69 gr sierra tmk

michael97885

hello guys in my quest for a pelt friendly bullet i seem to have hopefully found a good one. {even though sierra says my gun wont shoot them.} i have a tang safty 220 with a Mcgowen 1 in 12 twist 28 in barrel i bought these to try and figured if they didn't shoot i would just load them in my 223. however my swift loves them found a accurate load and headed to the chrono but i can say at 100 yds it cuts holes and from just a bipod with a 12 power Nikon scope 2 in groups at 425 not the steadiest of rests .but good enough for dogs and actual situation in the field. i have to sacrafice a dog to test them out, don't want to but have to see performance. if you can try them i have my fingers crossed. i will keep you posted.

I shoot a home swaged 69gn rebated boat tail soft point in a 223 and also a 22-250 Ackley. Both rifles have 1/9" twist barrels and both are bolt actions. In the 223 I can get right close to 3000 fps but not quite. In the 22-250 Ackley an even 3500 fps.
There is a world of difference in how this bullet will perform at each different velocity.
I make some of these bullets using 22 RF empty cases for jackets. The 22 RF jackets are very thin compared to commercial jackets so very explosive. I found that using the thin 22 RF jackets in the 22-250 AI I can only get 3000 fps before accuracy goes to pot. A little more velocity and the bullets come apart in the air.
I found no gain between rifles with the thin jacket bullets as 3000 fps is top for either. In order to get the 3500 fps the 22-250 AI is capable of with this weight bullet I have to use commercial jackets. I have been using Sierra J-4 jackets for this and they will handle all the coal I dare to pile on.
Your 220 Swift with long barrel should be able to do about the same 3500 fps as the 22-250 AI with this weight bullet. Both cartridges should have about the same case volume only my barrel is 27".

I am running them at 3200 and they shoot great! I have shot only two so far with them one at around 350 was not drt ,but only went about 20 yrds before done. The other one was at about 80 yrds broad side the exit on the closer one was about the size of the end of my thumb. About 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Very nice! The farther one was about 3/8 exit very pleased so far. Have been trapping alot and not much calling but at the end of the month am going on a 4 to 5 day coyote hunt down in the sagebrush of mid to southern Oregon hopefully will put them through the paces. Fingers crossed .

Back