Sightron vs Burris

6x is too much on the bottom end for coyotes. 5x is pushing too much on the bottom end. Unless you have a negative prescription so your diopter is screwed almost all the way in. That will make 5x closer to 4.

Don't have the Sightron slll but have the sll Big Sky 4.5-14 and my choice would be the Veracity 3-15x50 ( what I have ) because of the better field of view. Clarity is very good to my eyes in both scopes.

I've had a Sightron 4-16x SII for years and couldn't be happier with it, especially in the price range..I've used it for close up and Prairie Dogs at near 400 yards...You will find that the higher power optics can start to suffer from mirage problems after 18x and usually have to be dialed back when that sets in on hot days..Never had to be concerned with it at 16x..As stated, 4x is about max for close in shooting, any higher and usually all you see is a blur of fur on coyotes and other predators..

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerAnymore feed back on these scopes available? Im looking at the same scopes myself.

Both great scopes, but they are different.
As I mentioned I would lean toward a lower power variable for yote hunting myself

As I stated, Ive been eye balling these 2 scopes myself. I called Burris this morning and per Burris rep, the Veracity has the same glass as their XTR scope, which is supposed to be one great scope. He said the Veracity is the hunting line of the Tactical XTR, and according to them, the best glass Burris has goes in the Veracity and the XTR line of scopes.

I have a Burris Predator Quest on one of my rifles and like it a lot. Im assuming Id be very happy with the Veracity.

I ran the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 for a couple/few years, they are excellent, they are one of those scopes that is seldom if ever receiving a negative from an owner. They track true, what they have, works, they have $1500 glass. A lot of guys on the fclass line were using them and loving them as less expensive nightforce benchrests.

I used my 8-32's not only for fclass, but also for coyotes, shot several coyotes sub 30yds and moving, of course it isn't ideal, but having a 1-4 power isn't ideal if faced with a 600yd coyote either... Depending upon your skill sets/background, erring one direction vs another may better suit you, for me, 20 years of waterfowling helps give me breathing room in what I can make work up close, distance is where I needed the assist.

I owned a Burris black diamond that went back with mechanical issues, I have read enough issues with the Burris scopes that my pick would certainly be the Sightron.

Originally Posted By: cdbLook through both and let your eyes decide.

If that's possible in the area it's definitely a good option....the downside is you're generally looking through scopes in a well lit area inside (ie Cabelas/Bass Pro) so all scopes look bright and clear. $.02

I've always been impressed with any Sightron scopes I've purchased, they offer a lot of glass for the dollar and they track truer than any other scope I've used...they are also rock solid set it and forget it scopes.

I have 4 Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes that I hunt with all the time,never had any issues with 6x being to much for any shot that I've taken. The Sightron S-Tac 2.5-17x56 scope would also be a very good scope to add to your choices.

Sightron also has excellent customer service,The turret stem came loose on my SII 4-16x50 that I've had for 15+ years. Sightron rebuilt the entire scope,plus sent me a bunch of extras- lense covers,scope cover,etc.,and returned the scope to me in 3 1/2 weeks.

Geez, this is a tough choice...so many good things about both scopes. Unfortunately, there is not store around me that has either scope in stock, so whichever one I buy, Itll be based on others reviews cause I wont be able to look through either one....tough, tough, tough!

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerdoes sightron have a varmint/predator hunting type reticle?
Not in the S-III's
nice MOA reticle though.
You can use that reticle for quick distance adjustment if you have it on 24x on the SFP model or on any power with their FFP version

Back