New AR being created

Tackdriver

Dad-in-Law watched the Democratic convention on TV. He decided it was worth it to go ahead and finish up a AR build we had started earlier this spring. He had bought a bolt carrier and a stripped lower. I kicked in a 30 round mag. He was saving up and getting parts a few at a time. So he got me the rest of the funds after he watched the Democratic convention, and I ordered the remaining parts. It is going to be a clean looking carbine. Fixed stock, flat top, 16 inch 8 twist tube. It should look very clean, and it has a upgrade I threw in. A KNS pivot pin that has a place for a sling attachment. I also threw in a Magpul trigger guard. There were several other upgrades I wanted, but this project did have a budget and I cam in under budget by 27 cents.

I would use it myself, but my pivot pin has a picture of the Gadsen Snake on it. The takedown pin does too. The Obama administration made a fuss about the Gadsen Flag earlier this week so for this reason, I can not bear to remove it, even for a KNS pin.

So I started reloading for my AR today.

I prepped not quite 300 pieces of Federal brass, (223) with Rem 7 1/2 primers. I have 52 grain Amaxes, 40 Grain Barnes Varmintators, and Seirra 50 grain Blitzking.

The powder I have in that speed is H4198, I'll start with it. Hopefully I can get some bugholes to appear. We will see.

The recent political climate has definitely motivated me to finish up a few of my own projects. If it were me, I'd definitely keep the Gadsden Snake on the build. There are plenty of other ways to mount a sling.

If you're working up test loads, I'd recommend including a few heavier bullets in the 60-68 grain range, as well. I've always had an easier time getting those longer bullets to shoot well with a 1:9 or tighter barrel.

Back