Instructions on Howling.

Nice post, Tony..........we all have to help each other out.....

I only have one disagreement with you.....every time I practice in the car on a nice day, I scare the snot out of other drivers, especially at red lights!! You oughtta see the look on their faces!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I only have one problem with a commercial howler I bought several years ago...the mylar keeps slipping off to the side after calling a while, and I have to keep straightening it out despite the rubber band.....I can tell when it starts to slide because the calls/sound starts getting real ugly.......

John

Last edited:
This is great info. I just need to build the confidence to attempt use of of my howler before I get in the field. This should help me out.

Confidence is 90% of the game. Without it...nothing ever seems to go right.

Get out there at night and howl back and forth with those West Texas coyotes...they'll teach you more in 2 hours than anyone can in 2 years.

Tony

I suggest that you contact Dan Thompson. He will light up your world on howling.

Learing the howling, is key in coyote hunting. Learning to howl is learning how to think like a coyote.

to learn or not to learn....that is the question.

Learning takes the fun out of hunting for a lot of folks.

Make it fun for you!

good stuff Tony, do you guys think howling is as important of a skill to learn as distress calls back here in the East?? I know quite a few guys who do howl out here and some guys that don't even bother with it and stick solely with distress sounds...

Howling works good for me, when in an area that has a good population. When hunting here in Iowa, I don't bother with it for most my stands, except for two areas. I've had real good luck in other states with it day or night. I do nightime locate alot with it, though.

i agree, more call makers should get involved in this thread. If Tony will take the time to help out other hunters then you know that he will stand behind his product. He is one of the only custom call makers that i have seen on here that actually talk to others, and not once on this thread did he try to push his product, great job tony

a few quick questions.

-how do you make a non-aggressive bark instead of an aggressive bark? Do you just use less air?

-does it matter how high or low the pitch is?

non- aggressive bark is not so much less air, but do not force the air out as hard. An agressive bark force the air out of your lungs harder, almost huff the air out.

higher pitch for aggressive.

this has worked well for me.

I am unable to hear the sounds. Are they still available?
Nevermind, It was my fault. I got it now. Thanks so much these are great. I scared the pudding out of my co-worker. LOL!

Last edited:
tony I have been listening to the challenge and the busted howel over and over! can you help me understand the difference.Is it pitch,or the combination of the bark/ howl?

Back