is the best help I can give you at the moment. I used the ArcGIS app last year as a backup but we drove past much more walk-in land than what was posted on the app's maps.
Which part of the state are you thinking about going to?

I tried to post a link but it wasn't working. ksoutdoors.com and go from there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MichyotesOk. We are thinking we are gonna head down there this winter sometime. Heard there are a lot Yotes in Kansas

There are no coyotes in Kansas.
wink.gif

We are not sure on what part yet. We are just asking around trying to learn some good places to go and what parts of the state might be better And more about it. Any bit of help will be greatly appreciated. I will check that link out you told me about subpar. Thank you!

Are you planning on hunting coyotes?
Or coyotes and bobcat/fox?
Or coyotes and upland birds?

If hunting coyotes only...or coyotes and upland birds...you will need a non-resident hunting license, which currently costs $97.50.
If hunting coyotes and bobcat/fox...you will need that license...PLUS a non-resident furharvester's license, which is $252.50.

Here is the link to the regulations on the KS Dept of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism's site, concerning the general hunting regs for coyote & furbearing hunting: http://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Hunting-Regulations/General-Information

That tells you the basics about trespass laws, licenses & such.

If you're planning on hunting any of the Walk-In Hunting Access tracts (private property that has been leased for a certain time period, for public hunting)...here is the link to the info on it: http://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Hunting-Fishing-Atlas/Fall-Hunting-Atlas ....NOTE: The new updated Fall Hunting atlas for 2016, is not yet listed. However, normally, a lot of the same tracts are enrolled year after year (w/exceptions, of course).

I hope this is some help to you.
Having not been able to do any hunting (health) for a couple years now, I can't give any better info than that.

I live in the north-central part of the state.
Prior to the last couple of years, I hunted a lot of WIHA tracts (throughout 14 counties in north-central Kansas), starting about 1996/1997.
Called and killed a lot of WIHA coyotes over the years.
If a guy is choosy & tries to call those properties that don't look good for upland birds (such as pastures & creeks), you CAN find spots that aren't hunted TOO often. Hahaha

It also helps IF a guy can hunt during the week, instead of the weekend.

IMHO, if planning to hunt WIHA, it's best to check out any aerial views of the properties...whether via an app, or via Google Earth, ect.
That way, you can rule out tracts on the atlas, that are nothing but crop fields (some w/o standing crop stubble).
It'll save a lot of extra driving and frustrations.

Afterthought:

I just remembered hearing recently...there's getting to be more and more landowners here, who have started charging a "lease fee" to resident and non-resident hunters that they don't know personally.
That's just what I have heard. Don't know how much truth is in it. Or how much the average is being charged, though.
Something to keep in mind.

I would probably go towards the central to western part of the state. It's more open with less population, creeks and rivers and also has a lot more walk in hunting. But those areas are also going to get tromped to death during pheasant season. Knocking on doors away from the cities would probably lead to more success.

That helps out a lot!! Thank you very much on all the help!! We are talking about going for a week. It would be nice to hunt the Yote bobcat and fox. But thanks for all the help! If I have more questions I'll let you guys no. Thanks a lot!!

Originally Posted By: MichyotesThat helps out a lot!! Thank you very much on all the help!! We are talking about going for a week. It would be nice to hunt the Yote bobcat and fox. But thanks for all the help! If I have more questions I'll let you guys no. Thanks a lot!!

Not sure how much more help I can be. But, I'll try to help as much as I can, sir.
smile.gif

Back