Feeling Like a Criminal

Outlander

Recently joined for numerous reasons including seeking the knowledge of other veteran predator hunters since I have not really met any in my area.

I have been wondering if other people ever feel like they are a potential target for suspicious activity. Where I live, no license is needed to harvest coyotes nor are there any regulations with exception of the CMR or buying a state lands permit if using state land. It is perfectly legal to hunt dogs day or night with or without lights. There are also no seasons on coyotes (For Now).

When I go coyote hunting, I wear Kings Camo and also carry a gun (obviously). To other people, this looks suspicious. Whenever I walk in on land to call, if another car happens to drive by, they will slow down and stare me down. When I go to town, I now change clothes the moment I get back to the vehicle. In the past when I went in gas stations with camo, people gave me dirty looks and finally one person had assumed I was poaching since nothing was in season. I had to explain to him that no license is needed for coyotes. He had no idea since you need a license to do most anything now.

I am now trying to avoid public land for coyotes during rifle season. Walking around in camo without blaze orange looks suspicious and people will call law enforcement. Night time is even more suspicious waving a light around. Luckily my state is wide open and remote so most the time I am left alone.

My hunter partner went to FWP to ask about coyote hunting during deer season and was told, "If it looks suspicious, you probably should not do it."

I try to follow the law and respect private property rights but I don't feel safe. Curious if anyone else has these observations?

you are obviously a nice person, trying to obey the law.

I would urge you to go and have a good time, obey the law, don't worry about what others think and forget about them staring at you as you have every right to be there. Wear orange if it bothers you, and put it in a bag when you sit down to make your stand calling coyotes. Wearing orange during deer season is a good idea. Coyotes are very, very color blind, but they can spot the slightest movement.

Be very courteous to LEO when you are checked, remember to say "sir" to them, they deserve your respect.

If I see cars parked in an area or orange walking around off in the distance, I would find another spot to call, out of courtesy to the other hunters...there is plenty of room for everyone.

Maybe consider putting a sign in your vehicle's window stating something along the lines of, "COYOTE HUNTING".

If someone drives by your car to check it out they'll see that and understand.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanyou are obviously a nice person, trying to obey the law.

I would urge you to go and have a good time, obey the law, don't worry about what others think and forget about them staring at you as you have every right to be there. Wear orange if it bothers you, and put it in a bag when you sit down to make your stand calling coyotes. Wearing orange during deer season is a good idea. Coyotes are very, very color blind, but they can spot the slightest movement.

Be very courteous to LEO when you are checked, remember to say "sir" to them, they deserve your respect.

If I see cars parked in an area or orange walking around off in the distance, I would find another spot to call, out of courtesy to the other hunters...there is plenty of room for everyone.

Right on, Keith!

Quote:Maybe consider putting a sign in your vehicle's window stating something along the lines of, "COYOTE HUNTING".

If someone drives by your car to check it out they'll see that and understand.

Might want to place the sign on the seat where someone approaching the vehicle can easily see it as opposed to in plain sight based on recent anti-coyote hunting activities by the PETA types in some locations. Just a thought??

Regards,
hm

Who cares what others think in your town if they want to know they can ask you.The only advise I will give you is do not leave anything with value in your vehicle in case a pos breaks in.
Don't sweet it if a warden wants to check let him check you out your not doing anything wrong.

Are you "Native" to Montana???

I can't imagine, what you are saying, as something coming from a Montana Native....most don't care what other folks think, when it comes to guns, or hunting. Most are doing the same thing.

Which is very similar to here in NE Washington...

This is a sincere post, so don't think I'm giving you a hard time, 'cause I'm not, just a bit confused.
wink.gif

Where in the world are you getting that type of scrutiny. EVERYBODY around here is wearing some form of camo and we ALL have guns. Maybe because you are so worried about appearances, you actually appear suspicious to folks. Lighten up and, go hunting!

Sounds like no one else is hunting coyotes and you have it made. Don't let the secret out. Good thing you don't hunt in a ghillie suit lol.

Last edited:
I'm more than a little surprised of this stuff happening in Montana. Camo is everyday attire here in the Ozark's.

The next time that someone looks at you strange literally just look at them and say one word before putting your head down and walking away.

Look at them and say, "Nothing!" And walk away with your head down while trying not to bust out laughing where they can see you.

