Let's Have Some fun: "The Worst Idea I ever had While Coyote Hunting...."

hm1996

Staff member
I'll start it off.

A number of years ago, my partner and I set up Catty-corner across the intersection of a two track and a sendero. I sat in edge of brush at the NE corner, and placed the call and decoy about 50 yards to the east on the sendero and watched it and to the south roadway. My partner was on SW corner, watching north and west.

Had been calling for about 30 minutes when a couple of javelina approached within 3' of the call/decoy. Since I have had one javelina grab my decoy and start to run off with it, I decided to have some fun with this one.

I cranked the volume all the way up on the FoxPro and hit mountain lion in heat!

I was laughing out loud and feeling pretty smug until my partner said, "What the h*** was that? Didn't you see the coyote that stepped out 60 yards down the west sendero? I was on him and just squeezing the trigger when you ran him off!"

Well, it seemed like the thing to do at the time.
unsure.gif

OK, who's next?

Regards,
hm

I have this friend who shot a yearling whitetail his first night hunt.....apparently it came bouncing in to fawn in distress and got a 55 gr to the melon....we haven't hunted together since

Originally Posted By: hm1996I'll start it off.

A number of years ago, my partner and I set up Catty-corner across the intersection of a two track and a sendero. I sat in edge of brush at the NE corner, and placed the call and decoy about 50 yards to the east on the sendero and watched it and to the south roadway. My partner was on SW corner, watching north and west.

Had been calling for about 30 minutes when a couple of javelina approached within 3' of the call/decoy. Since I have had one javelina grab my decoy and start to run off with it, I decided to have some fun with this one.

I cranked the volume all the way up on the FoxPro and hit mountain lion in heat!

I was laughing out loud and feeling pretty smug until my partner said, "What the h*** was that? Didn't you see the coyote that stepped out 60 yards down the west sendero? I was on him and just squeezing the trigger when you ran him off!"

Well, it seemed like the thing to do at the time.
unsure.gif

OK, who's next?

Regards,
hm

LMAO.. Thats a winner
wink.gif

All mine involve deciding I could drive through stuff it turns out I couldn't.

I hate (and fear) mud...

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAAll mine involve deciding I could drive through stuff it turns out I couldn't.

I hate (and fear) mud...

- DAA

I hear that, Dave; that's probably the second worst idea I've had, but that wasn't hunting coyotes.

It all began here when my bud shot a nilgai cow 200 yards off hard ground just as a driving rain struck. Next thing I knew I was headed out to retrieve the cow

The rain struck and things got worse....a lot worse

I just thought I'd been stuck til I managed to get my 1/2 ton sittin on the frame w/only one tree at a 45* angle that the winch line would reach. Surprisingly the 9500# winch had the muscle to pull truck sideways. The wide ruts in foreground were made by front wheels being pulled sideways. Took three different pulls to high ground but finally got the nilgai out.

Regards,
hm

1.Calling during rifle deer season on ground I didn't own or control !!! Pretty scary in my part of the world.

2. Thinking my horses would keep their distance from the e-caller since it was an inanimate object. When they didn't, thinking a howl would scare them away!

3. Stepping over the top wire on a barb wire fence that was a couple of inches tooooo high!

4. Hunting with a fellow that thought it would be all right to help me get unsnagged from same fence!

Originally Posted By: DAAAll mine involve deciding I could drive through stuff it turns out I couldn't.

I hate (and fear) mud...

- DAA

Man, I've done a whole bunch of this over the years. Flooded muddy woods roads are my nemesis.

There are few mistakes calling coyotes, just lessons to learn.. But the closest I have come is crossing icy water in winter..

Originally Posted By: flintrock1.Calling during rifle deer season on ground I didn't own or control !!! Pretty scary in my part of the world.

2. Thinking my horses would keep their distance from the e-caller since it was an inanimate object. When they didn't, thinking a howl would scare them away!

3. Stepping over the top wire on a barb wire fence that was a couple of inches tooooo high!

4. Hunting with a fellow that thought it would be all right to help me get unsnagged from same fence!

+1 on #3
I just look at a barbed wire fence and my pants split apart right down the middle it seems

Quote:3. Stepping over the top wire on a barb wire fence that was a couple of inches tooooo high!

Quote:
+1 on #3
I just look at a barbed wire fence and my pants split apart right down the middle it seems

Ahhhh......one bad idea I have not been plagued by; may be because I know my short legs won't reach the top wire, let alone clear it.
lol.gif

I know there's lots of you guys that have had some ideas that didn't quite pan out the way you planned it.....c'mon, admit it...and details, please.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Playing calf distress while night hunting a pasture field I didn't know they had moved the cattle to that day.

My most recent "bad idea" was to look through thermal the first time.

