New gun new questions

ronbeaux

I just bought a Browning Xbolt in 22-250 with a 1-9 twist and 26" barrel.

In your opinion, what bullets would work the best in it and what weight. 55 seams to be a common choice but my AR with a 16" barrel loves the Hornady 75gr bthp and it is also 1-9 twist.

As you can tell I don't know squat about reloading or even what the twist means. So I want to find something close so me and the neighbor can reload to find the right accuracy.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sierra, Berger, Nosler, RCBS, Hornady, Hodgdon, Redding, Brownells, all have websites and telephone numbers to help. All of there bullet manufactures have awesome manuals. Welcome to the addiction.
I load for a x-bolt in 7mag. 1/4 MOA @ 500 yards when I get lucky & do my part.

Do you have the X-Bolt Predator Hunter Realtree Max-1 model by chance?

Since you have a 1-9 twist barrel, meaning the bullet will spin one full revolution for every 9 inches it travels inside the barrel, you can shoot nearly all the 22 Caliber bullets except for some of the really heavy for caliber bullets with high BC. I'm a little surprised you can shoot 75's in your AR with a 16in 1-9tw barrel, would have thought you'd need at least a 1-8tw for those but if they are working for you, go with what works.

Are you saving hides or are you ok with lots of carnage and big messy holes because bang flop dead is priority #1??

I'm not a hide saver and the bigger the holes the better so I primarily use Vmax bullets on yotes. I've got a little 223AI with a 1-9twist barrel that pretty much all I've ever shot in it is the Hornady 53 Vmax. I haven't owned a 22-250 about ten years but if I did and it had enough twist to shoot the 53 Vmax, which your 1-9 definitely does, I'd probably work up a load for it. A 22-250 with a 26in barrel and 53 Vmax should yield somewhere north of 3800 FPS and I'd bet yotes would look like they had just been electrocuted upon bullet contact.

Originally Posted By: ronbeauxNow that helps!

As far as the 75's go. They wreck pigs at 75yrds as would a lot of bullets with head shots.

Sorry I meant predator hunt with them. I have shot a few deer and hogs years back and didn't have any trouble. They penciled through several coyotes and I gave up on them. There was another guy on here that posted a video of a coyote hit two or three times with that bullet and not recovered. Have you considered the tipped matchking? I don't know what they'll do, but I'd love to hear some testimonials.

Originally Posted By: ronbeauxYes I have the preditor version. Not worried about the hide at all. I ordered some v-max in 55 gr

I figured you must have that limited edition version because it's about the only one they sell with a 26in 1-9tw barrel. I think all the other 22-250 they offer are either 1-14's or if they have a 1-9 it's not 26 inches.

The 53 Vmax is a little slicker through the air and with its rather short bearing surface seems to often get top velocity but it's not like the 55 Vmax is a slouch so it won't be giving up much to its 53gr little brother.

Staying in that same bullet weight classification, 55gr Sierra Blitzking is another one I'd put on my short list.

Last edited:
I have a 26" mcgowen 22-250 barrel with a 9 twist shooting 80 grain bergers at 3200fps with H414. It shoots amazing out to 1200 yards. havent gone any further yet.

75 and 80gr AMAX would barely break under 18" at 600 yards so i stuck with the bergers as they would do under 2" pretty regularly.

Last edited:
Back