Beware All Dinosaurs.

This really has nothing to do with dinosaurs, although if they existed this would be an appropriate cartridge to take them. The .950 JdJ. I put this here mainly for discussion and not for any knowledge so why take up space in any of the more serious threads.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2014/02/biggest-rifle-ever-made-jdj-950

In this article he says ".700 Nitro Express which is made by Holland & Holland ... delivers 8,900 foot pounds of muzzle energy." I'm correct in assuming the only game animal one could seek with a .700 Nitro Express is elephant and maybe black buffalo or hipotamus but even then it's a bit overkill. But I've read where some say even a .700 Nitro is to much for elephant.

He says in the paragraph above that "The .950 JDJ develops 25,400 foot pounds of muzzle energy..." so I guess my question is would the .950 JDJ even be too much for say a T-Rex? If a game animal was shot with it what kind of damage are we talking on say a 250 lb whitetail deer? It almost has more foot pounds of energy than 3 .700 Nitro Express rounds! Just for those who may not know the .950 JDJ parent case is a 20mm aircraft cartridge.

Thanks, Jaycob.

Last edited:
I think it would make a fine squirrel rifle. But everyone knows it'll never replace a .17HMR .
tt2.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

allegedly there's a video on that page. I see the top half one that's hawking some service, not shooting some stupidly ginormous gun.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei've always enjoyed the video from the Knight Muzzleloader guys

This is the first video I watched and by far the best one haha.

I would love to see some body armor tests with this round, obviously body armor would be ineffective but it'd be cool to see how "ineffective" it would be. The guns weigh over 100 lbs and they say the recoil is still miserable even with a muzzle brake as big as a milk jug haha.

Originally Posted By: JJTAlwaysWishingOriginally Posted By: azmastablastaYes, but would it be fur friendly? Possibly, you'd have to use something less than a half pound of lead though.

thankfully they look to be solid machined brass
smile.gif
should be just fine and no expansion at all..... yanno... Ice Pick them...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: JJTAlwaysWishingOriginally Posted By: azmastablastaYes, but would it be fur friendly? Possibly, you'd have to use something less than a half pound of lead though.

thankfully they look to be solid machined brass
smile.gif
should be just fine and no expansion at all..... yanno... Ice Pick them...
lol.gif
Id bet if you shot a yote head on the bullet would pass all the way through with no expansion at all. Icepick em.

Back