cleaning ?

i've been using hornady one shot for a bit now. seems to work well.

up until that time when i switched to hornady, i have historically been a rem oil kind of person.

I usually use Remington Bore Cleaner on the barrel, because one of my cousins left 4 bottles of it at my house. I didn't pay for it, but it does work fairly well, in my opinion. Before I started using it, I was a hardcore Rem-Oil fan. The Bore Cleaner does a lot better job with heavier deposits, but I still use a patch with Rem-Oil to remove any remaining Bore Cleaner residue.

To clean the bolt/carrier group, I use KG 1 from KG Industries. Its probably my favorite cleaning product. I'll probably start using it for cleaning barrels, too (as soon as I run out of the Remington stuff). For lubrication, (again) I used to be a Rem-Oil guy. I think its sufficient for lightly used target/varmint hunting rifles. However, if its a rifle that's going to get a lot of rounds run through it, I now use KG 4. I don't think there's anything fancy about it - its just a good quality CLP type oil. Its heavier than the Rem-Oil, so it stays in place, and holds up the the heat a lot better.

I believe people overthink the actual cleaning products a bit too much. As long as you're swabbing the bore and putting some lube on the BCG, you shouldn't have any problems. The one thing I think is overlooked the most is the chamber. Powder residue (and other junk) cause as many problems as anything else. You can save yourself a lot of trouble, if you get yourself a chamber brush and make it a part of your regular cleaning routine - especially if you use any steel cased ammo.

Back