Or even better, when you're standing there at the gas pump or the checkout line and you notice that they're looking at you, give it several seconds without looking at any of them and then all of the sudden and out of nowhere just scream very loud, "I'M NOT A PSYCHO!"

you should be left alone from that moment on.

I live close to 3 national parks and thousands of tourist from all over the country and the world travel to them. My truck has a camo wrap on it. I hunt year round and wear camo when I do. I always have a long gun in my truck. I do get "the" look. I could care less. I obey all the laws. I don't try to hide my lawful activity from the anyone. Nor should you.
I was driving through Hurricane Utah the other day. The town is a short distance from the main entrance to Zion National Park. One of those big tour buses where everyone sits way up high stops next to me at a red light. My AR with 30 round mag was on the front seat in full view. Some people on the buss were taking photos of the AR and some were in full panic mode, cell phones in hand calling 911 I guess.

During Bow/Rifle season, camo is a regular sighting. People expect to see it and lots of it. During the off season, not so much. Much of this public land is miles away from any type of park or fishing area so much of it probably only sees people during hunting season. I think in these areas, there are not many coyote hunters. The locals usually shoot them on sight or may blow a call after deer hunting, but I don't think anyone else is specifically targeting them. Derbys are spread out.

Instead of a sign, perhaps a predator masters decal or something on the window so its more apparent that I am one of "those hunters". I try not advertise my activity both for privacy and respect. Example would be covering up a carcass when driving through town. I also let cars pass before walking in and lock the doors after past incidents. Wearing orange to walk in seems like a good idea but I also no longer hunt deer (won't buy a license).

When I was learning to field dress, I ended up covered in blood from head to foot. I was sore from the work and walking, also hungry and tired. On the way home, we stopped at a gas station. I staggered in covered in dried blood and asked to use the bathroom. The clerk stared at me and just pointed. That would have been a great time to yell, "I am not a psycho!"

Lastly, I feel really good that nobody trolled me or accused me of crimes simply for trying to remain private.

Last edited:
I have a magnet that i stick on the truck that says coyote control. I get looks too, especially near the Grand Canyon.

Screw them.

I just go on about my business. The ranchers stop and talk, and tell me where they see them, and in that area, usually tell me the gate codes to get in.

I guess it's just a mix of Honey and Vinegar.

Good luck and just ignore them.

Man wouldn't expect to hear that coming out of Montana, I think of Montana as the promised land. Sounds more like where I am in Massachusetts where hunting and being a gun owner in general is overwhelmingly frowned upon. I just ignore all of it, i'm following the laws so F em'. Some of the best spots I hunt are literally behind enemy lines on cape cod, yuppie central.

Like mentioned above, if i'm parking roadside anywhere I leave a "coyote hunting" sign on the dash. I've had it before where I was calling at night and could see a patrol car with flashlights pull up to my parked vehicle and checked it out wondering what was going on.

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it. When people approach me I use it as a time to educate the public, I often get the "their's coyotes around here?" response.

Western MT is like most western states with it's population of rabid busy bodies. You know the type, offended or appalled at anything resembling activity other than that which meets their narrow vision of a perfect world. With that said, I have encountered late season permit hunters for elk, driving all over private land, badgering me for calling coyotes post regular season. There are butt nuggets everywhere, I politely look for a moment to educate them.

Between the Bird, Antelope and bow hunters, some areas are just crawling with idiots who believe we have no business calling predators. The solution is to hunt where most will not go(walking) and use a suppressor. Where I live, much of the country I hunt is private land with permission, avoiding all the big game season drama. Eastern MT has far fewer issues compared to West of the Continental Divide. Mostly, I ignore the looks, but do often wear orange. The 'yotes don't seem to care if my camo jacket has the legal amount of orange. ....some "hunters" do shoot at noises like howling...LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lyotehuntersad so many liberals with money had to move to you state it used to be a great place

There are not that many liberals (the modern kind) in eastern Montana, though they can cause problems for people elsewhere. Its mostly conservatives in this area, even more than before. Its just that the general public cannot wait to turn in their neighbor to the state as if they think they are doing the right thing. Simply for looking like a trespasser or appearing to be poachers or breaking one of a million little laws. Even though no crime is actually being committed.

Last edited:
Back