Tracking equipment

Cur man

I've been using telemetry equipment for tracking my curs for many years and am finally tired of carrying around the antennae and transmitter. I've seen a couple of nice digital options out there...the Garmin is one....anyone use this stuff, and how do you like it? I'm hunting big country in Idaho and chases can be many miles long and many canyons traversed.

I don't think you will find anyone with a Garmin that will give it up other then to get a new one. I have the Alpha and love it I hunt Calif. and NV. have buddy's in Idaho that run the same. Lots of guy's run both with the beep collars for backup. What line of curs do you run and on what if you don't mind me asking? I run cur crosses

If have a Garmin Astro and I run it with DC 40 and DC 50 collars and like it. It does drop a collar now and then but does pretty good. I also find my dogs.

I've looked at the astro also....just trying to justify getting rid of my Johnson telemetry....if I was hunting bobcats or coons back east it'd be fine, but my folded antennae is almost 3' long plus carrying the transmitter....a handheld alpha or astro looks good.

I've got Schulz Wyoming curs. Originally Kemmer stud line, crossed many years ago with an amazing Walker for some litters and also the Kemmer was bred to a California full blood hog killing cur that was amazing fast and gritty. Those two litters have since made some amazing dogs and my latest curs are over 80% purebred. I use them for lions, cats, ferals. Due to work loads I haven't hunted anything but ferals for a few years.....helping out the pheasant, Huns, and chukar populations...;)

The alpha is a lot better system than the Astros,they seem to keep signal better not to mention all there other capabilities
Most people I know still run a telemetry collar as backup and we aren't in nearly as big of country as you. The garmin a will loose signal at times and battery life will run out if you have to leave a dog out overnight.

I use the Alpha and love it.. and I hunt mostly roadless wilderness areas.. just need to make sure you turn it to rescue mode so you can get long battery life, Ive heard they have some after market batteries that will give it a lot longer battery life .. I've chased that beep on the other collars for along time in these canyons... but that being said we are going to have some bear dogs this year and I will be double collaring them for running bears... stinky bears can sure go a long ways in this country ..

Back