CZ 527 American Carbine accuracy issues??

I purchased a CZ 527 Carbine in .223. I assumed from what I read, it was a very accurate lil rifle. Im having issues with this rifle's accuracy. I ran three types of ammo through it the other day, and cant get it better than 1.5" at 100 yards, off a bench and 6" bi-pod.
That gun should shoot sub-moa in its sleep without any problem, but it wont. I ran Federal Fusion, Hornady V-max and Federal xm193 fmj through it and cant get a group. I have a new Burris Predator Quest mounted on top. Sometimes 2 shots would be .5" then third shot would be 1.5" away. It was all over. No consistency. Has anyone ever had any trouble with this rifle?

Yes, check that the rear "pillar" has not worked loose, torque the action screws properly (I wouldn't go over 30 in/lbs on wood, check free float and if that doesn't work, I'd bed it.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but the gun will shoot, just might take a little tinkering.

Are you sure the scope is mounted properly and good to go?

Originally Posted By: CZ527Yes, check that the rear "pillar" has not worked loose, torque the action screws properly (I wouldn't go over 30 in/lbs on wood, check free float and if that doesn't work, I'd bed it.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but the gun will shoot, just might take a little tinkering.

Are you sure the scope is mounted properly and good to go?

Thanks for the info. From you name, it appears you must like them a lot? I did mount the scope properly, but Im certainly not above mistake and will def check it again. When you say, "check free float," what do you mean exactly by "check?" Are these guns known for not shooting well without tinkering?

The close two shots, then a third is an inch and a half?

Barrel temp?

Free float is referring to making sure the stock is not touching the barrel.

Do you consistently keep fingers away from the barrel? A finger resting on or touching the barrel can change the POI.

Originally Posted By: woodguruThe close two shots, then a third is an inch and a half?

Barrel temp?

Free float is referring to making sure the stock is not touching the barrel.

Do you consistently keep fingers away from the barrel? A finger resting on or touching the barrel can change the POI.

It varied, sometimes the whole 3 shot group would be 1.5", then sometimes Id have 2 shots touching and a third 1" away. It kinda went back and forth....I will say, barrel was hot. I didnt have a lot of time left in the day when I sighted it in, so I didnt have time to let it cool much and when my groups were all over, i started changing ammo, and never could get it to tighten up, so yes, barrel was hot. I knew what free float was, but I wasnt sure by what he meant when he said "check" it...I guess see if its actually free floated. However, I have rifles that are not free floated and shoot better than this thing. ...I dont touch the barrel when i shoot, even if i did, that one was too hot. lol....

Last edited:
No, CZs aren't known to have problems. It is just as likely that the barrel was too hot as is anything I listed. Go give it another try.

Originally Posted By: CZ527No, CZs aren't known to have problems. It is just as likely that the barrel was too hot as is anything I listed. Go give it another try.

Ill be giving it another try, and allowing proper cooling...Ill keep you posted. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: CZ527No, CZs aren't known to have problems. It is just as likely that the barrel was too hot as is anything I listed. Go give it another try.

Well, went back out yesterday evening in 105 degree temps and shot a few more rounds.....

First 3 shots were Federal Fusion. I shot 2 and they were almost touching, then the third was over 1" away, so I was like great, here we go again....

I let the barrel cool, cause after 3 shots it was VERY HOT. I put in some hornady v max, and shot 2 that were almost touching again, I felt the barrel and it was VERY HOT after only 2 shots so i let it cool before shooting my third shot of the group. After it cooled, i shot the third round and the group total was about .7, which was considerably better than the others I had, so that was good.

I think the issue is a hot barrel cause after 2 shots the barrel is smoking hot and that third shot always ends up being a flyer. Thats why i think on my previous test day, id have 2 almost touching and the third 1.5" away....

So I shot another 2 shots that were touching, let it cool and shot a third shot and BOOM, anther sub moa group. Around the .7 mark again....

So, I think my issue was a hot barrel. I learned last night with that gun, after 2 shots in those very hot temps, the barrel is too hot to keep accurate........

.7 is not superb accuracy, but with factory ammo, and no upgrades to the gun, i think its acceptable.

Its hard to believe that three shots in a 223 and the barrel is to hot to touch. Not saying it isn't true, just hard to believe. As far as ammo, I wouldn't count on FMJ ammo to group better than 1 1/2 inchs if it was sub zero temps. Hornady V-Max should shoot pretty good. Have you cleaned the barrel really good? REALLY GOOD? You could be fighting a fouled out barrel. I did have some Hornady bulk ammo that didn't shoot good in any rifle I tried it in. Might try something else.

Last edited:
I have run into this before and came to the conclusion I had gotten hold of a bad scope.my problem went away when I swapped to a known good scope.it does happen.that may not be the problem but sumin to think about..
sqrlgtr

Maybe it needs a skim bed. It could be shooting back and fourth. Try shooting a 5 shot and see if the spread is proportional between 2 holes and three

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIts hard to believe that three shots in a 223 and the barrel is to hot to touch. Not saying it isn't true, just hard to believe. As far as ammo, I wouldn't count on FMJ ammo to group better than 1 1/2 inchs if it was sub zero temps. Hornady V-Max should shoot pretty good. Have you cleaned the barrel really good? REALLY GOOD? You could be fighting a fouled out barrel. I did have some Hornady bulk ammo that didn't shoot good in any rifle I tried it in. Might try something else.

Ive never had a barrel get so hot on 3 shots. Its not too hot to touch, you can hold it, but its very hot. Kinda strange, as you said with only 223 ammo. Its not fouled out I dont think. Barrel/gun is brand new. I am gonna try some different ammo today and see if I can get anything to group better. Hornady Superformance wont group in my Tikka very well at all. The original/slower Hornady stuff shoots better for me than the real hot stuff.

My 527 American needed a couple hundred rounds for it to really "settle out" now it's a sub MOA shooter. Not .5 MOA but pretty good for such a light Gun.

Originally Posted By: mountainmanidMy 527 American needed a couple hundred rounds for it to really "settle out" now it's a sub MOA shooter. Not .5 MOA but pretty good for such a light Gun.

Ive only got about 40-50 rounds through mine, but with factory ammo, right now its about .6-.7.....which as you said not bad for a short lil carbine, but Id sure like to see .5 out of it...with handloads, I may be able to make that happen.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller
Ive only got about 40-50 rounds through mine, but with factory ammo, right now its about .6-.7....

Nothing wrong with that at all...

I researched buying a CZ carbine a few years ago and read a lot of reports about owners struggling with accuracy. Enough to steer me away from the carbibe. Bummer, because it seemed like a cool little rigle to hike with.

Back