Larue stealth upper 5.56 16 inch barrel

josebd

Just got this,it is 1-8 twist
Everything I have read on other forums,a lot of people are saying this type of upper with 16 inch barrel you need to shoot 77 grain bullet?
I wonder if I should try 52 grain bthp Sierra?
Anybody know?

Last edited:
I been running light bullets in an 8 twist stag and getting along just fine. I would rather have 'too much' twist than not enough. Seems to me that the faster spinning bullets come apart with more 'effect' when they hit a critter. Nothing scientific to support that thought, just anecdotal evidence shooting prairie dogs.

Originally Posted By: josebdIs the barrel stainless steel on this larue?

Depends on which one he has, if it's the newer in house barrel it's their proprietary "reardon steel" which IMO from looking at it isn't stainless. They do shoot lights out though, so who cares what it's made out of. Larue did that on purpose and are keeping the material under wraps for a purpose.

My stealth has the older Loather Walter polygonal stainless before they made them in house. Love it. I've got the Ptar Reardon steel aswell.

Originally Posted By: obaroI been running light bullets in an 8 twist stag and getting along just fine. I would rather have 'too much' twist than not enough. Seems to me that the faster spinning bullets come apart with more 'effect' when they hit a critter. Nothing scientific to support that thought, just anecdotal evidence shooting prairie dogs.

Oh yes do they come apart!! Shooting 50 VMAX in an 8 twist at 3750 caused me to vaporize a few in-flight but man when they hit a PD I have never seen any destruction like that!! I switched to Sierra and Noslers to make sure they all made the target..

Greg

Last edited:
You absolutly don't need to shoot 77gr although they do shoot great for paper. Are you handloading? The lightest I've shot out of my Larue was the 53gr vmax superformance but it didnt group as well as the 55's and certainly not as good as the 60's.

I've had great field results with the 60gr nosler ballistic tip varmint with 25.8 grains of varget, no pass thru's or damaged furs and its sub half minute.

Back