Summer Coyotes~ Good Friday :)

Fri afternoon, while at work, I was dreaming of killing coyotes.....I made plans and called a buddy to set up a hunt for fri night. After work, I planned to go home and get my gear, then head to pick up my buddy for our hunt that night. On my way home from work, I saw a coyote in a field mousing around. I had permission on that ranch, so I drove home, got my rifle and call and went back to that field. It took about 30 mins to get back. I walked in to about .25 mile from where I saw him and I sat down..........a few vocal sounds and some pup sounds and in 6 mins, he was charging in like a bull elephant. This is what the ranch looks like where I shot this one.

At 80 yards, I muted the call, "woofed." The coyote stopped and the Tikka T3 lite sent a 55 grain Hornady down range really fast. DRT.

I left that spot after a quick 6 mins kill and headed to pick up my buddy for the night's hunt. We loaded up at a few mins before dark and headed out.

First stand was on a ranch I had not hunted in a very long time, so I was optimistic that there would be a few dogs hanging around.
We parked and walked in following a power pole line. We set up in the tall summer grass, with my BogPod Tri pod. I extended the tri pod out and we called standing up because we had a good back drop, low moon light and the grass was tall.

I started the stand with a female vocal, and in 5 seconds had multiple coyotes yapping all around. We just sat in silence and listened for a couple minutes while they sang their serenade. When they were finished, I answered them, and sat in silence.

A few mins later, I turned on a female coyote submissive sound and in a min or 2 I caught 5 sets of eyes at 500 yards out. Then, 1 peeled off and it was apparent that he was charging hard. The first one came in to about 100 yards, I stopped him with a bark, and my buddy shot him, DRT. I cranked up pup screams, and whada know, here comes another charging in hard. At about 150 ish yards, I stopped him, my buddy shoots and DRT. WE just DOUBLED!!! I kept calling and here come a third one. Same time, same channel....about 150 yards, I silence the call, coyote stops on que and my buddy just drops him in his tracks. WE JUST TRIPPLED. 3 coyotes on that stand. Sadly, we could not find the third one in the ver tall grass, so for now, we have to call it a double, which is still good, and our third recovered coyote of the evening.

My buddy dragging one of the coyotes out for a pic.

We left that spot and made 2 blank stands. It was getting kinda late and we were tired. By now its about midnight or so. We decided to make 1 more stand and call it a night.

We walked about .25 mile from the truck, out on a knoll and set up.
Again, I opened with a female vocal, and BOOYAH, we get an answer from a pair that sounded to be about half mile away. We waited a bit, and I started some pup sounds, and in 5 mins had a pair rolling in like steam locomotive. When they got to within 125 yards they split and began to circle downwind. I muted the call and gave a soft bark, and 1 stopped right there, and the Tikka went to work, DRT! The other yote split out like a banana. I cranked up some coyote fight/pup screams and in about 3 mins, she came back to about 175 yards out and stopped. I sent a Hornady down range and it was all over; we just doubled again.

All in all, 5 stands and 5 coyotes is a good night and we had lots of fun. This is one of the old females I took on the last stand. I think she needed to see a dentist!
smile.gif

Thanx for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! Until next time..........

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Originally Posted By: utah yoteYou need to leave some for every body else. Just kidding. Good job.

Ill have my new rifle on sat morning, so sat night, Im hoping to go out and whack a few with it Sat night
smile.gif

Back