Thinking about buying a 204

KyleWoods

Hello,

I am considering buying a 204 for groundhog hunting (300-400 yard max), I will not be walking around too much so I was thinking about buying a heavy barrel gun. I would like to be able to get a gun for $500-600 and a scope for $200-300. I was looking into the Savage package deals for around $500 but I was also looking at a Remington 700 SPS Varmint, CZ 527 Varmint and Tikka T3X Varmint. If anyone has a 204 in one of these models or has a different model that they like feel free to give advice.

Savage 12v from Cabela's runs about $400 most of the time. They are one of the best ready to go factory rigs.......and accurate as heck.

While my .204 is a Savage (with a Criterion barrel) that I greatly enjoy, if I was buying a new .204 today I'm pretty sure that the CZ 527 would be the direction that I would go. Possibly the best guns dollar for dollar. At least in my book anyway and I have had three CZ rifles.

I have two CZ's and an 700 SPS. Accuracy on all three is somewhat phenomenal IMHO. I do like the set trigger on the CZ also. I find the 700 feeds better from the magazine as the CZ's are hit and miss a bit at times. I sent one back to CZ and they sent me a replacement, I have six mags) but haven't given it a real trial by fire yet.

I do find the lighter weight of the CZ to be a plus but the 700 is not overly much of a bother hauling it from PD area to PD area.

If I bought one today I would go CZ.

Greg

I actually just traded for a cz in a 204 varmint with walnut stock....Its been 2 days and I have shot it both days and let me tell you it's a neat gun....Its pretty darn flat out to 250 ....It's scary accurate ...I would hate to see what it will do with a good shooter behind the trigger..I think you will be happy with a CZ...

Thanks for the replies, I figured CZ would be popular.

Another question, how heavy are the barrels on the CZ's? Whats the diameter at the muzzle?

I own a Savage Model 10 Predator in the .204. It is the best shooting rifle I have ever owned or shot, .500 groups @100yds with both the 32 and 40 grain factory Hornady V Max. I know a lot of shooters say the 40s don't fly as well as the 32s, but they both shoot awesome in my Savage. Just my 2 cents worth.
PS: I love the .204!!!!

Last edited:
Probably can't go wrong with any of the three mentioned. While the CZ's are great rifles, I, personally, don't care for the set triggers. I have smaller hands and I feel as though I am reaching for the trigger. That is an easy fix though as you can disable the set and the standard trigger will get pretty light. Or... you can get a replacement. Savage's are almost a no brainer anymore, they usually are tack drivers out of the box. Tikka's.....noted for being accurate and Remingtons, probably will require a little bit of work but should fill the bill. There ya go, not help from me at all. I like them all. See which one fits you the best and go from there.

I have a Thompson/Center Venture in 204. Not a heavy barrel. I bought it for the 1:10 twist rate. Does a fairly good job stabilizing the 40 gr VMax ammo made by Hornady. Shoots the 32 gr even better. If I had to get another (and I plan to) I'd probably do the Tikka or the Savage.. and in that order.

Either one of your choices should be good...

Love my 204's, CZ 527 with benchmark 10 twist pushing 40 Bergers at 3838 fps. Sako 85 varmint pushes 35 Berger at 3870 fps and my browning x bolt pushes 35 Berger at 3670, XBolt is quite a bit slower but it shoots lights out for a factory gun, out of the 204's I own I think the Sako and CZ are my favourite.
CZ with benchmark 10 twist

Sako 85 Varmint

And lastly the browning shot show model it's all camo. Shot quite a few dogs with the XBolt , no compaints with it.

350 yard group with 35 Berger

Originally Posted By: KyleWoodsVery nice setup Bergman, I think I'm between the CZ and Savage....or Tikka. So many choices, so little money

Nobody likes to spend more than they have to, that's for sure, but like many have already mentioned, the CZ would easily be my first choice.

Im a huge fan of the Tikka's and right now most places are blowing out the old T3's for the new models. Pick up the old model and dress it up in a new B&C if you want and have a tack driving machine with a detach mag.
Great thing about Tikkas is that you can exchange bolt knobs, bolt shrouds, bottom metal ect...without paying a gunsmith,,very simple mods that can be done in mins.

Im running 35 Bergers at around 3900 FPS getting 1/4 MOA...best fur round Ive ever used..took close to 75 last season and had no runners and very little sewing.

Here is Tikka T3 Lite that I did a quick rattle can paint job on. Topping it with a 3-12x44 Bushnell LRHS G2.

Last edited:
I'm a big Tikka fan also. I sold one to John that shot amazing, and bought a left handed one with a shilen barrel. And it shoots amazing as well.

I love Tikkas and CZs are a very close second. Savages are awesome rifles and easy to work with. Rem 700 is proven and popular. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them, but quality-wise that is the order I would rate them.

I'm very impressed with the 204. It became one of my very favorite rounds. The 35 gr. Berger in my opinion is one of the best Coyote bullets for that caliber, although the 37 gr. CRT bullet was absolutely perfect it is no longer made.
The 204 was one of the easiest rounds to find accuracy with I personally have ever tried. IMR8208 is the powder I use, but H4895 is an excellent choice also.

DSCF4501.jpg

Thank you guys, lots of good info here.

Can some of you Tikka guys tell me what I should expect to pay for a T3 Varmint or T3X Varmint? I'm really between the CZ and Tikka, I'm sure both will do the job nicely, I really like the fact that the scope bases are integrated into the actions on the CZ's.

I think I've made my decision, I'm going to get a Savage 12 FCV, price is right and has great reviews. Probably top it with either a Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25x50 or 8-32x44 target scope, haven't decided yet. They have great reviews too and for the money you can't get a better high power scope, was looking at a Nikon 4-12 but it was more money and less power.

Back