Which .22-250 should I get? Sako or Savage?

Caracal

Hi everybody

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if I do something stupid or post in the wrong section.

My conundrum is as follows: I'm in the market for a .22-250. This will be my first varmint rifle. I have a regular hunting rifle for deer, a Sauer .30-06. Currently, I cannot decide between a Savage VLP 12 DBM and a Sako 85 Hunter Stainless. Both are priced exactly the same (the Sako having been sitting at the dealership for a long time). The Savage is a 1:12 twist, the Sako 1:14. I like the features of the Savage (fluted target barrel and accu-trigger) and it seems a more solid rifle for the long shots. On the other hand the Sako is beautiful with the wood and stainless combo, and it's a Sako, at a bargain price for a new rifle.

I have read extensively online about twist rates and the wear the faster twists such as 1:9 can have on the barrel. I will mostly be hunting on prairie like terrains (wide, flat farmland). Prey includes crows, egyptian geese, rock chucks,foxes and meerkat (yes, I am in South Africa). Distances will be anything from 50-400m. Wind ranges from mild to moderate breezes 2-15 knots)I have an old Leopold VX3 with 50mm objective which I plan to mount on the rifle.

The Sako is very light and more portable (no target barrel), but will this affect accuracy and waiting time between multiple shots? The Savage is widely praised and reviews seem very good, but is it too heavy and limited to bench top shooting? The 1:12 twist seams the ideal compromise between a 1:14 and 1:9. Can shoot the light stuff as well as the heavier loads on the 55gr end of the scale. But maybe the 1:14 can handle the 55's as well, depending on ammo brand...

So as you can see I am very much undecided and probably overthinking things. Only reason for the indecisiveness is the fact that obtaining a firearm in my country takes a very long time with lots of red tape. (getting a license takes on average between 6 and 18 months) So I need to be sure about what I pick.

Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated!

Welcome Caracal! I feel your pain. A Sako at a Savage price would be a tough decision for sure. Both rifles have a special purpose and the choice would be hard for sure. I guess I would probably lean toward the Sako mainly because good deals on Sako's don't come around to often. Tough decision!!

Are you going to reload for this or only shoot factory ammo? I ask because the majority of factory ammo for the 22-250 is more geared around a 1-14tw but if you load your own a 1-14tw barrel will limit your bullet selection considerably. The 1-12tw still won't allow you to shoot the high bc heavies but it'll definitely give you more options than a 1-14 will.

For me, it would be a no brainer, the 1-12 and heavier barrel on the Savage would trump anything that particular Sako had to offer.

I'm no particular fan of Savage centerfire rifles, not because they don't shoot well because they generally shoot very well but, I could just never warm up to the look and style of the Savage action, to me they are just fugly but putting that aside, they always seem to work well and not to many rifles offer the ability to rebarrel them yourself with the ease that the Savage does.

I dunno! I have had a few Savages and only a couple Sakos and as much as I enjoy my Savages I dont see how I would pass over a Sako to buy a Savage if the price was the same.

Yes, you are bit limited as far as bullet weight goes with the 1/14" twist, but that is what I have with my .220 Swift, my own .22/250 and my .223 AI and I have killed prairie dogs out as far as 700 yards. I think that you will be just fine with the Sako when, of course, using the proper load.

So welcome to the forum and I hope we can both learn from each other. Please share some of your hunts with us! We love reading about different kinds of varmint shooting and what you got there is sure what we dont have here!

Savage has a reputation for shooting good groups, so does Sako in a more refined package.
Having a Sauer can spoil a guy.
I have had all three and still have the Sauer and Sako.
The Sako .22-250 shoots very well and I prefer lighter bullets, 45, 50. 52 mostly for the flat trajectory.
Coyotes get small at 400 yds and this is a general personal limit for me. Recently I shot some targets at 600 yards with a 5 mph wind.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Sako for sure! Burn up the barrel ASAP and get the twist and contour you want on the next barrel!

Heck yeah! I did not even think of that! Sure! Smoke that barrel and then have you a custom one of your own desire put on it. Happy days are ahead sounds like to me.

And dont forget the stories! And pictures! We like pictures!

Or! You can choose door number three and just buy both, shoot them awhile, then keep the one you liked best or better yet, keep them both!!!
thumbup.gif

Yes, I believe I'd like door number three please.
wink.gif

I've got a Savage VLP in 22-250 and can attest to it's accuracy. It's got close to 4500 rds down the pipe and the darn thing will still shoot 1/2" groups with an occasional flyer, probably due to the owner/shooter. It's a bit heavy but not overly so.

Don't get suckered in by looks, the Savage will be a MUCH better shooter. Sako's have long throats, savage short throat = better accuracy and longer barrel life!!!

The 14 twist would be a deal breaker for me. If you arent planning a rebarrel on the Sako, I personally would buy the 12 tw Savage. Sako being the nicer gun, Savage being twisted right for more bullet selection including the 60 gr vmax and maybe a better shooter as well. Both brands known for accuracy. Tough decision.

I've been a sucker for Sako all my life, the first center fire I got was a Sako Forrester, I've never had a Sako that wouldn't shoot one factory load or another under half an inch at 100yds.

SAKO

I'd say that if the Sako cost $1000 more

Last edited:
I'd go with the Sako, I have a Savage Model 12 VLP which I love it is the most accurate gun I own, but for hunting i'd much rather carry the Sako around. For a 55 gr bullet 1 in 14 twist is fine.

caracal, welcome to the forum . I have a savage model 12 BVSS in 22-250 and it shoots 1/2" moa all day. And sometimes 1/4" . Get the savage and buy as many hornady superformance 50gr as you can. Break in the barrel,go hunt and get you a reloader and handload your 1x brass with hornady 50 gr .All my savages shoot very well.And as said you can customize them as well.Good luck.Keep in touch. Gary

Originally Posted By: hate2workhmm, should I get a skateboard or a mercedes.... Sako

That's a good way of putting it. I was going to use Toyota and Lexus but I like your metaphor better.

I should feel guilty perhaps because I like Sakos (which I no longer have any) better than Savages (which I have four) but what can I say? I do drive a Crown Victoria but would sure like it if it was a Lincoln!

Back