30 Coyotes on 3 stands.....Flustered!

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvWe both know the truth! BTW: you posted a pic of some hogs "son"! You pulled the dep permit response when some other member called you "out". Dep permits are "public info" in Cali. You were not on that list. So: you either poached them or hopped on a truck, took a pic and claimed them to be "your" kills. That's the worse!!!! Claiming someone else's kills!!! At least in my book! I'm done with you!! You should run away with your arms in the air screaming!....what a joke! Be done "son"!

LOL...You're an idiot man...Im glad you're done..Hopefully, youll stay off my post from now on.

30 Coyotes on 3 stands?

How do you know it was 30?

I was out Saturday early evening with 5spd and we managed to get in 3 stands before the sun went down, called in a single on 2 of the 3 stands and no shot was taken. Wind was not in our favor/changing and we got busted.

Now to the night hunt with a Full Moon, started the first stand overlooking a huge area and no takers other than the million Mosquito's, we then drove back to 5spd's truck for bug spray, then we went to the second stand, had two singles which circled down wind never to be seen again.
Went on to the 3rd stand which is in a CRP field and the grass was fairly tall. We decided to climb the round hay bales which are 3 bales high stacked into a pyramid. 1st Coyote came in at around 10 minutes and I shot him at 119 Yards (Large Male with worn teeth and mange). I told 5spd to keep calling, the 2nd one came in from the West and then proceeded East downwind over a knoll and we didn't see him again. a 3rd coyote came in from the same area as the first only further out to the downwind side. No shot was taken.

4th stand we went back to the 1st area (Night) we called with all the Mosquito's, called in another Coyote and 5spd shot it, he either hit low or far back, I watched the coyote spin and then run over the crest and down a drainage never to be seen again.

As far as a Full Moon? We had a better night than most nights when we have called with a Full moon in the past. Typically Full Moon nights just SUCK!

Heard some Coyotes howling to the East on the last stand, only the one showed up and we have no clue if they were pups or large male/female.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Poppadopalis30 Coyotes on 3 stands?

How do you know it was 30?

I was out Saturday early evening with 5spd and we managed to get in 3 stands before the sun went down, called in a single on 2 of the 3 stands and no shot was taken. Wind was not in our favor/changing and we got busted.

Now to the night hunt with a Full Moon, started the first stand overlooking a huge area and no takers other than the million Mosquito's, we then drove back to 5spd's truck for bug spray, then we went to the second stand, had two singles which circled down wind never to be seen again.
Went on to the 3rd stand which is in a CRP field and the grass was fairly tall. We decided to climb the round hay bales which are 3 bales high stacked into a pyramid. 1st Coyote came in at around 10 minutes and I shot him at 119 Yards (Large Male with worn teeth and mange). I told 5spd to keep calling, the 2nd one came in from the West and then proceeded East downwind over a knoll and we didn't see him again. a 3rd coyote came in from the same area as the first only further out to the downwind side. No shot was taken.

4th stand we went back to the 1st area (Night) we called with all the Mosquito's, called in another Coyote and 5spd shot it, he either hit low or far back, I watched the coyote spin and then run over the crest and down a drainage never to be seen again.

As far as a Full Moon? We had a better night than most nights when we have called with a Full moon in the past. Typically Full Moon nights just SUCK!

Heard some Coyotes howling to the East on the last stand, only the one showed up and we have no clue if they were pups or large male/female.

Sounds like you guys had responses, but things just didnt come together for you...sometimes its just that way I guess.....How do I know it was 30? I dont KNOW. Thats why i said 10-15 on the first stand and 10-15 on the second stand. It was a guess, but based on the amount of coyotes in MANY locations around us, there were a lot. Im not talking about 3 coyotes sounding like 10 coyotes, im talking about a lot of multiple coyotes in a lot of locations all around us. 360 degrees around our stand, multiple coyotes were vocalizing. How many for sure? I dont know, but a guess would say some where in the neighborhood of 30 by the end of the night.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Poppadopalis4 - 6 Coyotes going off can sound like 10-12.

Yes, indeed. We had doubles/tripples in 4-6 locations around us...with varying distances based on their volume level.

All that Full-Moon ambient light does Suck . I hate going out on any Moon night when it growing bigger than 1/2 -Moon unless it cloudy . I think for night hunters, Coyotes see pretty good shadows shapes on bigger Moon phases for sure . but I don't think it goes anywhere past them seeing better visually with more ambient .
I bagged one on Sunday night 17th . Was just over a 100 yard shoot . Saw another latter in same field but was out of range and tried to make him come a little closer with my mouse squeaker but he stood-off . The Moon was almost Full but we had a cloud ceiling covering and blocking out the Moon, was only reason I went out, even though I know there are plenty dogs in that area .
Used the usual stand-by call ( adult cottontail ) electronic also .

