.17 Hornet on Bobcat, Fox, and Coyote

Originally Posted By: MoYoBomberHaving a hard time deciding between the 17 Hornet and another 204. I really don't need either one but itching for a new toy.

I always say, when in doubt, get them both!!!
thumbup.gif

And remember, "need" is not a prerequisite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: MoYoBomberHaving a hard time deciding between the 17 Hornet and another 204. I really don't need either one but itching for a new toy.

I always say, when in doubt, get them both!!!
thumbup.gif

And remember, "need" is not a prerequisite. Exactly what I am trying to do. 1 will have to sit without glass for a few days if I am able to swing it.

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinI use the 20 gr in mine, although I do have 25gr that I haven't loaded up nor shot. The 20gr work well for coyotes (destroy prairie dogs, up to 250-300 yards)

I have shot coyotes at 100 max with them only, but the [beeep] gun and rounds are so accurate they've been neck/head shots and nothing has taken another step. My favorite gun is my Ruger M77/17 hornet. PM sent full moon.

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinLol, Slickerthansnot - wasn't it you that got all up in my shiznit about 17 hornets and then you went out and bought one anyway? doh kay
wink.gif

dont know if it was me. do not remember it. if you made some stupid ridiculous claim about a 17 hornet then i might of.
tongue_smilie.gif

but i have had a 17 hornet(a cz first and then a savage)for about 3 years now. i like them a lot for what they are.

why dont you find that thread where you claim i disagreed with you about a 17 hornet? post a link to it. like to see it. doh kay?
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinLOL, take it easy big guy

you go ahead and LOL. since you cant seem to leave well enough alone little fella, it was likely this thread and it had nothing to do with 17 hornet.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...895#Post2860895

we were talking about coyotes and you popped off with this gem.
Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinIve found that a solid turkey load with a full choke can do major damage out to about 60 yards, but you can slow them down out to 80 i suppose,
that still makes me go
rolleyes.gif
and
lol.gif
lol.gif

but its all good.
thumbup1.gif

I had a TC custom in 17 Ackley hornet and a custom Kimber 22 K hornet and switch barrel 17 Ackley hornet.

I shot 4 coyotes with in 25 yards with the Kimber loaded with a 20g Berger and 11.6g of Win 1680 at 3600 fps, all coyotes never stopped, found 1 of the 4 about 110 yards from where it was shot.

So, with this small round, the 25g hornady would be the best choice.

However, I have killed hundreds of coyotes with the 22 Hornet and 22 Ackley hornet, and I used the Speer 40g spire point which is a tough, high velocity bullet. The nice thing about this 40g Speer spire point is that the way the ogive configuration is designed, the bullet will fit in a Ruger magazine and still be able to touch the lands, which means that it has more bearing surface than many other 40g bullets. This makes this bullet a champion coyote killer in the 22 and K hornets.

I have heard that tougher bullets are being made for the 17 hornet, I hope so. I wonder if a 20g V max would be worth a darn on quartering shots, coming or going.

It really leaves a hollow feeling in your stomach to watch a coyote run off with a solid hit. I did hit one on a dead run with a second shot, with never a flinch, he was never found.

Foxes and Cats maybe another story, but why hamstring yourself with not having enough gun for what ever presents itself. In Az, you may just call in a 125lb lion!

A 22 hornet is a wicked gun when tuned properly with littlegun powder and 40g speers. The Ruger 77 with a honed trigger is a wicked killing machine.

If you want to get all lathered up on the 17 Hornet, then Little gun with 17 Hornady 25g HP or a custom 25g bullet will give you a serious edge over a 20g bullet.

I eventually gave up all my hornets when I tweeked the 223 round with 12.0g of Blue dot with the 40g spire point at 3000 fps, 900 rounds inbetween cleanings with this load. The 12g load is quiet, and kills very effectively to 150 yards on tough coyotes, perhaps a tad further once you learn the trajectory. 12.0g of Blue dot in a 223 with the 40g Speer is MAXED OUT 22 Hornet, and simply punches holes through coyotes, maybe...same for cats and foxes.

Predator hunting often gives you difficult shots, from all kinds of angles and distances. Always use enough gun. After you shoot 25 animals with your gun/load from all kinds of angles and distances, you will recognize the limitations and strengths.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotyes, go ahead and LOL little fella.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...895#Post2860895

but it was nothing to do with 17 hornet. ridiculous things were said. we were talking about coyotes it went something like this.
Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinIve found that a solid turkey load with a full choke can do major damage out to about 60 yards, but you can slow them down out to 80 i suppose,
and that still makes me go
rolleyes.gif
and
lol.gif
lol.gif

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-sho...d-longer-ranges

This was the stuff I used I believe - It was a Winchester product anyhow. I was just saying 80 would "hurt" them. I know what its like when a blow-hard talks something up and it seems impossible, however my steps couldn't have been that far off on some dogs that I took past 50. These animals aren't Bionic. I'm guessing no one here is going to think Winchester is full off it because they claim 70 yard kills on turkeys with turkey load.... and Coyotes aren't as tough as everyone says if you hit them right.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI had a TC custom in 17 Ackley hornet and a custom Kimber 22 K hornet and switch barrel 17 Ackley hornet.

