Something I have never seen in PD's

Pack_Wolf

Earlier this summer there were several ghost white prairie dog pups running around close to a well traveled road. I didn't want to shoot that close to the road so I left them. I went back last week and saw them as adults, but there were several on both sides of the road now and some pups in the same location.
They are grayish white and I have never seen a PD like that and it is obvious they are breeding.

How about you?

Pack

I suspect they're inbred, and passing along their (albino?) genes among each other... Seems like a recipe to attract predators, though, I'm surprised a hawk or two hasn't destroyed their little colony.

Prairie dogs naturally kick out males every year from the colony to prevent inbreeding, not likely that's it. Albinism in animals happens about once in every 10,000 births and it's all or nothing, that's also not likely. However, it could just be a genetic mutation of kinds causing the discoloration of the skin, something more along the lines of piebald, but not exactly that.

Originally Posted By: BWBPrairie dogs naturally kick out males every year from the colony to prevent inbreeding, not likely that's it. Albinism in animals happens about once in every 10,000 births and it's all or nothing, that's also not likely. However, it could just be a genetic mutation of kinds causing the discoloration of the skin, something more along the lines of piebald, but not exactly that.

Could be a colony that was decimated down to low numbers, every once in awhile when the colonies get large they get killed off by disease. In lower numbers a genetic thing like that can start to be seen in larger numbers. Interesting though.

Originally Posted By: SubpaRWould you be shooting from the road or towards the road? Was it legal/did you have permission to shoot?

How does this fall into the question at all?

There was some drinking involved, and that's why i don't post/respond to very many posts.

I threw the OP off on something I know nothing about. I frequent this forum to learn things, not gum up the works. Apologies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubpaRThere was some drinking involved, and that's why i don't post/respond to very many posts.

I threw the OP off on something I know nothing about. I frequent this forum to learn things, not gum up the works. Apologies.

That's just kinda funny!!!

Back