Harris bipod... why do hunters perfer the notched leg style ?

i have used both types. lock the friction legs and they are locked solid. no slip, no movement. just as solid as the nothed leg type.
never could understand why one was liked better than the other.

I agree with slick on this one. I like the friction type myself as I set it where I want it depending on terrain etc. never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Because they are more stable and more positive.

^THIS

I will also add that it is way faster for me to get where I need to be with notched legs as well.

For coyote hunting I prefer my Pig Saddle and Bog Pod

dlrshs.jpg

2j13gp2.jpg

Both the friction and notched versions have the swivel option. The notched legs are quicker to adjust as posted above.

I have both and the notched are faster to set up laying off side on a crest or uneven terrain. I have no issues with the friction legs since I can set the tightness so I can still just tug the legs out/in so my canter is even and then snug em up more.

Pig Saddle.

I have something similar, Triclawps.

I also have that Bogpod tripod.

But, I don't use the Triclawps on the Bogpod - it's too flimsy for my likes. I use it on a CF tripod that is about a hundred times steadier.

But, I don't use any of it on a coyote stand. Just wouldn't work very well, very often, for my typical setups. I use the Triclawps on a tripod deal for walk and pop colony varmint shooting. I might give it a try on a few stands this year, just for grins, but for the most part it is just too awkward for how I roll on a coyote stand.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisAll my rifles have Harris Bi-Pods, I also carry a set of shooting sticks on every stand.

What he said.

Originally Posted By: littledawgwhy do u carry sticks if ya have a bipod?

I usually have a short bipod on my hunting rifle for prone shots (and for a dandy little kickstand when it's time to set the rifle down) AND shooting sticks for sitting, kneeling, or standing shots. Sometimes I even have multiple sticks - a Stony Point collapsible and a more solid Primos Trigger Sticks. I like the TS for standing shots and for use as a solid stand for glassing for long periods of time.

Tried the notched version and didn’t like it. They couldn’t be solidly locked into place and had some slop and it felt no good to me. It might not matter, but it didn’t give me any warm and fuzzies.

Quit the attached bipods quite a while back. A tripod, ball head, and Arca rail for most stands. Steadiness is in a completely different realm and the ability to have your rifle set up and completely still while calling is awesome. I have a clamp as well....but the Arca rail really is the best setup.

Back