What primer???

gene10pntr

Loading up some different rounds for my .204 and was wondering what difference between CCI BR primers and 400s are except price? I also have some CCI 450 magnum primers. I'm just shooting from a bench if that makes the decision harder? I also have Winchester and Remington 7 1/2 primers to try. Just curious about what most people use for their target shooting.

the CCI BR is going to be closer to the 450 than the 400.

as to which is going to work better for you is going to depend a lot on your powder choice and your firearm.

since you have all 3 - load up a ladder of each with the bullet you intend to use, haul the chrono out with you and do some shooting.

you'll have your answer in one range session
smile.gif

Both of my .204's have shot their best groups with the CCI BR cap. I wish that it shot as well with the regular CCI SR ones as they are lots cheaper. Used to be 5 bucks different price per brick. Not no more!

im running 400's with varget and 32gr vmax. even at max published loads in hornady's 9th i see no pressure signs.

thats in a 24" DPMS LR204 upper.

ive never tried 8208 so i have no basis for comparison on how the primers will look with that though so YMMV.

For my 204 with a 24" BHW barrel on savage action im using BR-4 primers with CFE223 and varget. Both shoot dime size groups. I havent tried other primers as there were low es and good groups. I probably should try some 400 or something a little less expensive.

Back