*--...illUSi0NS...--*

Infidel 762

Staff member
:
in the distance you can hear the pop of the engine.. Hearing it as a kid I used to envision Indians dancing around fire.. Beating their drums and passing the peace pipe while grandfather peyote brought visions.. Spiritual visions that where much cleared and had a message when compared with dreams or illusions..

Generations ago it was the real deal and not just some pump jack.. Like them, gone are the free range buffalo whose memory is at the price of the sorrow it brings;

And then Monday the winds slowed.. Walking down a 2 track I see a coyote a couple hundred yards down the road.. I froze and slowly knelt down as she disappeared.. I kept the rifle pointed down the road for a few minutes hoping she would show herself.. Then I crawled to the edge of the field planted with cow peas.. A few minutes later she was coming down one of the rows..

I went over to observe the teeth on this majestic creature.. I turned back around towards my set-up and saw my truck in plain view;

The rainbow, God's visual promise that the next killing of all life on earth will not come by flood;

Man in the public school said… he said that rainbows do not exist… they are but illusions that can only be seen through eyes with specific conical photoreceptors… For anyone or thing without the cones, rainbows have never existed;

Between the rains, you can hear the sound of water running… Running to wash this dirty countryside… wash it clean as rails.. Rails running perpendicular till they meet at the vanishing point on the horizon.. Three point perspective.. Another illusion where no matter how fast you run, that meeting point stays one step ahead. Kinda like coyote;

There is a strip of thick river accretion that runs about half a mile, butted up against wide open pasture. The boundary separating the old meander line of what used to be river's edge. Along that boundary are small berms that would be perfect for coyote to bed down during the day; far from any roads, an elevated view of the open field downwind, wind break, shade with thick cover upwind.

Went to the southern boundary of that pasture where a fence line runs 45 degrees to the river. 2 rows of round bails paralleled the fence, I used them as cover to get closer to the accretion. Crawled between 2 bails then under the fence approx 80 or 90 yards off the tree line. Setup my stool and sticks as I scanned for where to set the call. As soon as I entered into the open field I felt like I was being watched. Movement was slow due to crunchy sticks under foot. I had only crept a short distance when I notice pointy ears on the side of a berm. His darker silhouette stood out in contrast against yellow love grass.

Unusual stupidity for him to just sit there.. I took a knee and an offhand shot;

The following day saw high winds. Friday took me half a mile downstream with time permitting 2 stands before dark. The first stand had shaky hands resulting in poor shot placement. I bolo'ed a shot as he ran off all hunched up.  He ran into a narrow strip of cover along the river. Instead of pushing him I decided to go make my final stand before dark. He left this at the point of impact;

My final stand was tranquil. I took the low road back to try and find the coyote I hit earlier. Passed by here;

When I found him I asked; why do you always choose to take the hard road?
Coyote replied; what makes you think I see two roads?
tongue_smilie.gif

When I was a kid, I remember hearing Kermit the Frog sing;

"Rainbows are visions but only illusions...
so we've been told and some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong, wait and see
Some day we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.."
crazy.gif

Never been one to put much faith into a puppet.. Nor public school teachers for that matter..

Classic Jeremy!

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762:
in the distance you can hear the pop of the engine.. Hearing it as a kid I used to envision Indians dancing around fire.. Beating their drums and passing the peace pipe while grandfather peyote brought visions.. Spiritual visions that where much cleared and had a message when compared with dreams or illusions..

Generations ago it was the real deal and not just some pump jack.. Like them, gone are the free range buffalo whose memory is at the price of the sorrow it brings;

Any day that starts out with such a beautiful sunrise has gotta be a good one. ^^^^^Well worth the price of admission.

Regards,
hm

Thank you all for the kind replies..

Originally Posted By: hm1996
Any day that starts out with such a beautiful sunrise has gotta be a good one. ^^^^^Well worth the price of admission.

Regards,
hm

Since the army I have lost interest in a lot of things.. Have not lost interest being out there.. I know a lot of people are against shooting them this time of year.. On my place the most beneficial time to kill them is early spring thru summer when whitetail fawns are on the ground..

Even when our coyotes are prime their fur ain't worth much if anything. I'm confident no matter what time of the year it is, we never have a shortage of coyotes.. We have a shortage of un-educated coyotes..

Back