A few years ago, Bald Eagles started showing up around here. My partner and I were walking back to the truck after a stand and one was sitting in a dead tree about 1000 yards away. We were almost to a road when my buddy decided to take a look at it through his rifle scope. I quickly told him " Don't do that". The game warden happened to be coming down the road from the opposite direction. Luck was on my buddies side that day.

my buddy once put his foot to close to a spine shot coyotes head. he found out the mouth and teeth still worked just fine on that coyote even though not much else did.

also once had a wounded coyote that i chased down and finished off with a hard boot kick to the head. drug it back to the jeep and put it in back. several miles down the road i look in the rear view mirror and the coyote is looking back at me. that was kind of spooky.

here is a tip. do not ever kick a dead porcupine.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot ...several miles down the road i look in the rear view mirror and the coyote is looking back at me. that was kind of spooky.

We had one decide to have a "I feel happy" moment in the back of the truck once too. Don't want to disclose too much about it, but it was a crazy minute or two there in the car wash...

- DAA

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot my buddy once put his foot to close to a spine shot coyotes head. he found out the mouth and teeth still worked just fine on that coyote even though not much else did.

And this...

Reminds me of a bad decision I saw someone else make. Way back when the world was young. I was just a child. But it left an impression on me! Pretty sure I've posted the story before. Probably more than once, but I'll post it again in a bit.

- DAA

Okay, this is long, but it fits in perfectly with HM's intent for this thread. Not my idea, but definitely a very bad idea that was had while coyote hunting...

On a weekend calling trip with my Dad and his partner, when I was about 10 or 11 years old… It was January, if I remember right, and just bitter cold. Dad’s partner had a spanking new rifle along. I used to know all the details about it, but it’s been too long, and all I can really remember now is that it had a gorgeous piece of wood on it, and it was new, and it had cost plenty.

Can’t remember now whether it was my Dad or his buddy that put lead in the old dog coyote, but one of them shot this coyote that was coming in to the call. After the stand was done, we all three walked out to where the coyote had gone down. It wasn’t dead, not nearly.

Fur was worth some real money back then. I mean, REAL money. So rather than put another hole in it, Dad’s friend elected to butt stroke that old coyote in the noggin. Why he wanted to do that, I can’t say, Dad usually dispatched ‘em with a boot stomp over the heart. But, anyway, he decided to butt stroke that old coyote. And when he did, that gorgeous new stock just SHATTERED!

The guy stood there in stunned silence for a moment, just staring at his broken stock. Then he erupted into a rage and started spewing out obscenities and words combined in exquisitely creative and filthy expressions, such as my 11 year old Mormon raised ears had never heard! I mean, I was seriously impressed with the way this guy was cussing! It was beautiful!

Well, I may have been impressed, but apparently that old coyote was not… As this old boy stood there with his broken rifle cussing up a storm, that old coyote reached over and bit him on the foot, clear through his boot! Man, you should have HEARD the howls and curses coming out of that man. To this day, I have never heard a more articulate, soul felt, inspirational, just plain ARTISTIC use of foul language in my life! I mean, it was BEAUTIFUL!

But to see him hopping around on one leg, holding his broken rifle, cursing so as to make a pirate blush, HOLY CHIT that was funny! Me and my Dad both laughed until we cried, which just seemed to upset the old boy even more and drive him to new heights of rage and obscenity. By the time we all settled down, the coyote had passed quietly, and unnoticed.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOkay, this is long, but it fits in perfectly with HM's intent for this thread. Not my idea, but definitely a very bad idea that was had while coyote hunting...

On a weekend calling trip with my Dad and his partner, when I was about 10 or 11 years old… It was January, if I remember right, and just bitter cold. Dad’s partner had a spanking new rifle along. I used to know all the details about it, but it’s been too long, and all I can really remember now is that it had a gorgeous piece of wood on it, and it was new, and it had cost plenty.

Can’t remember now whether it was my Dad or his buddy that put lead in the old dog coyote, but one of them shot this coyote that was coming in to the call. After the stand was done, we all three walked out to where the coyote had gone down. It wasn’t dead, not nearly.

Fur was worth some real money back then. I mean, REAL money. So rather than put another hole in it, Dad’s friend elected to butt stroke that old coyote in the noggin. Why he wanted to do that, I can’t say, Dad usually dispatched ‘em with a boot stomp over the heart. But, anyway, he decided to butt stroke that old coyote. And when he did, that gorgeous new stock just SHATTERED!

The guy stood there in stunned silence for a moment, just staring at his broken stock. Then he erupted into a rage and started spewing out obscenities and words combined in exquisitely creative and filthy expressions, such as my 11 year old Mormon raised ears had never heard! I mean, I was seriously impressed with the way this guy was cussing! It was beautiful!

Well, I may have been impressed, but apparently that old coyote was not… As this old boy stood there with his broken rifle cussing up a storm, that old coyote reached over and bit him on the foot, clear through his boot! Man, you should have HEARD the howls and curses coming out of that man. To this day, I have never heard a more articulate, soul felt, inspirational, just plain ARTISTIC use of foul language in my life! I mean, it was BEAUTIFUL!

But to see him hopping around on one leg, holding his broken rifle, cursing so as to make a pirate blush, HOLY CHIT that was funny! Me and my Dad both laughed until we cried, which just seemed to upset the old boy even more and drive him to new heights of rage and obscenity. By the time we all settled down, the coyote had passed quietly, and unnoticed.

- DAA

That is a good one. I can visualize it as if I was there.

Back