Hungry Piranha

Wile E Coyotie

This here fox is charged with the killing of 20 sheep/lambs this past month some nights/days- 3 at a time -- 70% of them only had there organs eaten--some had back straps removed -some were not consumed at all- and because he is aged at 5 yrs old - he gets charged with the 20 or more that went missing last season under the same circumstances-

He was very smart and managed to escaped -- all attempts made by me to end his thirst- this past month i put all of 50 hrs on my time sheet- in waiting him out -- trapping/snaring is not an option-and never did he show up or come to call- we tried to set him up with some poison but he did not like the penned up sacrificial tender lambs with 1080 collars on - we tried driving the pasture rodeo style with ATVs x 4 and failed to push him up-it would came down a few days but then 3 -4 days later he would kill

so sitting at prime times - early morning / late evening was my approach - i seen him a couple times - in the area from a distance - and yes I missed him at 40 yards in the sage one night him appearing after a 3 hr sit- in a bug infested cloud - mosquitoes -swarming like Hungry Piranha -around me -suddenly he was loping along - and came to a halt when i squeaked at him -i still have the nightmarish feeling about blowing one over him a week ago - ( and 6 sheep since) - with a new version of the swift--

But sooner or later luck runs out for a bandit that is pattern-able- I had moved him around with the 4 wheeler a few times jumping him and he would run big time fast to the next cover to b out of site for a couple days then catch him again moving with the binos-- I seen him twice as did the land owner mid aft 3:30 pm 90F -up harassing the sheep--- He had figured out that because of the heat the sheep dogs had to seek refuge and where only found in the shade near water- out of energy -hiding from the heat-- probably keeping the dogs busy through the night to b sure they r tired - over heated -

I finished my lunch at the Tacoma and with the Honda loaded headed into pasture - 31C- 90F
I needed to b as stealthy as possible - and so stopped short of the first big draw and off loaded -

i had this stupid dream the night before - me - or a stick figure out line of human standing on top of the culvert on the East face of the sheep pen- trying to shoot -what appears to b a incoming lazer beam -a red streak coming at me -at light speed -each time i would miss -

- i grab the Benelli 12 ga and - head along the fence line on foot-
- my plan is to sit up on the top while having sweeping authority with any traffic in the draw before and below me---1:15 pm - its hot really hot and not a cloud in the sky- UV index is extreme - - i have a face gator on to protect my ears cheeks nose-.-the black gun in my hands at ready -with 3 on deck- i have confidence that anything - down stream of this shiny full choke barrel -is in trouble
-
on arrival at the draw - i find the wind is swilling and - i just stand there to b sure nothing jumps out --i am wired jacked and on point ready- but stand for about 15 mins - and like a gift from the Almighty - i get the notion that - i bet there is nice cool breeze in the culvert and think may b-- just mayb --- the west end of the culvert has about a 3 foot dump- its about 3 feet in the air - with a piece of sheep fence over it -- with the shotgun shouldered - i eased my way around to b in-front -with barrel in first -- to find him just getting up to leave at the opposite end -- its a 32" culvert --
-the first round pushing him clean out of the tube into the bush - the 2nd rnd removing him from my view ---- Have any of u ever fired a shotgun into a culvert --the noise is enormously ---painful -- but not as damaging as #2 shot- --- no more sheep for him -- almost perfect predator - I have alot of respect for him-
now onto some coyotes pls for easier game- - to b continued

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr. Poppadopalis1 Fox?

I find that very hard to believe!

thats ok -
if i didn't see/live it- myself i would want to say BS as well - -but in a very short time frame it became-
Fox in the Hen House situation -Even our head Tech for GOV program was shocked to hear Fox as culprit

during the weening process lamb beller alot and its -this q that this old fox learned mayb yrs back - that brings him into the area- every 3 night/day there would b trouble -dead sheep - or right after a storm-
- twice the sheep herder seen the fox in chewing on tugging past intestines trying to get to liver-the sheep already dead on the ground surround by many other sheep-

Fox and Coyote do not get along well although there is coyote in the air everywhere - presently the learned coyotes that r in the area stay the distance and keep off the HOT wire on the fence - while old red walks right through--face to face with 60 -70 lbs lambs that stand there going Baaa-- - He kills them all the same way -ripping throat open- bitting back of head neck as well small tooth puncher- probably coiled up like a spring cat like - with attack from close quarters

there is an abundance of Pdogs and GsQuirrels ,Crickets and mice everywhere out there right now - Jack rabbits like crazy- why would a Predator like Old Red return to killing Lambs yearly ?? - same reason i guess why I am putting in time to buck shot his tail-side-- for the thrill--of the hunt?- and a side order of liver pls

i am glad its over and slept last night like a BB- toughest pred job i have been on -
i believe it is over -for now--
- but my job is never done- and they r switching pastures soon -
regards

Back