Got another big male coming in to my front yard bait stump

jayatnight

I have a bait stump about 30 yrd from my front door.. Hes coming in about every other night around 2 am.. gonna get him soon.. will be the third coyote probably over 40 lbs I have got from my stump... the Stump is 3 ft tall.. I figure hes in the 35-40 lb range...

Hunting with my apex50a scope on my .223
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChY06XN-Jzj_g_-uUhkG-lw

WGI_0538_zpsiy5tsa6j.jpg

here is the other two big coyotes I have took from my stump
IMG_20160209_235441767_zpsslhd0hba.jpg

534908_10153088892430591_1078795406_n_zps4c0id0vb.jpg

mostly cooking grease from beef and leftovers.. and they love chocolate.... They cant deny the chocolate.. I had more luck with just putting chocolate icing on the stump than anything..

It an old family secret...

But dont tell everyone!!! lol

hrm. chocolate. interesting. there's a stump out back of the folks place, i may have to try that!

i'd love to catch them sneaking in the backyard!

if you think about house dogs.. They will snatch chocolate up without even smelling it.. where if u throw a piece of something else down they usually smell it first.. I was able to get a 55 gal drum of expired candy... I put it out in a field... I had so many coyotes coming in.. that it was empty in like a week.. well one bear did put a big dent in it lol..

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onehrm. chocolate. interesting. there's a stump out back of the folks place, i may have to try that!

Get a wireless drive way alarm. Set transmitter by the stump and receiver on your night stand. Beep.. beep... bang. Beats stand guard all night.

Originally Posted By: utah yoteOriginally Posted By: Plant.Onehrm. chocolate. interesting. there's a stump out back of the folks place, i may have to try that!

Get a wireless drive way alarm. Set transmitter by the stump and receiver on your night stand. Beep.. beep... bang. Beats stand guard all night.

this is pretty genius.. gonna have to try this..

Originally Posted By: jayatnightOriginally Posted By: utah yoteOriginally Posted By: Plant.Onehrm. chocolate. interesting. there's a stump out back of the folks place, i may have to try that!

Cant take credit for it. Found out about it in the baiting thread.

Originally Posted By: jayatnightOriginally Posted By: utah yoteOriginally Posted By: Plant.Onehrm. chocolate. interesting. there's a stump out back of the folks place, i may have to try that!

this works awesome. i have one that i use when i watch for racoon's and opossum up by the folks. i get em sneaking out of the barn and when the beeper goes off... my 22 is soon to follow most of the time!

$15 well spent!

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: jayatnight
utah yote said:
Plant.One said:
hrm. chocolate. interesting. there's a stump out back of the folks place, i may have to try that!

Do you know which one you bought?? I was looking and many of them said they only pick up metal...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jayatnightOriginally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: jayatnight
utah yote said:
Plant.One said:

Do you know which one you bought?? I was looking and many of them said they only pick up metal...

I use a Chamberlain CWA 2000. It detects heat. Under $60 at Amazon.
Lots of information on other units and tactics at the bating thread above.

I like your bait stump idea, Jay. It's good that you can shoot right from your house, and the distance is close so a couple of sensors at your bait site will greatly increase your success. You can't sit up all night waiting for a coyote to "hopefully" show up. The sensor will alert you.

Here's how I have been hunting for a few years now. Maybe this will give you or someone some ideas that might help. You can also play around with whatever works well for you.

I have a little hobo-shack of a cabin on our farm where I shoot from. My bait site is 60 yards from the cabin. I use the Driveway Patrol unit and it works great for coyotes. DoubleUp put me on to them a few years ago and I have been using them ever since. He modified both the transmitter and receiver with an external antenna in order to get greater ranges.

You can get the Driveway Patrols on Ebay, shipped for around the same price as the Harbor Freight one mentioned. I don't have experience with that one but the Driveway Patrol has served me well. Whatever works, works. I operate 4 of them at my site and nothing gets through. Have dropped several coyotes while using them.

