High Country Coyote hunting

Recon Ops

I love some high country coyote calling. This guy didn't appreciate the view from the hood on the drive back to camp so I had to increase his elevation.

So I have a question. The month of May and June seems very slow when I'm out coyote hunting. I have always thought that coyotes are sticking close to the dens, not wanting to leave pups unnecessarily etc. What is your experience with May and June coyote calling? Please share.

Where I live it can be done but you are competing with other easier accessible food sources. Critter distress calls just don't work around here in the warmer months or maybe I am just not as patient. In these situations I only go with kiyi, howls, barks or any sounds that a coyote will feel challenged by. All this being said I usually only hunt November through May and hunt PD's and RC's in the summer months. There are plenty of others that seem to have good success in the summer months but I am not sure of their success ratio per stand hunted.

Last edited:
For me at least, starting in Jan/Feb, I rely more on vocals and less on distress. As time progresses toward summer, my distress gets less and less and the vocals/pup sounds get more and more. By May/June, Im just about solely vocals and pup sounds and will remain that way til about Sep/Oct and start using distress again. By mid October Ill be back to more distress sounds. During summer months, with pups on the ground, their territorial/parental instincts high, and the abundant summer food source, I like vocals myself. Thats just me though. Many guys have success many diff ways. I guess ya just gotta see what works for you. As to your question about experience with May/June? In my experience, I still have good success calling coyotes. Again, just using more vocals.

Last edited:
unless I am doing damage control for a ranch I leave them alone pup starvation bothers me.i have enjoyed hunting them for many years so I must have some respect for them they have no value that time of year and I have always sold the fur.so just to kill one to me is like killing a deer and leaving the meat.just my deal.

I agree with Steve, and besides it is just plain too hot for me to enjoy being out there, and add in the mosquitoes, chiggers, and ticks and it isn't hard for me to decide not to hunt. When the cool fall evenings show up, I'll get fired up again.

Quote: and add in the mosquitoes, chiggers, and ticks and snakes.
How did you forget to add snakes to the list
wink.gif

I'm with Steve and Al on this one. Can't respond to your question because I do very little calling between April and September.

My season "officially" ends when cat season is over! I don't really hit them hard till late September or early October! But I do understand! The times I do hunt during the summer months, it's always at night. Mainly the heat here out west, I just completely change up from your average/most used calls to something completely different. But mainly I'm hand callin!......keep' coming! Been working out descent. Dropped 6 in the last two hunts.....and started posting late. Around 0100 hrs till about 0500....

Last edited:
Has to be a rental SUV.....
Blood on paint doesn't come off easy.
So says the box in my pickup.

Nice country, ReconOps.

Last edited:
I love going on a hunt or two up above 8000' in the summer time. Those public land hunts are some of my favorites because of the beautiful scenery and cooler weather. Plus, when successful, they tend to be some of my proudest!

I'm normally like the rest start calling in September october but with the 2 duck clubs I have access to I have no choice I have to stay out of them during the winter months.I still use distress sounds they still need to eat and an injured cottontail is hard to resist compared to a healthy one.

Back