I shot 4 coyotes with in 25 yards with the Kimber loaded with a 20g Berger and 11.6g of Win 1680 at 3600 fps, all coyotes never stopped, found 1 of the 4 about 110 yards from where it was shot.

So, with this small round, the 25g hornady would be the best choice.

However, I have killed hundreds of coyotes with the 22 Hornet and 22 Ackley hornet, and I used the Speer 40g spire point which is a tough, high velocity bullet. The nice thing about this 40g Speer spire point is that the way the ogive configuration is designed, the bullet will fit in a Ruger magazine and still be able to touch the lands, which means that it has more bearing surface than many other 40g bullets. This makes this bullet a champion coyote killer in the 22 and K hornets.

I have heard that tougher bullets are being made for the 17 hornet, I hope so. I wonder if a 20g V max would be worth a darn on quartering shots, coming or going.

It really leaves a hollow feeling in your stomach to watch a coyote run off with a solid hit. I did hit one on a dead run with a second shot, with never a flinch, he was never found.

Foxes and Cats maybe another story, but why hamstring yourself with not having enough gun for what ever presents itself. In Az, you may just call in a 125lb lion!

A 22 hornet is a wicked gun when tuned properly with littlegun powder and 40g speers. The Ruger 77 with a honed trigger is a wicked killing machine.

If you want to get all lathered up on the 17 Hornet, then Little gun with 17 Hornady 25g HP or a custom 25g bullet will give you a serious edge over a 20g bullet.

I eventually gave up all my hornets when I tweeked the 223 round with 12.0g of Blue dot with the 40g spire point at 3000 fps, 900 rounds inbetween cleanings with this load. The 12g load is quiet, and kills very effectively to 150 yards on tough coyotes, perhaps a tad further once you learn the trajectory. 12.0g of Blue dot in a 223 with the 40g Speer is MAXED OUT 22 Hornet, and simply punches holes through coyotes, maybe...same for cats and foxes.

Predator hunting often gives you difficult shots, from all kinds of angles and distances. Always use enough gun. After you shoot 25 animals with your gun/load from all kinds of angles and distances, you will recognize the limitations and strengths.

I've actually had very good luck with the 20gr, but I hear you loud and clear. I have been neck and head shooting as well - so there's that. Not quite sure what would happen if I were to pop one in the motor-room rather than the head.

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkin
I've actually had very good luck with the 20gr, but I hear you loud and clear. I have been neck and head shooting as well - so there's that. Not quite sure what would happen if I were to pop one in the motor-room rather than the head.

same good luck here with the 20gr vmax bullet. mostly head and neck like fullmoon. but a few have died very quickly with well placed shots in the body. not enough body shot kills yet to make me scream good things about it. i do know if you make less than perfect shot in the body, you will not recover them.

will be giving the hornady 25grhp a good test this winter.

Down in Az, standing shots were rare, they were usually walking, trotting, running, jumping bushes, racing each other to the call.

You 17 Hornet and Ackley hornet guys, give the 25g Hornady chance with little gun, and stomp on the gas.

I also loaded a custom 17 cal bullet 23 1/2g low drag boat tail, coyotes ran of with them also in a 17 AH, shot through the ribs, 15-65 yard broadside trotting/running shots. After two ran off, I got in the truck and headed home, south of Arizona City, Az.

I had a savage model 25 walking varminter, it shot good but wouldn't feed worth a darn. Bought a CZ 527 American and it shoots the Hornady 20gr vmax into a ragged little hole at 100 yards. I've shot a few dogs and in my experience 350 yards is about max for it, I've dumped dogs at 275 like a rock. 300-350 they will make about 50 yards with a shot behind shoulder. Here's group at 350 yards on my wolf target from the other day .

Here's a YouTube video I shot this guy just over the 300 yard mark few years ago, he run about 60 yards or so and piled up.

I have the 25gr HP or SP in Nosler, but haven't reloaded those up yet. I'm sure all it will take is 1 dog getting away with the 20gr and I'll be all about that 25gr like you guys said. I think the biggest thing about my setup that makes it more deadly is that I have a Leupold VX3i with a 50mm obj Lens and that little dot gives you such a great reference and it just focus' your eye to the head or neck (where I prefer to shoot them). I don't shoot my 20gr loads at max because I see better accuracy on them toned down a bit. I am just so leary of moving up to 25gr and then not getting that hornet velocity that really thwaps them.

Anyone else just hear that CRACK!!!! on a coyote when you head shoot them with a little gun like this? With no recoil and quiet sound-off it is just so pronounced. Makes a guy feel confident once he hears that
smile.gif

Back