I place the unit low to the ground, maybe one foot high. That way it will catch a coyote, skunk or whatever visits.
If you place it too high it might miss. Also notice the piece of black electrician's tape on the transmitter. There is
a little red bulb that illuminates when the transmitter is tripped and I don't want the coyote to see it, so I put tape over it.

The receiver is loud when set off. That won't matter most likely since you are inside your house, but in my case,
I had to make it quiet. My unit has the speaker wire cut inside and a lead coming out the front plate that is
attached to a 3.5mm female plug. That way I can attach an earbud or headset and the coyote cannot hear
the alarm sound.

Problem is, that loud sound is still there and directly in your ear, so I purchased an inline volume control on Ebay
and that solved the problem. Now I can adjust the volume to a comfortable level. For anyone who might hunt
like I do, then this setup is a must.

Here's a few of the coyote I have dropped using this system. I also use night vision. I started out with a Gen 1
scope but now use a home-made night vision outfit.

Here's a link to some posts in the baiting section that might be of help. There's a lot of good information in the baiting forum. I have learned a lot from those guys.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...899#Post2730899

With an alert system of some sort, you can now get some rest and only get up once the alarm sounds.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the info guys.. I think I am gonna order me 2 of the driveway partols... Amazon has them... for less than 20 bucks.. This is gonna make its alot easier than just checking and during a few calls to try to draw them in..

Originally Posted By: jayatnightmostly cooking grease from beef and leftovers.. and they love chocolate.... They cant deny the chocolate.. I had more luck with just putting chocolate icing on the stump than anything..

What gave you the idea to try chocolate, was it the free 55 gal drum or??? Would never have thought of chocolate as canine bait as it is supposed to be poison to dogs. You are right about dogs pouncing on a piece of dropped chocolate, though.

Better shoot him pretty soon
wink.gif
lol.gif
. Supposedly 1/2# of chocolate is poison to a 30# dog. Not sure if that is at one sitting or cumulative.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I was told it is cumulative. Seems the liver stores the toxin until it can't hold any more, then it dumps it into the system trying to get rid of it.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: jayatnightmostly cooking grease from beef and leftovers.. and they love chocolate.... They cant deny the chocolate.. I had more luck with just putting chocolate icing on the stump than anything..

What gave you the idea to try chocolate, was it the free 55 gal drum or??? Would never have thought of chocolate as canine bait as it is supposed to be poison to dogs. You are right about dogs pouncing on a piece of dropped chocolate, though.

Better shoot him pretty soon
wink.gif
lol.gif
. Supposedly 1/2# of chocolate is poison to a 30# dog. Not sure if that is at one sitting or cumulative.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

I got the drum from a cattle farmer.. that was using it for sweet feed.. I am not use if that is common use or not(I dont know much about cattle farming)... But he had a few barrel of it and one had got alil wet.. so he did not want it anymore.. but after about a couple inches down it was nice and fresh... I bet you could have ate it and be fine... it was All Mars candy.. M&M's and all the candy bars slighty ground up..had some gummy worms and stuff like that also..

I figured why not try it for bait. I knew my dogs would always jump on a chocolate if anyone dropped it (it was kinda of just a random thought..) Got lucky I guess lol

as far as poisoning goes I am sure it is.. But my aunt had a 21 yr old rat terrier she fed chocolate to all the time...

I think it would be more about pure chocolate.. I dont think milk chocolate does as much damage?? (talking out my [beeep] on this one..)

I was lucky to only have one bear attack on it.. I wish I could find another source for the drums.. I asked the farmer where he obtained them.. and he said a friend and he could not get it anymore..
frown.gif

Even after rain hit it and it was all melted and had maggots.. they were still coming in left and right.. It was the only way I could manage to hunt this summer..(i sat in the top of a hay barn that just had a small window.) It was so hot and humid down here in Ga.. if you moved outside it felt like you had been swimming, so hunting outside was almost always a bust...

I am really wanting to get out in the field and do some hand calling .. I prefer it over bait hunting.. But whatever get rid of the rascals

Last edited:
Back