Which IR?

Hey guys I'm trying to decide which ir illuminator to get for a gen 2+ scope. I see the ones that tnvc and htrn sell and I figur they are the best but they are also $2-300. I also see all the t20,38 50 and 67 that are on Amazon and eBay for $50 or less. Can someone tell me the difference in them. I'm wanting one that will reach out to 300 yds or so and is adjustable beam from flood to spot. Not opposed to spending $200 on one if it is $150 better than the $50 ones. THanks for the input.

Thank you Sir for the consideration Sir and kind words.

we try our best to manufacture products with the highest quality glass/electronics (made in Germany for this portion) and made in America for the rest. We're sure we could knock off $100 or per unit by going the China route which 95% of these other units are made, but it's our belief to manufacture things to last with the highest quality components we can use that are made to last for years of use. Our customers have come to expect this from us.
smile.gif

Vic

Originally Posted By: DholsappleHey guys I'm trying to decide which ir illuminator to get for a gen 2+ scope. I see the ones that tnvc and htrn sell and I figur they are the best but they are also $2-300. I also see all the t20,38 50 and 67 that are on Amazon and eBay for $50 or less. Can someone tell me the difference in them. I'm wanting one that will reach out to 300 yds or so and is adjustable beam from flood to spot. Not opposed to spending $200 on one if it is $150 better than the $50 ones. THanks for the input. if you want to be able to see well enough to shoot 300 yards best get a torch pro II 805 nm from vic

Close range you can get away with one of those cheap ones but for distance you need something good like what TNVC makes.

Family guy, let me know how the lrx50 does. I havethe lrx66 with the 850 pill and rheostat and I don't know if that gigantic lens is leaving to much signature or what but I've had several coyotes bust me and I've never had that issue before. I went back to a t20 with 2x magnifier. I am really considering the torch pro ii so that I can use the different pills.

I recently bought the Sniper Hog 30 with the 850nm pill.
I was surprised at the visible signature.
I compared it to a couple of other illuminators and it was far and away the most visible.
Attached is a daylight photo that I took of 3 different illuminators.
Left is an as yet unreleased 850nm prototype, middle is the 850nm Sniper hog 30, right is a EWT 100 850nm. You be the judge. The difference is pretty much the same at night.
I will admit that I don't know anything about the technical side of IR's, but maybe the spherical lens causes the SH to be more visible?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison photo trkyhntr. I think I would prefer an illuminator with less red on the lense so maybe the Hawg light isn't for me. From reading in the archives I saw a lltl001 illuminater that htrn sold. Is this the same thing as a t20? Also I'm curious victor which ir you prefer since you have access to all of them. I also read about the IR lasers and I assume they reach out the farthest because they are a laser beam but don't have any flood. I'm planning on using my hd19a to scan with but I still want some flood effect on my IR on the scope to locate the glowing eyes faster for shooting. This year will be my first for night vision and I'm just hoping to straighten the learning curve a bit and hopefully not waste money on something that doesn't fit my needs. I'm also curious how the 940nm would do using a gen 2+ Scope. Thanks

Dholsapple,

I have both the LLTL-001 and two T20's. The LLTL is a single mode light while the T20's are three mode, at least the ones I have are. The T20's on the highest mode are about the same as the LLTL, to my assessment anyway. Another good light that I really like is the TR38 that I purchased from the UK. It is somewhat brighter than the T20.

I generally check the T20 in a dark spot or dim light to see that it is working properly. I can see a red glow in my hand. With the TR38 I have a very hard time seeing the glow in my hand. Not sure what kind of signature might be seen down range and the hand test isn't scientific. It's only for me to know if the light is on or not when I install the battery, but the glow is definitely less in my hand with the TR38. I guess I need to take a peek at it downrange to know for sure.

I have noticed that the switch on the LLTL can be left in the on position and when reinserting the battery, the light will come on. That can cause battery drain or damaged eyes if care is not taken. That's why I always do a check.

1trkyhntr

What is the MW of the IR's in the picture?
SniperHog is listed at 1350mw.

The one on the left looks good if it has the power and focus to reach out. Have you compared them at night at say 300 yards or farther.

I don't know what the MW is, EWT does not give the spec and I don't have any specs on the prototype light on the left other than it is 850nm.

I have compared all 3 lights out to 300 yards. I used a deer archery target and I put 1/2" thumbtack reflectors on it to simulate eyes. I used 6x Gen 3 NV. I don't know what they will do with Gen 2 or digital. As you know, what one guy can see might not be what another guy can see. Eyesight, optics quality, and weather are variables.

The EWT won't reach that far. It is the old 100 series "scan" light with an IR module. I'm using it helmet mounted. It is good out to 100 yards easy.

The Sniper Hog will reach out to 300, and probably beyond that on a clear night. It is a nice light, you decide for yourself about the visible signature.

The prototype light on the left will also reach 300 yards, and probably beyond that on a clear night. It is still in development.

Last edited:

Family Guy,

My light is an 850nm. It is a 1.5 amp, 2,000 mw. It works well with my Photon 6.5x scope. If I understand correctly, the T20 is 1,000 mw.

I got the TR38 in a 3-mode, but it was also available in a single mode.

My thanks to Chuck Hunter who informed me about this light. I also have a friend in the UK who knows and does business with this company.

Here is a link to where I got the TR38. I notice it is currently sold out. This guy in the UK is good to deal with and has a good reputation. He had very fast shipping to me. If interested, you might contact him and see if he will be getting more.

https://www.ludicrous-lumens.co.uk/colle...ant=18020380487

Back