( CaliCoyoteCaller ) ..
I have had a bad night or two over the years hunting at night . That many Dogs out there and you getting shutdown and them ( making conscience effort ) refusing to come-in, just means. .. They Had Your Number and you were pegged on your stands, or walking into them, or whatever . ( probably ) The Dogs definitely are more educated than you think and your underestimating there education . but for sure they NOT like anything you were doing with your hunt techniques that night .

More than likely that they've been called before. Either from the borders of the place or by someone that don't care about fences and such.

Always go into a new place figuring someone has been there before, even though the owner says there hasn't been.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sandy hicksFull moon, I bet they saw you.

-
I want out tonight to just see how easy Dogs can see in Big Moon . I am going to say for sure that Full Moon ambient light and even the stupid young Dogs easy make out the evil bad juju of human shadow shape and knows better to hold off a protective distance minimum of 200+ yard and more .

I was out tonight in a Big Moon busting threw light patchy cloud ceiling . pvs14 and hand held thermal unit . I know there lots of Coyotes out that area and been hunting there off and on several years . I made No Calls, but just walked heavy threw the middle of huge dry Scruffy Hayed field . Had two dogs hear the noise and come-in about 250 yard out, and hold that line and trot by non-stop . I Confident they could make out human shadow shape pretty easy .
Then I was just sitting and scanning in field . Then about 30 minutes latter saw a hot spot on Therm. Had a young stupid Dog move in just sit out about 200 yard and gaze at me from against some blueberry orchard rows for about 15 or 20 minutes and never attempt to come in closer .

What color light? I think I recall you setting on white. Perhaps they shy away from white lights like they often do around here. I only use red.

But I agree with others that they likely had you made due to sight, sound, or smell. Hunt at night same method as day.

I avoid full moons when possible, generally the success rate seems poor. Not always, but I've been skunked on full moons more than new moons for sure.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGWhat color light? I think I recall you setting on white. Perhaps they shy away from white lights like they often do around here. I only use red.

But I agree with others that they likely had you made due to sight, sound, or smell. Hunt at night same method as day.

I avoid full moons when possible, generally the success rate seems poor. Not always, but I've been skunked on full moons more than new moons for sure.

I was using red that night. I did buy a white light, (wicked) but havent used it a lot. Used it the other night on a coyote, that came to about 150 yards and from what I saw, the white light spooked him...he turned and was trotting out. I barked, he stopped and it was game over. Ive been a lil leary of white light myself since I got it, even [beeep] i know it works for a lot of guys just fine....Ill continue to use it some, and note their responses to it before I make the full switch to white.

Originally Posted By: IndexFingerOriginally Posted By: sandy hicksFull moon, I bet they saw you.

-
I want out tonight to just see how easy Dogs can see in Big Moon . I am going to say for sure that Full Moon ambient light and even the stupid young Dogs easy make out the evil bad juju of human shadow shape and knows better to hold off a protective distance minimum of 200+ yard and more .

I was out tonight in a Big Moon busting threw light patchy cloud ceiling . pvs14 and hand held thermal unit . I know there lots of Coyotes out that area and been hunting there off and on several years . I made No Calls, but just walked heavy threw the middle of huge dry Scruffy Hayed field . Had two dogs hear the noise and come-in about 250 yard out, and hold that line and trot by non-stop . I Confident they could make out human shadow shape pretty easy .
Then I was just sitting and scanning in field . Then about 30 minutes latter saw a hot spot on Therm. Had a young stupid Dog move in just sit out about 200 yard and gaze at me from against some blueberry orchard rows for about 15 or 20 minutes and never attempt to come in closer .

Interesting...sounds like the moon light was def putting them on alert and they knew something wasnt quite right?

( CaliCoyoteCaller ) ..
I have had a bad night or two over the years hunting at night . That many Dogs out there and you getting shutdown and them ( making conscience effort ) refusing to come-in, just means. .. They Had Your Number and you were pegged on your stands, or walking into them, or whatever . ( probably ) The Dogs definitely are more educated than you think and your underestimating there education . but for sure they NOT like anything you were doing with your hunt techniques that night .
[/quote]

They def didnt like what I did that night, no doubt. Either they saw me in the moon light somehow or the other, or were highly educated from past experiences from someone else in the past. Ill be back out there in a week or 2, and Im gonna give it another try on a low moon night and see what happens.

Back