.223 grain for hunting coyotes

Last couple fell to a 52gr Sierra bthp matchking. Both were lights out kills. Before them iwas shooting some cheap Hornady 55gr sp and they did well too. I only switched because they didn't exit the last 3 fox I shot dead center of the chest and although that is great for a red fox, thought I might be better suited to a little quicker hp for the coyotes. I don't know if the reasoning is even sound I guess no matter what performance I get I always find a reason to mess with new loads

55 sgk, have worked well for me on fox, coyote and deer. But started using 65 sgk for deer with good results. The 55's are plenty accurate in my 8 twist AR at 3100 fps.

Originally Posted By: hate2workwouldnt trust anything under 6mm for coyotes, ever.

How big are the coyotes in Central Oklahoma?

Thank you all again! This is my first full season hunting varmints here in southeast Texas. Did a tourney last February we took first. Awesome new hobby!

Originally Posted By: Duckman91Thank you all again! This is my first full season hunting varmints here in southeast Texas. Did a tourney last February we took first. Awesome new hobby! congrats on the win! Hope it feels great! But my pick is 55gr. V-max Hornaday! My AR loves it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2workwouldnt trust anything under 6mm for coyotes, ever.

Couldn't agree more as far as competition goes.

I do fun hunt at night with a 223 sometimes. I've used just about everyone 40-60 grain plastic tipped bullet. I am currently really high on the varmageddon 55 tipped. I even shot a few fox with it and was able to skin the majority.

I run 60 gr hornady soft points in my AR they group awesome over 26gr of varget. Last one I shot at about 60 yards broadside dropped on the spot no exit. It hits them hard and they don't go very far.

Are you hunting elephants? Killed a lot of yotes with a .22 and a .223....why wouldn't you trust anything under 6mm?????

Back